[PGT] Canucks at Shithawks - 02/13/24

PhillipBlunt

Our third line is now like a 2b...this bodes well for the playoffs.

I'd like to see us add some size on the 4th line before the trade deadline. And adding Kessel would be good top 6 insurance. Players inevitably get injured. Having a player who is capable in the top 6 and can score is key depth. Apparently Kessel has been skating and staying his shape. If he can play at a high level still...we have just added depth that makes our bottom 6 even stronger because players are pushed down the lineup

Hoglander Petey Kessel

Lindholm Miller Boeser

Joshua Bleuger Garland

Mikhayev Suter Lafferty

That's a very difficult team to deal with

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Interesting thought... Do you think he's cleared the hurdle and now his personal bar has reached a new high where term and money won't kill his hunger or drive? 

If so, I'd be good with that

Hard to know, the coaches would however, and they seem to have got alot out of him. I think players have pride, and when they know they are "important" to the team they raise their game. That third line as a whole is an example. Pat Quinn used to say, players needed to know their role and feel like they mattered. Its clear that third line now knows they matter to the team and their play is earning them more ice. I don't think it would affect him. I don't think most players play to "get paid"...they play because they love the game and want to compete and win. The team / players have also set internal expectations of each other, they hold each other accountable.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

Add someone like Greenway or Crouse to swap in and out with perhaps Mik or Kessel as needed ... or even better bring up Podz for a few games to see if he can be the basher - crasher we are all desperately trying to propose reasonable trades for. 

As always, I trust in PA / JR and for them to get us what will get our beloved Canucks to the promised land this year.

I think Crouse is too expensive, yes on Greenway, assuming he's defensively responsible (I don't watch him enough to know). Mik needs to be in the lineup, while he's not scoring he is still terrific as a shut down player and on the PK. and that value only increases in the playoffs. I don't think Podz is ready to be thrust into the playoffs. Let him stew in Abby and play the full year in the NHL next year.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Hard to know, the coaches would however, and they seem to have got alot out of him. I think players have pride, and when they know they are "important" to the team they raise their game. That third line as a whole is an example. Pat Quinn used to say, players needed to know their role and feel like they mattered. Its clear that third line now knows they matter to the team and their play is earning them more ice. I don't think it would affect him. I don't think most players play to "get paid"...they play because they love the game and want to compete and win. The team / players have also set internal expectations of each other, they hold each other accountable.

Such a good comment. Agreed. I love that RT had also been giving  PP2  more time as well. There's accountability everywhere

• Cheers 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Such a good comment. Agreed. I love that RT had also been giving  PP2  more time as well. There's accountability everywhere

I'm curious if we should be trying Joshua and Garland with Petey.

Joshua Petey Garland

Hogz Miller Boeser

Mik Lindholm Bleuger

Greenway (trade) Suter Lafferty

I would love to see that lineup for a few games. That third line would be a complete shut down line against say the Oilers if we met them

Well managed game. The refs were in tough because they obviously didn't want Chicago to get embarrassed.  They kept to calling the obvious stuff.

Hogs is proving his value and I hope they keep that Swede line together.  

I can't say enough about Juul's and Gonchar. Juul's is so coachable. Man I can't believe I used to pump his tires so much. And now I don't have to. He's standing tall. Pk and hitting. 

Moving Mik down is a good call as a checker. Reminds me of Jimmy Carson 2nd overall draft pick turning checker.

(But overpriced) 

Lafferty for Aman is a small change but good for the locker room. Hard workers get ice time. Lafferty goes to the net better.

I'm glad they leave the GarLine alone.

No complaints about Friedman either. Gets his nose dirty. 

Woo has played some 4th line maybe slot him in for some forechecking.  Might save us trading for a good tough forechecking forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well managed game. The refs were in tough because they obviously didn't want Chicago to get embarrassed.  They kept to calling the obvious stuff.

I can't say enough about Juul's and Gonchar. Juul's is so coachable. Man I can't believe I used to pump his tires so much. And now I don't have to. He's standing tall. Pk and hitting. 

Moving Mik down is a good call as a checker. Reminds me of Jimmy Carson 2nd overall draft pick turning checker.

(But overpriced) 

Lafferty for Aman is a small change but good for the locker room. Hard workers get ice time. Lafferty goes to the net better.

Woo has played some 4th line maybe slot him in for some forechecking.  Might save us trading for a good tough forechecking forward.

DONKEY!

Yes, I love Jewels/Juuls/Donkey as well as a player and so does Tocchet. Gonchar and Foote really have molded him nicely into a solid D-man for the Canucks.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

(But overpriced) 

I thought Juulsen was going to be a "tweener"...Call up from Abby when we had injuries but never a dman who could play serious time in the NHL. My goodness, what good coaching can do! He is now a legit bottom pair dman who is definitely a #7. 

Edited by Bardown
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 2

6 minutes ago, Bardown said:

I'm curious if we should be trying Joshua and Garland with Petey.

Joshua Petey Garland

Hogz Miller Boeser

Mik Lindholm Bleuger

Greenway (trade) Suter Lafferty

I would love to see that lineup for a few games. That third line would be a complete shut down line against say the Oilers if we met them

I liked that 3rd line as shut down but I am curious. Is our 3rd line doing well because our top 6 takes the toughest matchups currently? Like if we were to promote Joshua and Garland into the top 6 with Petey and they face stiffer competition, would they still be effective? 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I liked that 3rd line as shut down but I am curious. Is our 3rd line doing well because our top 6 takes the toughest matchups currently? Like if we were to promote Joshua and Garland into the top 6 with Petey and they face stiffer competition, would they still be effective? 

Well they seem to be dominating the opposition because they are so hard on the forecheck. Definitely would have stiffer competition but the way they play I just can't see how with a center like Petey they won't be as effective. It would be good to test it before the playoffs. Joshua and Garland have incredible chemistry, that is the hardest thing to develop and it often doesn't matter who you play against when you do...I'd love to see them try it out when there's no risk.

Having a big body plus a crafty winger with Petey should work. And come playoff time, Joshua will create room for Petey.

Edited by Bardown

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Late comments.

1. The Canucks are in first place in the NHL and the Hawks are in last place. And the Canucks are at the end of a fairly long eastern road trip. It would have been easy to look past this game and either lose or maybe eke out a marginal win.

2. But instead the Canucks came out hard from the opening face-off. They played very well and were up on the shot clock something like 11-0 when the Hawks got their first shot - late in the first period on a Chicago PP. The 5-on-5 shots in the first were 11-0 for the Canucks. The Canucks were unlucky to be ahead only 1-0 at the end of the first. The fact that the Canucks came out ready to play in what would be a trap game for a lot of teams says a lot about the coaching and about the team leadership. Nobody is taking anything for granted.

3. The "third line" obviously led the charge again tonight - scoring 3 of the 4 goals and being dominant in the underlying metrics. And to top it off Joshua defended his teammate (Garland) after a marginal hit in an impressive fight (making it a Gordie Howe hat trick for Joshua).

4. In the underlying stats, the line of Petey, Hoggy and Lindholm was good and they also picked up a goal on  a hardworking play from Lindholm and Hoggy, with Hoggy putting the puck in the net. That line looks good and I would keep it together.

5. The D as a whole was solid, although Chicago got their second goal on a rare ill-advised pinch by Hughes.  Still, Hughes and Hronek were very good and the D was never under much pressure and neither was Demko. Of course Chicago is very weak but it was good to see a solid "60-minute game."

6. If we were looking for negatives, the Lafferty-Mik-PDG line was disappointing. They had an expected goal differential of zero while the the other three line were all way ahead. It's not like they were bad. You would just expect more against a team as weak as Chicago.

Great road trip overall (7 pts out of a possible 10) as the Canucks continue to pull away from the pack.

All great comments. 

Are we ok with a zero goal differential 4th line? 

I see your point against a weak team like Chicago, I would hope they pressed a little more but against a playoff team, if our top 3 lines are in the positive, a zero on 4th line would be ok? 

Apparently canucks are going to work out Kessel next week. 

You'd have to think Mik's spot is in danger? 

The brass has been great at clearing out players that aren't playing up to their contacts. 

I would think Mik is the next one to go if we need cap space. 

Alternatively, if Soucy goes LTIR until end of season, I guess we are good either way but I believe he's back in a few weeks

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Well they seem to be dominating the opposition because they are so hard on the forecheck. Definitely would have stiffer competition but the way they play I just can't see how with a center like Petey they won't be as effective. It would be good to test it before the playoffs. Joshua and Garland have incredible chemistry, that is the hardest thing to develop and it often doesn't matter who you play against when you do...I'd love to see them try it out when there's no risk.

Having a big body plus a crafty winger with Petey should work. And come playoff time, Joshua will create room for Petey.

Yeah now would be the time to try things out for sure. You wouldn't want that to be the panic move in the playoffs if we find ourselves down in the series. 

The hope would be that it wouldn't disrupt the chemistry if they end up going back to 3rd line with Bleuger. 

I would love us to try those lines in the rematch game against Boston and put Lindholm out against Pasta 

• Like 2

Interesting historical tidbit:

Of the 508 players to win more than one Stanley Cup championship, 367 won with the same team every time. Another 123 players won with two teams, while nine won with three and one won with four. Jack Marshall owns the record for playing with four different teams to win the Stanley Cup - with  Winnipeg Victorias, Montreal HC, Montreal Wanderers and Toronto Blueshirts.

Let's hope that Phil "the Hot-Dog Thrill" Kessel makes it 10 with 3 Cups this year for our beloved Canucks.

Source: https://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31103#:~:text=Of the 508 players to win more than,four different teams to win the Stanley Cup.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Wow all 3 players on the 3rd line has been scoring at a 55 pts per season clip in the past 30 games. 

Thats incredible. 

That's second line production on a lot of teams.    Wasn't that long ago, we'd have one of 3 guys manage that on the second line, and maybe two guys more than that on the first line.  

• Cheers 1

We have one last tough road trip next week and it's pretty short - @wild, @avs then seattle. Definitely be good to win the first 2.

Remaining away games are all west coast swings plus coyotes until last few games at winnipeg and edmonton. 

With so many home games left we can work on the powerplay and be ready for the postseason. Crazy season. 

• Cheers 2