[PGT] Canucks at Shithawks - 02/13/24

PhillipBlunt

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Wow just wow....

If anyone would have predicted this before the start of the season, they would have been taken to the asylum... 

Alf said Canucks will get 105 points, I thought it was his scotch talking...😀 Seriously, any example from the past for such a turnover from a bad team to the first in NHL in one season?

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Silent Man said:

Alf said Canucks will get 105 points, I thought it was his scotch talking...😀 Seriously, any example from the past for such a turnover from a bad team to the first in NHL in one season?

Not sure tbh.... quite incredible... Had a good feeling going into the season, but that was more towards being a playoffs team.

The moves made suggested management saw the potential, and they have certainly repaid the faith management had in them...

Quick recap...

Georgie Howe Hatrick

3rd line rocks

Happy Hronek day

Last game of this weird early starting road trip. Team did what they had to do to win the game....

Now home for some home cooking and recharging the batteries.

PS. And eh...... Don't get eliminated.... 🙂

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 4

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

What was their dues? Losing to a young black hawks team that wasn't battle tested on 2 different occasions? 

Why can't we be the young 2010 black hawks team rather than the 2011 Canucks? 

Absolutely.......most teams try and fail several times and gain valuable playoff experience before they get to the promised land.  They started their run in 2007 with that group, including missing in 2008.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

JR has a history of doing exactly that. He extended Tanev to a six year 21 million dollar deal to keep the player and the yearly cap down. He might do the same with a guy like Joshua too. Players are concerned about total dollars. JR will extend the term to lower the yearly cap allocation. 
Hogs and Joshua get 2.5x6?

doubtful you'll get either for that...  Maybe Hogs for a couple more, but Joshua will be looking for more, I think. 

Its the price of success... and fair play to both sides... cheap short term deals to put themselves in the shop windows, and if it doesn't work, it won't be anchors for the future... great management.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Late comments.

1. The Canucks are in first place in the NHL and the Hawks are in last place. And the Canucks are at the end of a fairly long eastern road trip. It would have been easy to look past this game and either lose or maybe eke out a marginal win.

2. But instead the Canucks came out hard from the opening face-off. They played very well and were up on the shot clock something like 11-0 when the Hawks got their first shot - late in the first period on a Chicago PP. The 5-on-5 shots in the first were 11-0 for the Canucks. The Canucks were unlucky to be ahead only 1-0 at the end of the first. The fact that the Canucks came out ready to play in what would be a trap game for a lot of teams says a lot about the coaching and about the team leadership. Nobody is taking anything for granted.

3. The "third line" obviously led the charge again tonight - scoring 3 of the 4 goals and being dominant in the underlying metrics. And to top it off Joshua defended his teammate (Garland) after a marginal hit in an impressive fight (making it a Gordie Howe hat trick for Joshua).

4. In the underlying stats, the line of Petey, Hoggy and Lindholm was good and they also picked up a goal on  a hardworking play from Lindholm and Hoggy, with Hoggy putting the puck in the net. That line looks good and I would keep it together.

5. The D as a whole was solid, although Chicago got their second goal on a rare ill-advised pinch by Hughes.  Still, Hughes and Hronek were very good and the D was never under much pressure and neither was Demko. Of course Chicago is very weak but it was good to see a solid "60-minute game."

6. If we were looking for negatives, the Lafferty-Mik-PDG line was disappointing. They had an expected goal differential of zero while the the other three line were all way ahead. It's not like they were bad. You would just expect more against a team as weak as Chicago.

Great road trip overall (7 pts out of a possible 10) as the Canucks continue to pull away from the pack.

5. Defense: PA has to be thinking about his existing d-men will stand up to CUP play. IMHO, again last night, Juulson outplayed Meyers. Meyers seems to get caught up in the game and fails to process well. My example would be the last minute of the 2nd. He commits high in the ozone and got caught. From a game perspective that should never have happened. I thought the 1st Hawks goal was largely on him as well. You cannot watch Meyers skate the length of the ice without admiring his stride. If he dials his game back he tends to do better. I think Tocchet has to play Juulson at 18 - 20 minutes for a stretch of games to see how he does. It appears to me and has for awhile that the Canucks already have their 2RD. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Reznor said:

Great results, sure. But really, this team can look amazing like in the 1st tonight, and then end up sitting back to let the other team have a chance. Or (as has been the case lately), give up the 1st goal and have to battle back. I truly think this is the best team in the league, but I hope they find a bit better consistency come playoff time. And what's with the PP? Try something new. We were 4th in the league not that long ago, now we're at 8th. Still OK, but combined with being firmly in the lower half of the teams in PK, our special teams *should* be where this team could shine. (And typically, championship teams do. In the 2011 run, we were #1 in both and we still didn't quite get there)

This year's Canucks have clearly spoiled you too much (and the entire fanbase to be honest). We have scored first more than any other team in the league all season. At one point we had like 6 more 1st goals than the 2nd place team. Giving it up 4 games in a row, and going 2-1-1, is a non-issue. You're also over analyzing how the boys played with a 3-1 lead against the worst team in the league, at the tail end of a 5 game road trip. Ebbs and flows. They're not all going to be a Picasso, but the result is what matters, and no other team in the league has produced results as consistently as the Canucks. The powerplay also went 6/10 before this 3 game stretch, where we've gone 2-0-1 even without the PP clicking. That is usually attributed to less practice time being on the road.

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on your post, but at the end of the day, we need to accept that we're spoiled and that this team is so elite that they've altered our reality of what expectations should be from a team. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

"But LA and NYR have games in hand"

"But Winnipeg and Boston have games in hand"

"But Florida has games in hand...."

Any odds on what the next excuse is from the salty fans across the continent that just can't accept how good we are?

"Salty fans" can go to that corner and fuck themselves as far as I am concern.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Absolutely.......most teams try and fail several times and gain valuable playoff experience before they get to the promised land.  They started their run in 2007 with that group, including missing in 2008.

CAR went from a terrible season to winning a cup.   We didn't win with that team.   So there is hope.   It was their biggest jump in points in club history too (CAR).     Yes, usually you need playoff experience.   This teams best hope is that they can draw on their bubble run, and gain home ice advantage.    100% if they get through the first round, they will have to play a contender next, and likely all the way through after that.     When we got Luongo we got hope for the future.    Naslund, Mitchell, Linden.   Those teams were very different year to year.     Allvin and JR and Tochett are going for it.    Right now.    Back in 2007, all we really had, was elite goaltending, and a core change.   WCE era was ending.   And the Sedins were taking the training wheels off.    QHs is this teams Luongo.   So that timeline with that matches, four years including this one.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

CAR went from a terrible season to winning a cup.   We didn't win with that team.   So there is hope.   It was their biggest jump in points in club history too (CAR).     Yes, usually you need playoff experience.   This teams best hope is that they can draw on their bubble run, and gain home ice advantage.    100% if they get through the first round, they will have to play a contender next, and likely all the way through after that.   The 2007-2008 team was completely different in 2010 and 2011 and 2012 team.  

And JR was the GM of that Cup winning Canes’ team. Anyone who believes we can’t win the Cup is a friggin’ moran! 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Last night's game shows how important Joshua is to the team. He should be a priority to re-sign. 

JR is super smart. He will see what total dollars Dak wants and then extend the term to lower the yearly cap allocation. 2 mil x six years? 

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

To be fair the drunk melmacian has been saying we will get 105 points for a couple seasons now.. he had to be right one year. LOL 

Alf also says we will win a few cup so I am not going to doubt him.

3 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

i find it amazing how our third line has become so good. i give a lot of credit to blueger as a center. another thing is how suter has become a top 6 when i expected him to be a bottom 6 player. 

It makes sense, Garland is good enough to be a top 6 on a lot of teams, Teddy is solid, it's Joshua that's the surprise.

58 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

"But LA and NYR have games in hand"

"But Winnipeg and Boston have games in hand"

"But Florida has games in hand...."

Any odds on what the next excuse is from the salty fans across the continent that just can't accept how good we are?

Screw "Games in Hand", dude is a bustaroo playing on 3 teams in one season"

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1