Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

Shekky

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

4/20/69

Wow…. There is a chance I may be alive when that day comes.

btw best comment I’ve ever seen on the forums old and new. What a way to kick off the new forums. Legendary status

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Wow…. There is a chance I may be alive when that day comes.

btw best comment I’ve ever seen on the forums old and new. What a way to kick off the new forums. Legendary status

Sometimes life will present you with an opportunity and it's best to take hold with both hands 

:hurhur:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

You'd move a near 40goals scorer as a sweetner to move Myers and to give Podz and Hogs more opporunities?

What if Podz and Hogs doesn't grow as hoped for? Than we gave up Kuz for 1 year of Myers?

Sorry but trying to get my head around it? 
Keeping Brock, who's had I don't know how many chances and never broken 30 goals over Kuz?

I'd say this is some gamble...

Sorry I might not have worded it correctly.

I would strongly consider moving Myers and Kuzmenko in a "hockey deal" as opposed to Kuz being used as a sweetener to move Myers.

1) Kuzmenko had an excellent season last year under Boudreau's system, but will he able to duplicate that under Tocchet's more structured system with a heavier emphasis on two-way hockey. We saw a little bit of dissension between Tocchet and Kuzmenko last season.  

2) Does Kuzmenko really fit into our long term plans?  He's only signed for two more years here and isn't too far off from being 30 years old.  

So the way I see it, it wouldn't necessarily be "giving up Kuz for one year of Myers," but rather, making a legit hockey deal in which we move Myers' contract AND bring in another top 4 calibre defenseman to play with one of Hughes or Hronek (which could then allow Soucy to play on a more ideal 2nd pairing while also pushing Cole to a more ideal 3rd pairing) .  

You're right that taking a gamble on Hogs and Pods might not pan out but at least they'd be given more ice-time to prove themselves.  

It's just a thought.  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Kuzy as a sweetener to move Myers?

I think you just took the lead in the "worst take of the year award" 🏆😄

I should have phrased it better.  Kuzmenko and Myers as part of a 'hockey deal' in which we bring in another Top 4 calibre defensemen to play alongside one of Hronek or Hughes (which then allows Soucy to be a #4 while pushing Cole onto the 3rd pairing.......ultimately resulting in more ideal roles for them).

We then take a calculated gamble that

1) Boeser has a rebound year due to him being leaner and coming to terms with his father's passing

2) Garland returning to form due to Tocchet's more structured system (Garland looked good in AZ under Tocchet and also looked good playing under Green) and also playing consistently with one center (Suter?).

3) Hoglander and Podkolzin benefitting with more ice-time.  

Yes it's a calculated gamble but sometimes that's what it takes......and given the above, I could definitely see things having a reasonable shot at working in our favour.  

The general feeling that I'm getting is that many fans are overestimating our current defense.  

-Soucy shouldn't be playing with your teams' best defenseman.  Yes, Schenn played with Hughes last year and that pairing was half decent, but it's still risky.

-Cole shouldn't be on your Top 4.

And this is with a completely healthy defense!!!!  How many times during the year are all six defensemen completely healthy?   So from where I sit - our defense is one key injury away from being one of the weakest defences in the NHL.  Even without Kuzmenko up front, I think the Canucks could have a reasonable chance of being solid up front.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I should have phrased it better.  Kuzmenko and Myers as part of a 'hockey deal' in which we bring in another Top 4 calibre defensemen to play alongside one of Hronek or Hughes (which then allows Soucy to be a #4 while pushing Cole onto the 3rd pairing.......ultimately resulting in more ideal roles for them).

We then take a calculated gamble that

1) Boeser has a rebound year due to him being leaner and coming to terms with his father's passing

2) Garland returning to form due to Tocchet's more structured system (Garland looked good in AZ under Tocchet and also looked good playing under Green) and also playing consistently with one center (Suter?).

3) Hoglander and Podkolzin benefitting with more ice-time.  

Yes it's a calculated gamble but sometimes that's what it takes......and given the above, I could definitely see things having a reasonable shot at working in our favour.  

The instant chemistry with Petey is uncommon to have with two young guys. They have way too much potential to gamble. Kuzy is basically a 40 goal scorer in his first NHL year, and will only get better. He could be a ppg player as soon as this year. A trade with him involved would have to be too good to be true. If wr shouldn't be sold yet on players, Podz might Top the list, then Hogs. Not Kuzy Kuzy.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The instant chemistry with Petey is uncommon to have with two young guys. They have way too much potential to gamble. Kuzy is basically a 40 goal scorer in his first NHL year, and will only get better. He could be a ppg player as soon as this year. A trade with him involved would have to be too good to be true. If wr shouldn't be sold yet on players, Podz might Top the list, then Hogs. Not Kuzy Kuzy.

Kuzmenko had a shooting percentage of 27% last season.  I doubt he can match that going forward.  He's a great player but I think a slight regression is more likely than him improving on last year's success 

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Kuzmenko had a shooting percentage of 27% last season.  I doubt he can match that going forward.  He's a great player but I think a slight regression is more likely than him improving on last year's success 

Let's not forget, Kuzy is paired with the next Gretzky:

elias-pettersson-gretzky-goal.thumb.jpg.793a1270d678f394d9813ef82c3c49c5.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Let's not forget, Kuzy is paired with the next Gretzky:

elias-pettersson-gretzky-goal.thumb.jpg.793a1270d678f394d9813ef82c3c49c5.jpg

27% just isn't sustainable. Gretzky's career average was just over 17%. 15% is a reasonable expectation (which is what a good 30 goal guy shoots).  I'm not running down Kuzmenko.  He was found money last season and is a great player. But to expect him to exceed what he did last year doesn't seem reasonable. 

5 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

27% just isn't sustainable. Gretzky's career average was just over 17%. 15% is a reasonable expectation (which is what a good 30 goal guy shoots).  I'm not running down Kuzmenko.  He was found money last season and is a great player. But to expect him to exceed what he did last year doesn't seem reasonable. 

Kuz Missile took very few shots last year. He will double his shots. His shooting % will drop to 15. He will exceed 40 goals. That’s winning. 

7 hours ago, canucks curse said:

if Winnipeg gets off to bad start I would really try to pry some players out of their team - guys like - Morriseey ( pipe dream), dhillon, Pionk, Demelo, 

Would cost lots..Teams don't trade good players for peanuts,,Also big contracts trades are hard with flat cap.

• 9 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 10:17 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

I think both Garland and Boeser will have strong seasons for us.  

Garland was pretty good for us under Green and I think he'll thrive under Tocchet's more structured system (as well as playing with a half decent center in Puis Suter).   

Boeser also looks leaner this year and seems to have come to terms with his dad's passing.  

One guy who I'm not completely sold on in terms of having a good season is Kuzmenko.  I'm not sure if his "laissez-faire" attitude towards the defensive side of things will sit well with Tocchet.  

If we're looking to move Myers with a sweetener, then Kuzmenko is a guy that I'd consider moving.  With Kuzmenko gone, you can give more opportunities to Podkolzin and Hoglander while also using that added cap space to bring in another Top 4 defenseman.  

Just going to bump this.   One person upped this.    The first part.   They sure did, and yes Garland was pretty good under Green.    Also said Kuzmenko was due for a regression.   You nailed all of this but adding Myers would settle down too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

We're very strong up front but our weakness will be that back-end, especially if/when we run into injuries. We're relying a lot on a much older Myers. Hughes and Hronek will be playing 25-30 minutes for sure with that weak bottom-4. The big boys we acquired can't move the puck as well as Zadorov or Cole so I think we'll be hemmed in a lot in our own zone and rely on our forwards a lot more.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We're very strong up front but our weakness will be that back-end, especially if/when we run into injuries. We're relying a lot on a much older Myers. Hughes and Hronek will be playing 25-30 minutes for sure with that weak bottom-4. The big boys we acquired can't move the puck as well as Zadorov or Cole so I think we'll be hemmed in a lot in our own zone and rely on our forwards a lot more.

I think you will be surprised as far as the quality of these two new guys and Cole, it's not that far apart.     But pretty much agree with this too. 

• Cheers 1

I got excited when this thread got bumped and thought something crazy was gonna happen.

Alas.

Yeah I do also think from reading all the articles about the players that the coaches picked specific Dmen for their specific trait they need which is a good first pass/way to get the puck to our stars.  I'm pretty confident Desharnais will play with Huggy to start (maybe if only during preseason) so they can try splitting up Honker and him.

Will it work? Will it fail miserably? I think it might be pretty good, at least good enough to keep building chemistry as a pair.

Having Hughes/Hronek failed miserably in the playoffs as the games progressed.

If they're together then we have next to zero offense from the backend for half the game and that's with overplaying the shite out of them.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, Jester13 said:

Kuzy as a sweetener to move Myers?

I think you just took the lead in the "worst take of the year award" 🏆😄

Funny how well that aged 🤣 went 180 the other way.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I 100% agree with you. I heard on the radio yesterday that Vancouver is showing interest in Tyson Barrie (per Dhaliwal). I would be more interested if this was back in his prime. He would bring veteran experience but so would Shattenkirk. Of the two, Shattenkirk would be my preference. Although Barrie being from BC could be good for us. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think you will be surprised as far as the quality of these two new guys and Cole, it's not that far apart.     But pretty much agree with this too. 

With the current D, we will be okay, but like last year, we would be hard pressed if we have an injury in our top 4. Overplaying Myers (top pair) or Soucy could derail the D. Remember, Cole was absolutely golden for us early on before we ran him into the ground by December last year.

Having said this, I don't think the D is set. I'd bet on PA trading for another top 4 LHD before December. Heck, he might even have his sights on Broberg before then! The way he has sneakily used our cap to fill the team is impressive, and has us set to get max recovery for Poolman's LTIR. I say he'll target LHD vs RHD based on our current prospects and that there relative trade/market value is lower than RHD.

2 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

I got excited when this thread got bumped and thought something crazy was gonna happen.

Alas.

Yeah I do also think from reading all the articles about the players that the coaches picked specific Dmen for their specific trait they need which is a good first pass/way to get the puck to our stars.  I'm pretty confident Desharnais will play with Huggy to start (maybe if only during preseason) so they can try splitting up Honker and him.

Will it work? Will it fail miserably? I think it might be pretty good, at least good enough to keep building chemistry as a pair.

Having Hughes/Hronek failed miserably in the playoffs as the games progressed.

If they're together then we have next to zero offense from the backend for half the game and that's with overplaying the shite out of them.

Desharnais with Hughes would be a disaster, and Hughes-Hronek only struggled after both got pummeled into pulp in the first series. Both probably learnt their lesson about protectiung yourself in POs; Hughes tried way to hard in first round and basically was not the same after. 

IF PA doesn't make a trade prior to first Game, you're lineup will be:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Des/Juulsen

Then, after the trade later on...

Hughes-Hronek

Trade-Myers

Soucy-Des/Juulsen

I think Forbort or another cheap Dman will go back in the trade. It'll probably be a cap dump/compliance move for someone else.

The whole "Hronek driving his own line" was part of the contract negotiation and something they probably want to see in the future. Right now, you need his ability to gobble up minutes on first pair.

Edited by BC_Hawk