Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

4/20/69

Wow…. There is a chance I may be alive when that day comes.

btw best comment I’ve ever seen on the forums old and new. What a way to kick off the new forums. Legendary status

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Wow…. There is a chance I may be alive when that day comes.

btw best comment I’ve ever seen on the forums old and new. What a way to kick off the new forums. Legendary status

Sometimes life will present you with an opportunity and it's best to take hold with both hands 

:hurhur:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

You'd move a near 40goals scorer as a sweetner to move Myers and to give Podz and Hogs more opporunities?

What if Podz and Hogs doesn't grow as hoped for? Than we gave up Kuz for 1 year of Myers?

Sorry but trying to get my head around it? 
Keeping Brock, who's had I don't know how many chances and never broken 30 goals over Kuz?

I'd say this is some gamble...

Sorry I might not have worded it correctly.

I would strongly consider moving Myers and Kuzmenko in a "hockey deal" as opposed to Kuz being used as a sweetener to move Myers.

1) Kuzmenko had an excellent season last year under Boudreau's system, but will he able to duplicate that under Tocchet's more structured system with a heavier emphasis on two-way hockey. We saw a little bit of dissension between Tocchet and Kuzmenko last season.  

2) Does Kuzmenko really fit into our long term plans?  He's only signed for two more years here and isn't too far off from being 30 years old.  

So the way I see it, it wouldn't necessarily be "giving up Kuz for one year of Myers," but rather, making a legit hockey deal in which we move Myers' contract AND bring in another top 4 calibre defenseman to play with one of Hughes or Hronek (which could then allow Soucy to play on a more ideal 2nd pairing while also pushing Cole to a more ideal 3rd pairing) .  

You're right that taking a gamble on Hogs and Pods might not pan out but at least they'd be given more ice-time to prove themselves.  

It's just a thought.  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Kuzy as a sweetener to move Myers?

I think you just took the lead in the "worst take of the year award" 🏆😄

I should have phrased it better.  Kuzmenko and Myers as part of a 'hockey deal' in which we bring in another Top 4 calibre defensemen to play alongside one of Hronek or Hughes (which then allows Soucy to be a #4 while pushing Cole onto the 3rd pairing.......ultimately resulting in more ideal roles for them).

We then take a calculated gamble that

1) Boeser has a rebound year due to him being leaner and coming to terms with his father's passing

2) Garland returning to form due to Tocchet's more structured system (Garland looked good in AZ under Tocchet and also looked good playing under Green) and also playing consistently with one center (Suter?).

3) Hoglander and Podkolzin benefitting with more ice-time.  

Yes it's a calculated gamble but sometimes that's what it takes......and given the above, I could definitely see things having a reasonable shot at working in our favour.  

The general feeling that I'm getting is that many fans are overestimating our current defense.  

-Soucy shouldn't be playing with your teams' best defenseman.  Yes, Schenn played with Hughes last year and that pairing was half decent, but it's still risky.

-Cole shouldn't be on your Top 4.

And this is with a completely healthy defense!!!!  How many times during the year are all six defensemen completely healthy?   So from where I sit - our defense is one key injury away from being one of the weakest defences in the NHL.  Even without Kuzmenko up front, I think the Canucks could have a reasonable chance of being solid up front.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I should have phrased it better.  Kuzmenko and Myers as part of a 'hockey deal' in which we bring in another Top 4 calibre defensemen to play alongside one of Hronek or Hughes (which then allows Soucy to be a #4 while pushing Cole onto the 3rd pairing.......ultimately resulting in more ideal roles for them).

We then take a calculated gamble that

1) Boeser has a rebound year due to him being leaner and coming to terms with his father's passing

2) Garland returning to form due to Tocchet's more structured system (Garland looked good in AZ under Tocchet and also looked good playing under Green) and also playing consistently with one center (Suter?).

3) Hoglander and Podkolzin benefitting with more ice-time.  

Yes it's a calculated gamble but sometimes that's what it takes......and given the above, I could definitely see things having a reasonable shot at working in our favour.  

The instant chemistry with Petey is uncommon to have with two young guys. They have way too much potential to gamble. Kuzy is basically a 40 goal scorer in his first NHL year, and will only get better. He could be a ppg player as soon as this year. A trade with him involved would have to be too good to be true. If wr shouldn't be sold yet on players, Podz might Top the list, then Hogs. Not Kuzy Kuzy.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The instant chemistry with Petey is uncommon to have with two young guys. They have way too much potential to gamble. Kuzy is basically a 40 goal scorer in his first NHL year, and will only get better. He could be a ppg player as soon as this year. A trade with him involved would have to be too good to be true. If wr shouldn't be sold yet on players, Podz might Top the list, then Hogs. Not Kuzy Kuzy.

Kuzmenko had a shooting percentage of 27% last season.  I doubt he can match that going forward.  He's a great player but I think a slight regression is more likely than him improving on last year's success 

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Kuzmenko had a shooting percentage of 27% last season.  I doubt he can match that going forward.  He's a great player but I think a slight regression is more likely than him improving on last year's success 

Let's not forget, Kuzy is paired with the next Gretzky:

elias-pettersson-gretzky-goal.thumb.jpg.793a1270d678f394d9813ef82c3c49c5.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Let's not forget, Kuzy is paired with the next Gretzky:

elias-pettersson-gretzky-goal.thumb.jpg.793a1270d678f394d9813ef82c3c49c5.jpg

27% just isn't sustainable. Gretzky's career average was just over 17%. 15% is a reasonable expectation (which is what a good 30 goal guy shoots).  I'm not running down Kuzmenko.  He was found money last season and is a great player. But to expect him to exceed what he did last year doesn't seem reasonable. 

5 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

27% just isn't sustainable. Gretzky's career average was just over 17%. 15% is a reasonable expectation (which is what a good 30 goal guy shoots).  I'm not running down Kuzmenko.  He was found money last season and is a great player. But to expect him to exceed what he did last year doesn't seem reasonable. 

Kuz Missile took very few shots last year. He will double his shots. His shooting % will drop to 15. He will exceed 40 goals. That’s winning. 

7 hours ago, canucks curse said:

if Winnipeg gets off to bad start I would really try to pry some players out of their team - guys like - Morriseey ( pipe dream), dhillon, Pionk, Demelo, 

Would cost lots..Teams don't trade good players for peanuts,,Also big contracts trades are hard with flat cap.