Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

Not many teams have the cap space and apparently a guy worth a top 10 pick like Garland becomes valueless once a Canuck. Boeser, same thing. Rinse and repeat for a huge chunk of this roster.

Interesting question. If the Canucks traded Hronek right now would they get what they paid? Or would it be a lesser return seemingly for the Vancouver factor? 

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

the canucks need to move a winger before the season start. let's assume pearson is ready and mikehyev comes off the ir.. they are probably going to lose hoglander to waivers unless we keep him on the team?

The team can't be sure if Pearson's hand can handle the physicality of the game. If they waive him we get 1.25 million cap relief. Dries would have to go to make room for Mik. We only have to get below 86 million with Poolman on LTIR. 88,484,167 - 1,250,000 Pearson- 762500 Einsvei -775000 Briseboise  We are not over a barrel and we can get value for our players without adding a sweetener.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The team can't be sure if Pearson's hand can handle the physicality of the game. If they waive him we get 1.25 million cap relief. Dries would have to go to make room for Mik. We only have to get below 86 million with Poolman on LTIR. 88,484,167 - 1,250,000 Pearson- 762500 Einsvei -775000 Briseboise  We are not over a barrel and we can get value for our players without adding a sweetener.

Except it seems no one values them enough to trade anything worthwhile for them. 

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I didn't run all the numbers like I usually do but I had a thought on what might happen. If we retroactively LTIRed Mikheyev then took Pearson and Poolman off of LTIR then waived a few players we could have enough to sign Bear. Then on the first day of the season we could activate Mikheyev and LTIR Bear and Poolman. I'm not sure if the numbers would work yet.

Not sure the management group has made the jump to the new forum for inspiration, I hope they do soon 😎

At the end of the day we just have to wait and see what happens I'd like to see at least Myers traded his 5 mil bonus is paid now and is only owed 1mil now so it may be not as hard as one may think if Vancouver retains any salary. A few articles I have read suggest Vancouver retaining 3 mil at that cap hit. I don't know what is going to happen but I look forward to something happening over nothing happening.

Edited by Shekky

Just now, RWMc1 said:

Then we keep them. We don't have to add assets to get rid of a forward.

Sooner or later they need to get rid of at least one winger. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Myers go but really that’s unlikely to start the season. Maybe the Canucks can offload him if they retain but I just don’t see them doing so. 

8 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

Sooner or later they need to get rid of at least one winger. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Myers go but really that’s unlikely to start the season. Maybe the Canucks can offload him if they retain but I just don’t see them doing so. 

We don't have to just give a winger away though. We can get under the cap with the players we have now.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

We don't have to just give a winger away though. We can get under the cap with the players we have now.

It’s not just about getting under the cap. It’s about actually improving too. Hanging on to any players who have no trade value, inflated contracts, and who haven’t managed to fit in with the team is really just fear and misjudgment though, not good asset management. 

The Canucks should not have been a cap ceiling team for many years now based on what they actually accomplish as a team. 

They need a significant change to the makeup of the roster not just tinkering around the edges. They have made a few decent additions but really too many overpaid players to ever get out of the rut. 

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

We can get under the cap with the players we have now.

Yeah there's a couple options which includes paying guys NHL salaries to play in the AHL. I'd prefer that to a trade as they will need that depth for when the injuries start to stack up during the year, but most importantly I prefer it because it costs the Aquillini's more money to do.

16 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

It’s not just about getting under the cap. It’s about actually improving too. Hanging on to any players who have no trade value, inflated contracts, and who haven’t managed to fit in with the team is really just fear and misjudgment though, not good asset management. 

The Canucks should not have been a cap ceiling team for many years now based on what they actually accomplish as a team. 

They need a significant change to the makeup of the roster not just tinkering around the edges. They have made a few decent additions but really too many overpaid players to ever get out of the rut. 

Exactly. This team needs to move out either Garland or Boeser for an upgrade. Maybe both to be honest, and that's on top of trading Beauvillier or letting him expire at the end of the year. Too much money tied up in mediocre wingers who lack a strong two way game.

17 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

They bought out OEL so they could make some summer moves without having to add a bunch of sweeteners to get rid of the likes of Pearson, Beauvillier, Myers and Garland.

I agree they need to make some moves and get rid of some deadweight, but I don't think they are gonna trade picks and prospects to do it.  If they were gonna do it, they would have done it already.

I can see them making a hockey trade for money in and money out.  They can get cap compliant even with the roster they have with some maneuvering of players to Abby.  They could send Pearson to Abby for example to save $1.15 million on the cap.  They could also put Mikheyev on LTIR to start the year.  I think they may do that as it seems he may not be ready by game 1...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

i doubt they waive pearson for the sake of waiving pearson.. unless he have an absolutely trash training camp. after the PR fiasco with the pearson injury not sure you waive pearson unless he can't play. let's assume pearson and mikheyev is healthy they have 15 forwards. we have no roster spots for players not even for cap reasons. are you going to play hoglander on a 4th line grinder just for the sake of not have to put him on waivers? right now wingers we have boeser kuz garland mikheyev beauvillier, pearson, i really dont see a spot that fits hoglander in the top 9 and let's not forget we still have podkolzin whom i don't even think the canucks will give him a chance to make the nhl roster from training camp fair or not because there's no spots available. i wonder if podkolzin would even stay in vancouver if he was to spend another season in the AHL with no chance of making the team unless we have some injury. cap wise i'm not too worried even if we dont waive pearson we'll be fine because one way or another either pearson or hoglander doesn't make the team but i'm going to lean towards hoglander unless they make a roster spot because pearson adds way more value to the bottom 6 role than hoglander. honestly this preseason is going to suck for the rookie forwards.. none of them have a chance of making the team unless the team clears roster spots.. the only spots available i guess is the 4th line?? not sure if any of the rookies are suitable for those position.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Columbus is a tire fire right now.  Boone Jenner might want out.  I'd go hard after Jenner and Andrew Peeke...

With Pearson as a throw in???

I can dream lol.

My guess is Myers , Beau , Amen , Garland.  Seems a couple have impressed at the young stars so far.

• Cheers 1

Dhali seems to think that something is in the works.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-canucks-aggressively-trying-to-make-a-trade-ahead-of-regular-season

Idk how to post the whole article but this seems to be the important quote.

“I think the Canucks are aggressively trying to make a trade right now, folks,” Dhaliwal said. “Keep an eye on it, they’re trying to move a body to create cap space.
“The season is upon us, they’re over the cap, there are LTIR candidates but they also need to move a body so I think that they are feverishly working the phones right now trying to move a body,” Dhaliwal added. “We’ll see how that goes this week.”
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rubik said:

that's not very encouraging... seems like every time management is aggressively pursuing a trade/signing, we usually end up with the short end of the stick lol

Name me a single time Allvin and Rutherford ended up with the short end of the stick. Aman? Joshua? Lazar? Schenn? Wolanin? Kuzmenko? Beauvillier, Raty and a 1st? Hronek? McWard? Hirose? Sasson? 

It's time to get over the Post Benning Stress Disorder.  This current management group is competent. Don't group them together with the absolute joke of a clown we had for 7 years prior...

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1