Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Would you be happy if it was Seth Jones?   Sure hope they aren't in the midst of making another OEL mistake lol.   Seth Jones, 2 retained might be ok.   Might not be too.   Guessing that trade was Pearson.    Canucks don't have to do anything else at this point.   It's going to take time to fix this team.  

Is Seth Jones really THAT bad? (Honest question.  I didn't follow Chicago very closely) Or is it due to the team that he was on?  I thought that he was pretty good in Columbus and that there was a reason why he got such a huge contract.  What happened to him?

Disclaimer: I don't want him or his contract.  Just curious about the player and how/why his reputation tanked so fast.

44 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Is Seth Jones really THAT bad? (Honest question.  I didn't follow Chicago very closely) Or is it due to the team that he was on?  I thought that he was pretty good in Columbus and that there was a reason why he got such a huge contract.  What happened to him?

Disclaimer: I don't want him or his contract.  Just curious about the player and how/why his reputation tanked so fast.

The video compilations of his last 3 years or so are hilarious. He's terrible

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I think both Garland and Boeser will have strong seasons for us.  

Garland was pretty good for us under Green and I think he'll thrive under Tocchet's more structured system (as well as playing with a half decent center in Puis Suter).   

Boeser also looks leaner this year and seems to have come to terms with his dad's passing.  

One guy who I'm not completely sold on in terms of having a good season is Kuzmenko.  I'm not sure if his "laissez-faire" attitude towards the defensive side of things will sit well with Tocchet.  

If we're looking to move Myers with a sweetener, then Kuzmenko is a guy that I'd consider moving.  With Kuzmenko gone, you can give more opportunities to Podkolzin and Hoglander while also using that added cap space to bring in another Top 4 defenseman.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

Steadily declining play, not great defensively, giant contract... And he's a bit of an ignorant ass hat.

Not great on the ice, or in the room, all for a giant contract.... Where do we sign up?!🤩

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I don't think Jones is as good as he used to be but I also don't think he is terrible either. Playing big minutes on defense for a terrible team is gonna make most players look a lot worse than they are. He was overpaid the minute he signed his current contract though. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Garland was pretty good for us under Green and I think he'll thrive under Tocchet's more structured system (as well as playing with a half decent center in Puis Suter).   

Boeser also looks leaner this year and seems to have come to terms with his dad's passing.  

One guy who I'm not completely sold on in terms of having a good season is Kuzmenko.  I'm not sure if his "laissez-faire" attitude towards the defensive side of things will sit well with Tocchet.  

If we're looking to move Myers with a sweetener, then Kuzmenko is a guy that I'd consider moving.  With Kuzmenko gone, you can give more opportunities to Podkolzin and Hoglander while also using that added cap space to bring in another Top 4 defenseman.  

not gonna happen. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You'd move a near 40goals scorer as a sweetner to move Myers and to give Podz and Hogs more opporunities?

What if Podz and Hogs doesn't grow as hoped for? Than we gave up Kuz for 1 year of Myers?

Sorry but trying to get my head around it? 
Keeping Brock, who's had I don't know how many chances and never broken 30 goals over Kuz?

I'd say this is some gamble...

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You'd move a near 40goals scorer as a sweetner to move Myers and to give Podz and Hogs more opporunities?

What if Podz and Hogs doesn't grow as hoped for? Than we gave up Kuz for 1 year of Myers?

Sorry but trying to get my head around it? 
Keeping Brock, who's had I don't know how many chances and never broken 30 goals over Kuz?

I'd say this is some gamble...

Totally agree with everything except Boeser has had injuries that prevented him from scoring multiple 30 goal seasons along with multiple shortened seasons. Battled mental distractions for the last 2 seasons (which I called it he would have an even tougher season after his dad passed away). He has led the team in points twice and is still young.

definitely wouldnt move Kuzmenko as a sweetener, hes a main piece in a trade. Personally I would be trying to move Kuzmenko soon. 2 years remaining and his next deal is going to be costly. Not only that but he’ll have plateaued most likely and his skating is not the prettiest. His corner work, tight turns etc is highly explosive, but his stride is a little tough to watch. Though he has been working on that pretty heavily. Kuzmenko at the end of next year could fetch us a very solid RFA and some picks to keep the wheels rolling.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Totally agree with everything except Boeser has had injuries that prevented him from scoring multiple 30 goal seasons along with multiple shortened seasons. Battled mental distractions for the last 2 seasons (which I called it he would have an even tougher season after his dad passed away). He has led the team in points twice and is still young.

definitely wouldnt move Kuzmenko as a sweetener, hes a main piece in a trade. Personally I would be trying to move Kuzmenko soon. 2 years remaining and his next deal is going to be costly. Not only that but he’ll have plateaued most likely and his skating is not the prettiest. His corner work, tight turns etc is highly explosive, but his stride is a little tough to watch. Though he has been working on that pretty heavily. Kuzmenko at the end of next year could fetch us a very solid RFA and some picks to keep the wheels rolling.

My only concern is 

A: Regarding Boeser, his trials and tribulations are all very well documented, and nobody would be kore pleased than me, if he turned it around and scored 30 goals while playing a heavier game.. i'm not sure its going to happen though, and here lays my concern. 
Despite Kuz not being the best a playing both ends of the ice I still fancy him to give us a good return goal wise. Especially with a pumped up Petey to run the show. 

On this note may I add, that I don't totally oppose your idea, and actually feel positive that there are now several ways on us improving the team. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I think the trade was the Pearson trade wasn’t it? 

Probs, was mostly be facetious

But it'd be interesting if management had one more move in them before the season, I'm not expecting one though

Any further moves will probably be AHL call ups, guys being sent down to the AHL, or trades because of injuries

Whether we buy/sell is anyone's guess but that's a ways off 

46 minutes ago, spook007 said:

My only concern is 

A: Regarding Boeser, his trials and tribulations are all very well documented, and nobody would be kore pleased than me, if he turned it around and scored 30 goals while playing a heavier game.. i'm not sure its going to happen though, and here lays my concern. 
Despite Kuz not being the best a playing both ends of the ice I still fancy him to give us a good return goal wise. Especially with a pumped up Petey to run the show. 

On this note may I add, that I don't totally oppose your idea, and actually feel positive that there are now several ways on us improving the team. 

One thing I did notice that actually began to stand out when watching Boeser last season, is as time went on, the more games under Tocchet, the more I noticed Boesers battle and work along the walls become stronger and more of an effort to retrieve pucks/take away pucks. He would either battle to win the puck or if he had support close by; he was tying the guy up and letting support pick the puck up. In his game alone it was something that became noticeable. So hopefully with the offseason work he focused on this past summer, he’ll have an even stronger season and a better 2way impact in games

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I would only want to move Kuzmenko if they decided to blow it all up and start a proper rebuild. 

Proper rebuild?? We are soooo far past needing a rebuild.

We have a franchise goalie, franchise dman, franchise 1C with plenty of support in JT, Boeser, Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, Mikheyev, Garland, a proper bottom 6, decent top 4, we have youth in the pipeline for the first time in ages…. Now. Its about retooling and extending our window of competing. Sure we missed playoffs, we had horrendous goaltending performances up until Demko came back from injury. Had he played at the level he did after injury, before injury…. We would have most likely been a playoff team. Most likely a WC team because Spencer Martin shit the bed completely. We went 3-10-2 in the first 15 games with Demko where he let in countless weak goals and we were 0-5-2 to start where we lead going into the 3rd period in most if not all of those games and blew the leads. We missed playoffs by 13 points. The year prior, 5 guys showed up to play, Hughes, Demko, Miller, OEL and Myers as a dpair were top 5 shutdown pair in the league that season. The rest of our forwards did SFA for nearly half a season, Pettersson being one of the worst to struggle. Took him 44 games to finally get some traction. This team is learning along the way. Pettersson learned in 2021-22 that showing up to camp last minute had him struggle hard for over half a season…. 2022-23 he showed up early and tore it up from day 1. These are the trials and tribulations with a rebuild… learning what it takes to be a consummate pro. Have faith in the upcoming season. We addressed areas of concern, the bottom 6, made some changes on the blueline to be a little eavier and a bit more shot suppression AND addressed our back up goaltending concern just incase we do see another injury for a period of time. We can score just as well as pretty much every top team in the league. We were 13th in goals for and 24th in fewest goals against. Nearly 3/4 of our season our goalies let in a weak goal… -55GSAA. Hard to win games when your goalies let in that many weak goals. Whereas Bostons goaltending was legendary, they had +63GSAA meaning they stole a goal from the opposing team 3/4 of the season. To me Boston heavily over achieved and our goaltending severely underachieved. Like im not even asking for top goaltending performances when Demko went down, just league average would have sufficed. We would have won so many games with just AVERAGE goaltending…, not ECHL level goaltending. Look what happened to Boston. The playoffs hit and Ullmark and Swayman stopped standing on their head was just below average… they lost the series. It wasnt even poor goaltending, it was slightly below average and the team infront of him couldnt get it done. Matter of fact each teams goaltending was below average… Boston should have mopped up if they truly were that good of a “team” but they really werent. It was goaltending and Pastrnak all season long.

Here’s the 1st round numbers

BOS

-1.00 GSAA Swayman 2GP 

-1.99 GSAA Ullmark 6GP

FLA

-0.37 GSAA Lyon 1GP

-2.37 GSAA Bobrovsky 6GP

-2.99 vs -2.74 

it was basically even goaltending. Florida just had the better team. 

We will make playoffs.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

One thing I did notice that actually began to stand out when watching Boeser last season, is as time went on, the more games under Tocchet, the more I noticed Boesers battle and work along the walls become stronger and more of an effort to retrieve pucks/take away pucks. He would either battle to win the puck or if he had support close by; he was tying the guy up and letting support pick the puck up. In his game alone it was something that became noticeable. So hopefully with the offseason work he focused on this past summer, he’ll have an even stronger season and a better 2way impact in games

That is true, and we can all hope he can stay injury free, which would be a huge start. 
I personally would probably hang tight, until next season, when Myers is gone regardless, and so will Beau be, so a lot of room should open. If Brock and Podz etc has shown improvement, we cam ship out Kuz. 
I do however get, that if we wait a year, there are contracts that may take a good slice of the cake, so it depends on PA and if he can swing a trade that make is worth while for us, to let go of Kuz... they need to push on now, as they have a salary break just now, and need to make it work, while the oppotunity is there. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Proper rebuild?? We are soooo far past needing a rebuild.

We have a franchise goalie, franchise dman, franchise 1C with plenty of support in JT, Boeser, Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, Mikheyev, Garland, a proper bottom 6, decent top 4, we have youth in the pipeline for the first time in ages…. Now. Its about retooling and extending our window of competing. Sure we missed playoffs, we had horrendous goaltending performances up until Demko came back from injury. Had he played at the level he did after injury, before injury…. We would have most likely been a playoff team. Most likely a WC team because Spencer Martin shit the bed completely. We went 3-10-2 in the first 15 games with Demko where he let in countless weak goals and we were 0-5-2 to start where we lead going into the 3rd period in most if not all of those games and blew the leads. We missed playoffs by 13 points. The year prior, 5 guys showed up to play, Hughes, Demko, Miller, OEL and Myers as a dpair were top 5 shutdown pair in the league that season. The rest of our forwards did SFA for nearly half a season, Pettersson being one of the worst to struggle. Took him 44 games to finally get some traction. This team is learning along the way. Pettersson learned in 2021-22 that showing up to camp last minute had him struggle hard for over half a season…. 2022-23 he showed up early and tore it up from day 1. These are the trials and tribulations with a rebuild… learning what it takes to be a consummate pro. Have faith in the upcoming season. We addressed areas of concern, the bottom 6, made some changes on the blueline to be a little eavier and a bit more shot suppression AND addressed our back up goaltending concern just incase we do see another injury for a period of time. We can score just as well as pretty much every top team in the league. We were 13th in goals for and 24th in fewest goals against. Nearly 3/4 of our season our goalies let in a weak goal… -55GSAA. Hard to win games when your goalies let in that many weak goals. Whereas Bostons goaltending was legendary, they had +63GSAA meaning they stole a goal from the opposing team 3/4 of the season. To me Boston heavily over achieved and our goaltending severely underachieved. Like im not even asking for top goaltending performances when Demko went down, just league average would have sufficed. We would have won so many games with just AVERAGE goaltending…, not ECHL level goaltending. Look what happened to Boston. The playoffs hit and Ullmark and Swayman stopped standing on their head was just below average… they lost the series. It wasnt even poor goaltending, it was slightly below average and the team infront of him couldnt get it done. Matter of fact each teams goaltending was below average… Boston should have mopped up if they truly were that good of a “team” but they really werent. It was goaltending and Pastrnak all season long.

Here’s the 1st round numbers

BOS

-1.00 GSAA Swayman 2GP 

-1.99 GSAA Ullmark 6GP

FLA

-0.37 GSAA Lyon 1GP

-2.37 GSAA Bobrovsky 6GP

-2.99 vs -2.74 

it was basically even goaltending. Florida just had the better team. 

We will make playoffs.

Yes we need to push now, for two reason. 
They cap penalty will come into play soon, and the management needs to see if the team is actually going places or not...

if this team can make the play off, with peteys extension coming up, Kuz at that stage going into his last year etc., I may also be in the team blow it up. 
Hold on to Huges and maybe Hronek, and start a fire sale. 
But for now, I want to see, what the team assembled can achieve before, its even being discussed. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes we need to push now, for two reason. 
They cap penalty will come into play soon, and the management needs to see if the team is actually going places or not...

if this team can make the play off, with peteys extension coming up, Kuz at that stage going into his last year etc., I may also be in the team blow it up. 
Hold on to Huges and maybe Hronek, and start a fire sale. 
But for now, I want to see, what the team assembled can achieve before, its even being discussed. 

Luckily there will be a 4mil cap rise in 2024-25 which will pretty much completely offset the penalty.. but regardless its wasted cap space nonetheless.

I really disliked the OEL buyout… far too short sighted imo. There were plenty of other ways to stabilize our cap situation now and down the road. 
I would have rather retained 50% on Boeser or Garland and got a pick in the first 2 rounds, be it a late 1st/early 2nd for Boeser or  a early to mid 2nd for Garland with 50% retained. 
I would have preferred moves with retention over a buyout because you 1) help settle your cap situation in shorter time and 2) get some sort of pick or b level prospect with potential… rather than eat cap for several years. 

Edited by AnthonyG

16 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Luckily there will be a 4mil cap rise in 2024-25 which will pretty much completely offset the penalty.. but regardless its wasted cap space nonetheless.

I really disliked the OEL buyout… far too short sighted imo. There were plenty of other ways to stabilize our cap situation now and down the road. 
I would have rather retained 50% on Boeser or Garland and got a pick in the first 2 rounds, be it a late 1st/early 2nd for Boeser or  a early to mid 2nd for Garland with 50% retained. 
Myers and Beauvillier would be off the books, 2-3 years later we would only be dealing with 2.5-3.7 mil in cap penalties. 

I was somewhat surprised, as I thought next summer Myers will be history, and it'll only be one stinking contract to carry, for 3 years. 
I also thought one of the 3 wingers were going to pay the price, but they obviously weren't able to move them and their cap. 
i am sure all avenues were tried before they let go of OEL. 
@Elias Pettersson called it, for that very reason (as far as I remember)... buying him out gave the team two years to figure out, which direction to take in the future IE are they good enough to make any noise.
Also think the owners may have a few things to say atthis stage.  
PS. As you rightfully say, the cap is going to rise to cover the OEL cap hit, but in the grand scheme of things, its like fighting with one arm tied behind your back...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Billabong said:

jones has a “Myers” streak in him where he has moments of “what the hell are you thinking?!” 

So I’ll sort of defend Jones on that play right there?cant believe I just said that… anyways… so he wasnt exactly wrong to jump out of the zone….

Colorado gained possession briefly, Jones had the right idea on this play, to back out of the zone for 2 reasons

gap control and to not get caught flat footed. If colorado began to break out, gap control is gone and 1 dman is behind the play and the other is flat footed. Or if Kane turned the puck over/broken pass off a piece of equiment that leads to Colorado’s possesion/break out. Problem is he didnt trust wether or not Kane was in control and going to be able to make a clean pass or keep possession/shake off the attack. Of course Kane being Kane did what Kane does. Jones just couldnt make a confident risk assessment of the situation. At least he is somewhat thinking defensively? Lol

Edited by AnthonyG