Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

Shekky

26 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

I 100% agree with you. I heard on the radio yesterday that Vancouver is showing interest in Tyson Barrie (per Dhaliwal). I would be more interested if this was back in his prime. He would bring veteran experience but so would Shattenkirk. Of the two, Shattenkirk would be my preference. Although Barrie being from BC could be good for us. 

Maybe Garland out for cap and Barrie signed for cheap? Open 4 mil in cap and have Barrie. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Desharnais with Hughes would be a disaster, and Hughes-Hronek only struggled after both got pummeled into pulp in the first series. Both probably learnt their lesson about protectiung yourself in POs; Hughes tried way to hard in first round and basically was not the same after. 

IF PA doesn't make a trade prior to first Game, you're lineup will be:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Des/Juulsen

Then, after the trade later on...

Hughes-Hronek

Trade-Myers

Soucy-Des/Juulsen

I think Forbort or another cheap Dman will go back in the trade. It'll probably be a cap dump/compliance move for someone else.

The whole "Hronek driving his own line" was part of the contract negotiation and something they probably want to see in the future. Right now, you need his ability to gobble up minutes on first pair.

Respectfully.  How da fook do you know they will be a disaster? 🙂
Nobody knows and it's worth a shot.  Look at Schenn, he was in the AHL with Anaheim before he played with Hughes and did excellent.

It's a far better plan than to just assume nobody but Hronek can play with Hughes and run then 25 minutes every night until one or both gets injured and only have a one-dimension D for the playoffs again.

Even if Hughes doesn't get 100 points and only gets 80 points but that frees up Hronek to be a threat so we have 40 minutes of them instead of 25 minutes every night and less risk of injury.  If it doesn't seem like it's working out early on then sure they go back to the Double H line if they have to and start shopping in earnest if they aren't already.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Desharnais with Hughes would be a disaster, and Hughes-Hronek only struggled after both got pummeled into pulp in the first series. Both probably learnt their lesson about protectiung yourself in POs; Hughes tried way to hard in first round and basically was not the same after. 

IF PA doesn't make a trade prior to first Game, you're lineup will be:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Des/Juulsen

Then, after the trade later on...

Hughes-Hronek

Trade-Myers

Soucy-Des/Juulsen

I think Forbort or another cheap Dman will go back in the trade. It'll probably be a cap dump/compliance move for someone else.

The whole "Hronek driving his own line" was part of the contract negotiation and something they probably want to see in the future. Right now, you need his ability to gobble up minutes on first pair.

Yea taking a bottom pairing dman from Edmonton and putting him with Hughes!

That's a bit much. Desharnais at 20+ minutes YIKES

• Cheers 1

I d like to see Suter traded, his 1.5 goes to Barrie. 

oh.. and maybe it’s the first time you ear that but….

STOP TRADING GARLAND !!!! 

Edited by DexM94
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

No to a soon to be 33 year old defenceman who can't defend.

• Like 2

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

No to a soon to be 33 year old defenceman who can't defend.

To be honest i’m not really for grabbing Barrie. 
In reality my ideal last trade of the summers would be Suter + Poolman. 
Suter because I was sick and tired seeing him in the top 6, and we have a logjam in bottom 6, last year of a contract and not hard to move. 
Poolman to maximize our TDL capacity, now still handcuffed by his dead cap in IR. 

On 7/23/2024 at 11:11 AM, BigBird79 said:

Respectfully.  How da fook do you know they will be a disaster? 🙂
Nobody knows and it's worth a shot.  Look at Schenn, he was in the AHL with Anaheim before he played with Hughes and did excellent.

It's a far better plan than to just assume nobody but Hronek can play with Hughes and run then 25 minutes every night until one or both gets injured and only have a one-dimension D for the playoffs again.

Even if Hughes doesn't get 100 points and only gets 80 points but that frees up Hronek to be a threat so we have 40 minutes of them instead of 25 minutes every night and less risk of injury.  If it doesn't seem like it's working out early on then sure they go back to the Double H line if they have to and start shopping in earnest if they aren't already.

Schenn couldn't handle the minute either, other than for shorter stints. When you over play a players ability, they tire out; look no further than Myers, OEL, and Cole. All 3 are good dmen, but asking them to absorb top pair minutes was their demise. Unfortunately, Hronek is the only guy that can even potentially handle those minutes...and even he flamed out a bit last year.

21 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Barrie isn’t good anymore if he’s signing it’s for league minimum which we have without trading anybody. Barrie should just be this years Matt Irwin. Guy who has played in the NHL but signed specifically for the AHL to compete with those guys for a call up. Unless there’s something bigger that requires cap space I’d hold onto Garland because he’s the guy that’s creating all the offence for the 3rd line.

Barrie doesn't fit the RT mold; him and sound D are not tangible.

10 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Potentially yes to a Suter trade IF the extra 500k makes an opportunity for a top 4 LHD....but Barrie is not a top4 D nor is he a fit here.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Trading one of our best defensive forwards that can play any forward position on any line and provide secondary scoring for an old defenseman that can't play defense? What could go wrong!

Suter is seriously underrated here. Guy is a Swiss Army Knife of a player and a coaches dream. 

secondary scoring ? 
the guy is 67 14-15-29 while plaing on the FIRST LINE, and in playoffs : 13 2-1-3 !!!  he missed a incredible amount of chances. 
at least he s cheap, but we can do better. last year of his contract, time to trade him as a sweetener for Poolman. 
never been a fan of this signing. 

52 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Schenn couldn't handle the minute either, other than for shorter stints. When you over play a players ability, they tire out; look no further than Myers, OEL, and Cole. All 3 are good dmen, but asking them to absorb top pair minutes was their demise. Unfortunately, Hronek is the only guy that can even potentially handle those minutes...and even he flamed out a bit last year.

That's the point.  Hronek can handle the minutes and in a perfect world they stay together and neither gets injured.
But that's the entire problem and why they shouldn't be together.  Hronek didn't just flame out a lil bit he had an elbow injury that neutered a very important shot.

Hughes got the (*&!@ beat out of him in the playoffs.  If we run them together all year there's a high chance one or both is injured or teams notice what happened in the playoffs and lean on Hughes all year long and we're in the same boat with a 1-dimensional offensive threat from the backend that's not even a threat since one likely is injured come playoff time.

Having the only 2 capable offensive D-men on the 1st line is not a recipe for long term success.  If not trying Desharnais then what?

57 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

secondary scoring ? 
the guy is 67 14-15-29 while plaing on the FIRST LINE, and in playoffs : 13 2-1-3 !!!  he missed a incredible amount of chances. 
at least he s cheap, but we can do better. last year of his contract, time to trade him as a sweetener for Poolman. 
never been a fan of this signing. 

And yet, Brock had a record year and Miller close to his max points total with Suter on their wing... something seems to work... especially at $1.6M only...

Edited by spook007
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1