Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

Shekky

1 hour ago, BigBird79 said:

That's the point.  Hronek can handle the minutes and in a perfect world they stay together and neither gets injured.
But that's the entire problem and why they shouldn't be together.  Hronek didn't just flame out a lil bit he had an elbow injury that neutered a very important shot.

Hughes got the (*&!@ beat out of him in the playoffs.  If we run them together all year there's a high chance one or both is injured or teams notice what happened in the playoffs and lean on Hughes all year long and we're in the same boat with a 1-dimensional offensive threat from the backend that's not even a threat since one likely is injured come playoff time.

Having the only 2 capable offensive D-men on the 1st line is not a recipe for long term success.  If not trying Desharnais then what?

you need to trade for someone then. I don't hate Des...but you have to remember; he got benched in favor of a prospect that had not proven anything in the Stanley cup finals! If he could play 2nd pair consistently it would be a success....1st pair would need divine intervention. My hope for him is that he can play a big heavy defensive sopund roll on the 3rd pair...and contribute on 2nd if injuries dictate.

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Your only issue with him seems to be that he doesn't put up top line numbers. However, it is worth mentioning that both Miller and Boeser had their best seasons with Suter as one of their main wingmen.

Your post also suggests that he played solely on the Miller line, which as we all know isn't the case. He played everywhere we needed him to and played relatively well wherever he was put. Not a lot of players are that versatile. 

And that's to say nothing of his defensive prowess, good Corsi percentage, and being one of the better centers on the team. You're not going to find many better players making 1.6 mill a year.

He's among the most reliable players on the team, and having a player that Tocchet can feel safe putting anywhere in the lineup allows him more freedom to adjust the rest of the lineup how he sees fit. 

Not every player needs to be a star. 

Its not about statistics only, it’s about how Suter was involved in the gameplays leading to the majority of goals : not that much.
i’m totally agree that a line needs a playmaker, a finisher and a complementary third member. 
that’s why I really really want to see Podkolzin as a complementary player on one of the two first lines. Not Suter. 

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

And yet, Brock had a record year and Miller close to his max points total with Suter on their wing... something seems to work... especially at $1.6M only...

No that just means Miller and Boeser clicked very well together. 
we can do way better than Suter. He was just on the line of 2 monsters while not contributing that much.

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Your only issue with him seems to be that he doesn't put up top line numbers. However, it is worth mentioning that both Miller and Boeser had their best seasons with Suter as one of their main wingmen.

Your post also suggests that he played solely on the Miller line, which as we all know isn't the case. He played everywhere we needed him to and played relatively well wherever he was put. Not a lot of players are that versatile. 

And that's to say nothing of his defensive prowess, good Corsi percentage, and being one of the better centers on the team. You're not going to find many better players making 1.6 mill a year.

He's among the most reliable players on the team, and having a player that Tocchet can feel safe putting anywhere in the lineup allows him more freedom to adjust the rest of the lineup how he sees fit. 

Not every player needs to be a star. 

Some people only view counting stats when defining quality. 
They just don’t get a sound positional player that disrupts plays on D and supports the stars on offence. 
Having a versatile, responsible middle six player that can play all positions is very valuable and gives us a tonne of flexibility. 
People forget it was Joshua-Suter-Garland that really started to gel before Suter got hurt.  
Very valuable player for what he is getting paid but not a huge scorer or hitter so people assume he isn’t doing much since he isn’t a stat stuffer. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

That's the point.  Hronek can handle the minutes and in a perfect world they stay together and neither gets injured.
But that's the entire problem and why they shouldn't be together.  Hronek didn't just flame out a lil bit he had an elbow injury that neutered a very important shot.

Hughes got the (*&!@ beat out of him in the playoffs.  If we run them together all year there's a high chance one or both is injured or teams notice what happened in the playoffs and lean on Hughes all year long and we're in the same boat with a 1-dimensional offensive threat from the backend that's not even a threat since one likely is injured come playoff time.

Having the only 2 capable offensive D-men on the 1st line is not a recipe for long term success.  If not trying Desharnais then what?

As much as Hughes and Hronek want + 25 minutes of TOI it just doesn't play well physically when it comes to playoffs. To much wear and tear IMHO. From a team development perspective I would like to see Hronek at 2RD experimented with. That means PA has to find another top 4 RD. My suspicion is that is their top priority right now. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As much as Hughes and Hronek want + 25 minutes of TOI it just doesn't play well physically when it comes to playoffs. To much wear and tear IMHO. From a team development perspective I would like to see Hronek at 2RD experimented with. That means PA has to find another top 4 RD. My suspicion is that is their top priority right now. 

I agree that the team needs and is looking for another top 4 puck mover. I like Soucy and Myers but at the moment not as the second pairing. While this FA is still out there, he’s a LD but would probably come cheap on a “show me” deal. Oliver Kylington has had a rough few seasons mentally, but definitely one of the better available D free agents left. As it stands now we need another guy who can give better first pass/zone exits. I’m sure PA/JR are working on it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Exactly it's the same as Demko.  Could he play 60 games? If you ask him he'll say 100%
Really? High chance for injury

Coach needs to tell the players to STFU and give them less ice time to manage their own health. They need to be split up for the better of the team.
Desh may or may not work out but we do need to give it a shot or some other combination that splits up the big boys.
If that doesn't work by all means for the start of the year play Huggy and Hronek but get a trade going ASAP.

33 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I agree that the team needs and is looking for another top 4 puck mover. I like Soucy and Myers but at the moment not as the second pairing. While this FA is still out there, he’s a LD but would probably come cheap on a “show me” deal. Oliver Kylington has had a rough few seasons mentally, but definitely one of the better available D free agents left. As it stands now we need another guy who can give better first pass/zone exits. I’m sure PA/JR are working on it.

This is our best, cheapest, lowest risk option.  I'm all over trading off one of our lesser need players to make a bit of space to sign him.

Same idea as Sprong.  Low risk no cost to acquire but does have decent upside.

Failing Kylington we need we need RHD for Huggy.
Honker can use Soucy but other than the admittedly long shot Desharnais the options for Huggy are not much else.
Though I would love to see Juulsen take a step up over the summer and in camp...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DexM94 said:

No that just means Miller and Boeser clicked very well together. 
we can do way better than Suter. He was just on the line of 2 monsters while not contributing that much.

Disagree on that... He could have done a lot better scoring wise, but he did well both defensively and fitted well on the fore check. 
Its limited what we can expect to get from a low cost player, so I think its unfair to point him out. That line waa the least of our concerns last season. 
if you want a proper top line player, that isn't a defensive black hole, you'll have to open the wallet... big time... and I don't know, where you'll find that kind of money. Kuzmenko would be a good comparable... scored for fun, but was bo existing defensively. 
Or at least thats how I see it 

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Some people only view counting stats when defining quality. 
They just don’t get a sound positional player that disrupts plays on D and supports the stars on offence. 
Having a versatile, responsible middle six player that can play all positions is very valuable and gives us a tonne of flexibility. 
People forget it was Joshua-Suter-Garland that really started to gel before Suter got hurt.  
Very valuable player for what he is getting paid but not a huge scorer or hitter so people assume he isn’t doing much since he isn’t a stat stuffer. 

and that 's not my case. 
i saw the play die in his hands countless time. 

i do think he will shine in a bottom 6 role where he belongs, and each times i see him in the top 6 i know where not ready for the cup. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yet what management targeted in the off-season was players like him that provided flexibility, specifically identifying him as the type of player the wanted more of.

Suter was signed to be a bottom six forward and looks next year like will be a bottom six forward but has the flexibility to move up and that is a good thing.

Smart player that can play anywhere in the lineup.  If he had finish we wouldn't have been able to afford him.  

With the better depth we have at wing now he will likely be centering 3rd or 4th lines.

absolutly.
now i want Heinen to play 3C (he was not singed for that), Blueger at 4C, pushing out Suter, which would allow us to trade him (he can be really attractive) and free up his 1.6M. in a perfect world with Poolman. 
imagine, 4.1M for a 2nd pairing D man or a huge boost at the TDL... 

Edited by DexM94

Speaking of trades just got an alert on the phone there's rumblings around Victor Soderstrom?
RFA and needs a fresh start.  RHD with some upside?  Draft profile sounds good as a puck mover...

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

Speaking of trades just got an alert on the phone there's rumblings around Victor Soderstrom?
RFA and needs a fresh start.  RHD with some upside?  Draft profile sounds good as a puck mover...

I was also thinking about this 

8 hours ago, DexM94 said:

absolutly.
now i want Heinen to play 3C (he was not singed for that), Blueger at 4C, pushing out Suter, which would allow us to trade him (he can be really attractive) and free up his 1.6M. in a perfect world with Poolman. 
imagine, 4.1M for a 2nd pairing D man or a huge boost at the TDL... 

Heinen does not play centre ! 
people need to stop trying to bring this into existence 

Edited by CaptainQuin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

If the rumours are true, then I hope they can get him for cheap. 

23 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

Exactly it's the same as Demko.  Could he play 60 games? If you ask him he'll say 100%
Really? High chance for injury

Coach needs to tell the players to STFU and give them less ice time to manage their own health. They need to be split up for the better of the team.
Desh may or may not work out but we do need to give it a shot or some other combination that splits up the big boys.
If that doesn't work by all means for the start of the year play Huggy and Hronek but get a trade going ASAP.

This is our best, cheapest, lowest risk option.  I'm all over trading off one of our lesser need players to make a bit of space to sign him.

Same idea as Sprong.  Low risk no cost to acquire but does have decent upside.

Failing Kylington we need we need RHD for Huggy.
Honker can use Soucy but other than the admittedly long shot Desharnais the options for Huggy are not much else.
Though I would love to see Juulsen take a step up over the summer and in camp...

If nothing materializes at RD I would put Juulson in at 1RD for even strength tryout. Not ideal but he does throw a decent pass and is good in the d-zone. He might hold the spot while PA sifts the post pre-season waters. If PA can move Poolman's contract then a bigger deal would likely be in the works. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If nothing materializes at RD I would put Juulson in at 1RD for even strength tryout. Not ideal but he does throw a decent pass and is good in the d-zone. He might hold the spot while PA sifts the post pre-season waters. If PA can move Poolman's contract then a bigger deal would likely be in the works. 

Juulsen made great strides last year. The biggest thing he needs to change is to stop chasing hit, just take them when they come. He's taken himself out of position a few times with it and has lead to opposition goals.

Needs to just play his game and let the flow dictate his actions naturally, nothing forced.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If the rumours are true, then I hope they can get him for cheap. 

He is waiver eligible now. They either play him or lose him on waivers. If they get more than a 3rd I would be surprised.

On 7/26/2024 at 11:54 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Juulsen made great strides last year. The biggest thing he needs to change is to stop chasing hit, just take them when they come. He's taken himself out of position a few times with it and has lead to opposition goals.

Needs to just play his game and let the flow dictate his actions naturally, nothing forced.

I agree completely. I have every confidence that he’ll get there. We have a great coaching staff. I’m excited to see them work their magic with Descharnais too. 

• Like 1