Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

31 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I think this is the type of trade that could make sense…a bottom 6 PK player for a skilled middle 6 winger.

Sissons would give us the RHC we’re missing, and upgrade our 3C with a solid, local vet. If they don’t want to trade Sissons, I’d target Trenin (heavy winger and strong PKer…26 pending UFA at $1.75M).

While I would rather it is someone like Garland of Beauvillier, I’d honestly be happy with either for a player like Sissons.

He fills a lot of what we need. He can PK, he hits, he’s a solid body, not injury prone, and a RHC with a career 53.8% win rate.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Blueger, Suter, Cole, and Soucy were all signed this offseason for a grand total of 9.75M cap hit. Should they all help the team and be better than league minimum guys? Yes. However, without first making the space to be able to bring them in it just adds to our cap problems. 

This has been my frustration with this team, I'm okay with the moves they made but this whole add cap now fix cap later has NEVER worked out for us >_< how did Noone know Pearson was gonna be ready to start the season? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

This has been my frustration with this team, I'm okay with the moves they made but this whole add cap now fix cap later has NEVER worked out for us >_< how did Noone know Pearson was gonna be ready to start the season? 

To be fair, it's the same organization that assessed a routine hand injury and somehow turned it into a season-ending/career-threatening one.

They haven't exactly had a good grasp of this situation from the beginning.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's skating and at camp. 

And also officially activated from LTIR (there's another thread on it) so pretty clearly he's going to play, at least to start the season. I hope his hand holds up and that he's effective. We can use a solid player like him.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Didn’t they just offload Lyubushkin?  Thought they were set at D

They don't need Myers. They brought in Erik Johnson as a vet RD. They also have Jokiharju and Clifton. Guys like Dahlin and Power can play both sides. Sabres have a younger D, last season I was arguing they could use some veteran presence, they went out and got that.  

I demonstrated two different ways we could get under the cap. I am not advocating for either option. There are other options as well.

I was making the point that we don't need to just give a winger away plus another asset. Some people push that narrative still. We should be able to get decent value in a hockey trade.

Same with Myers. The narrative is that only teams with a lot of space can make the trade. A hockey trade for some space and another player is possible as is including a 3rd party team. Once again, not advocating for that, just demonstrating the possibility.

As for Pearson, I was not waiving him for the sake of it in that scenario. If we waive Hoggy instead, he's gone. If Pearson's can't handle the rigours of the game, then we could potentially lose both Hoggy and Pearson. If we waive Pearson then he probably clears because of salary and doubt about his hand.

To me the retro-active LTIR for Mik makes the most sense. EDIT: as things stand right now.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Always the best strategy… overspend the cap and then try to clear some when you are over a barrel and other teams have leverage on you.

That’s two offseasons in a row…

If we spend another 2nd to dump cap that’s a really bad look.

I get they wanna improve the roster every offseason but you can’t keep backing yourself into a corner.

• Tank 1

Putting Mikheyev on LTIR means we can easily ice a 23-man roster without any cap concerns. No need to trade anyone (especially DO NOT add futures to trade for cap compliance).

When Mik is ready to return, then we need to make some moves. We will need to either trade 1 player or waive 2 players to make room for Mikheyev's return.

Depending on injuries and who is playing well, that might be waiving for example Pearson and Wolanin. No big deal. No sweeteners needed. Knowing VAN, there will be some other players on LTIR by then anyway.

Example of cap compliant opening night roster with Mik on LTIR:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Beavillier

Garland Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Podkolzin

Pearson Blueger Joshua

(Di Giuseppe)

Hughes Cole

Soucy Hronek

Irwin Myers

(Wolanin Woo)

Demko (Martin or Silovs)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Montreal does that why?

My theory is French guy ,French market ,versatile winger who technically can play centre if needed .on a contract year,this could elevate his game a little more.if things don’t pan out the Habs have a choice to sign probably at a reasonable price or maybe let him go as what he does bring can be replaced. If i remember correctly they have a slew of third rounders next couple of years.I know they have a lot of wingers but i think he might be a step above what they currently have.

2 hours ago, Sargon said:

Beauv to Montreal for one of their many third round picks?future considerations?

Yeah I could see this being a move that could get done. 

I know a lot of people want/think it'll be Meyers, but I'm not so sure. I have a feeling they would rather move a winger over a RD (even if he hasn't been the best RD for Van). 

Garland would be a good one to clear off the books, but Beau might be the easiest to move. Especially if Van is willing to retain a bit to get it done. 

2 minutes ago, Sargon said:

My theory is French guy ,French market ,versatile winger who technically can play centre if needed .on a contract year,this could elevate his game a little more.if things don’t pan out the Habs have a choice to sign probably at a reasonable price or maybe let him go as what he does bring can be replaced. If i remember correctly they have a slew of third rounders next couple of years.I know they have a lot of wingers but i think he might be a step above what they currently have.

Montreal already has too many wingers and enough local guys to satisfy the hardliner francophones.  Hughes is on record as saying he's trying  to be cap compliant in the offseason without using LTIR in order to maximize the in season use of LTIR. Beaulivier doesn't really fill any need for them and creates more problems. 

Seems like a glut of wingers every where,how tight against the cap are they?I know they have wingers out the Yang Yang but I think the flexibility of his one year remaining could help other teams roll the dice.like I said what he brings can be replaced but he’s not bad just not what we need.if he made less it would be helpful.