Canucks "aggressively" trying to make a trade right now: report

18 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

@qwijjibo thoughts on the trade?

I know Montreal was actively shopping Desmith as soon as they acquired him.   I'm not sure why they acquired a winger when they already have too many.  That said several of their options are waiver exempt.  This complicates their goal of being cap compliant without using off season LTIR but it's still doable 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What move is next?

They did specify moves, plural.  

Given how we were linked to Comtois, I could see them working on something else around a bottom six forward for the PK.

PA also told Bear that he needed to free up some cap space to re-sign him, so I expect that’s still in the plans.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

They did specify moves, plural.  

Given how we were linked to Comtois, I could see them working on something else around a bottom six forward for the PK.

PA also told Bear that he needed to free up some cap space to re-sign him, so I expect that’s still in the plans.

Any thoughts on who that forward might be?

And where did you see the Bear stuff? I’d be interested to see what happens there. I like Bear

• Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

And where did you see the Bear stuff? I’d be interested to see what happens there. I like Bear

Bear was quoted about that in this Province article:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-ethan-bear-says-his-shoulder-is-doing-really-well

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

As for the forward, I haven’t read anything about a specific player, but could see a trade involving one of our middle six skilled wingers for a solid PK /checking player on a lower cap hit. We could then use the difference in cap to re-sign Bear when he’s ready to play in December.

On CDC I proposed Beauvillier, Karlsson and a 2023 4th (NJD) to Nashville for Yakov Trenin (and the accompanying $2.4M in cap space).

Trenin is 26 and on an expiring $1.7M contract. He’d give us some size, hits and PK ability to compliment our new centers.

Nashville is one of the few teams with cap, out of our division, that needs offence (6th in the league last year before trading away RJ & Duchene).  Beauvillier is young enough to be resigned, or traded for a pick at the TDL to support their rebuild. The extra pick and prospect account for the cost of cap space, but still not sure Trotz would bite…

They want to maintain their ‘Smashville’ identity, and have already lost a lot of physicality in the Jeannot trade. For offence, they could also just sign Kessel for free.

That said, they did sign Schenn for hits, and don’t have a single forward who scored 20g in the NHL last year…

That’s the best I’ve got, lol.

• Cheers 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, Huggy Bear said:

As for the forward, I haven’t read anything about a specific player, but could see a trade involving one of our middle six skilled wingers for a solid PK /checking player on a lower cap hit. We could then use the difference in cap to re-sign Bear when he’s ready to play in December.

On CDC I proposed Beauvillier, Karlsson and a 2023 4th (NJD) to Nashville for Yakov Trenin (and the accompanying $2.4M in cap space).

Trenin is 26 and on an expiring $1.7M contract. He’d give us some size, hits and PK ability to compliment our new centers.

Nashville is one of the few teams with cap, out of our division, that needs offence (6th in the league last year before trading away RJ & Duchene).  Beauvillier is young enough to be resigned, or traded for a pick at the TDL to support their rebuild. The extra pick and prospect account for the cost of cap space, but still not sure Trotz would bite…

They want to maintain their ‘Smashville’ identity, and have already lost a lot of physicality in the Jeannot trade. For offence, they could also just sign Kessel for free.

That said, they did sign Schenn for hits, and don’t have a single forward who scored 20g in the NHL last year…

That’s the best I’ve got, lol.

I definitely think it makes sense. It would balance our lineup a lot more. I would like our bottom 6 more with Trenins grit. Guy is on the first PK unit and he's a gamer. 

Bottom 6 of 

Podz - Suter - Garland 

Joshua - Blueger - Trenin 

Has major upside. That 4th line would a pain in the ass to play against. 

• Cheers 2

On 9/18/2023 at 11:04 PM, RolexSub said:

If we can move Myers and Poolman both D's totalling $8.5M salary for one solid D I would be happy!! 

Would you be happy if it was Seth Jones?   Sure hope they aren't in the midst of making another OEL mistake lol.   Seth Jones, 2 retained might be ok.   Might not be too.   Guessing that trade was Pearson.    Canucks don't have to do anything else at this point.   It's going to take time to fix this team.