(Discussion) Filip Hronek

7 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

You would give up Dak to keep Hronek over some other random D that would look like a million bucks playing with petey? Even Bear looked good with Petey last year.

Who is Dak?

Also, there’s one thing that needs to be clarified:

There’s a big difference between having a legit elite top pairing in the league (Hughes and Hronek) and having Hughes carry a #4 calibre defenseman.  Can Hughes carry a #4 calibre guy? Absolutely.  Would said pairing be elite?  Nope.  

2 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

yeah.... Luke would be a dream. Maybe we could get Luke for Hronek and PDG? Yeah Luke will get a good contract but thats a few years anyway.

My point is I think we have some younger D that would be great if they had Hughes, with Hughes minutes. Juuls would be even better if he had more ice time.

Pretty sure Lukes eligible for contract extension in July. he played 8 games last year and full season this year. Final year of his contract.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Juulsen is a good option, but I think there are two issues:

1. The top defensemen in Abby are not likely as good as our top forwards. I have more faith in Bains, Podkolzin, and Dries to play in Vancouver than I do Woo, Wolanin, and McWard.

2. I believe we lack a strong #3 quality guy. Cole, Myers, Soucy, and Zadorov are overall a great bottom four, but none of them are #3 guys in my mind. We have a fantastic bottom pairing with guys who are above 5/6 level, but all four guys are at a 4/5 level to me, showing a lack of a good #3 guy. Hronek is a great #2 and if we lose him, we have to rely even more heavily on Hughes as the only high end D.

I still dont understand the BIAS and uber focus on Myers being "overrated".  He is a top 4. He plays the minutes. He makes a mistake or causes a goal.... every one remembers, calls it out.

I saw Hughes make mistakes. Even the Kessel goal last year, where he stole it from Bear, Hughes was on the ice.... And against chicago, he got caught and went to the guy with the puck (already covered by his partner) instead of going to the open guy on opposite side.

Yea. The chance of Hronek walking cuz' nuthin' gets done to his satisfaction is a real possible scenario. It would suck to lose him for sure. RD's like him don't grow on trees. At the same time being paired with Huggy certainly boosts his appeal on the trade market. Huggy has that affect on whoever he's paired with.

if we lose him, then we have more cap to make another RD acquisition. No on RR though. We can do better.

At the other end, we try to sign Hronek  shorter term and hope Willander is ready to take on the RD mantle before Hronek's contract runs out. I mean, when the likes of Leks, Willander, and D-Petey are playing with the big club, in addition to our core 4 or 5, our roster's gonna look drastically different.

I'd like to keep Hronek though.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I still dont understand the BIAS and uber focus on Myers being "overrated".  He is a top 4. He plays the minutes. He makes a mistake or causes a goal.... every one remembers, calls it out.

I saw Hughes make mistakes. Even the Kessel goal last year, where he stole it from Bear, Hughes was on the ice.... And against chicago, he got caught and went to the guy with the puck (already covered by his partner) instead of going to the open guy on opposite side.

Yeah, I don't mind the idea of Myers as a top 4, but he's much more a "4" than a "3". I would also contend that just because a guy plays the minutes, doesn't mean he fits the role. Edler played our #1 role for years, but outside of his prime, he was more of a #2 than a #1. This would be ascertained by considering all defensemen around the league and considering how they rank. I suppose therein lies the challenge--how do we evaluate players? Different methodologies and priorities will lead to different rankings.

• Like 1

I would do everything possible to keep Hronek.  His play has been nothing short of stellar for us.  Canucks fans have been crying out for the proverbial RHD for such a long time and now that we have a really good one we need to trade him?  I don't think so.  We finally have a good D-corps and now we want to go back to being mediocre?  Why?  I like being a winning team so it makes sense to keep the players that make us a winner, and that includes Hronek.  GCG!

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I would do everything possible to keep Hronek.  His play has been nothing short of stellar for us.  Canucks fans have been crying out for the proverbial RHD for such a long time and now that we have a really good one we need to trade him?  I don't think so.  We finally have a good D-corps and now we want to go back to being mediocre?  Why?  I like being a winning team so it makes sense to keep the players that make us a winner, and that includes Hronek.  GCG!

Well, for this year I agree. But can we afford him next year? we have 9 UFA and 2 RFA to sign or trade, and looking at the value of some of them (for example, Myers would likely take a big haircut to stay) there is value to most of these guys, but we cant keep them all.

UGGH.

Maybe we sign Hronek and let Petey go on an offer sheet.

6 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Well, for this year I agree. But can we afford him next year? we have 9 UFA and 2 RFA to sign or trade, and looking at the value of some of them (for example, Myers would likely take a big haircut to stay) there is value to most of these guys, but we cant keep them all.

UGGH.

Maybe we sign Hronek and let Petey go on an offer sheet.

If it's Petey or Hronek, I say keep Petey but I don't see why we can't keep both.  Let's hope Petey is reasonable and does a team-friendly deal (he's worth a lot but if we pay everyone the max it will be hard to stay competitive).  Yeah, there are a lot of guys to sign so that's why I leave that up to the pros.  It's way more complicated than my pay grade.  We should be able to keep our core group of players together though.  Hronek is such a good partner for Hughes that I don't want to mess with that.  They could be super-productive for years to come.  Let's hope Myers takes that haircut so that we can keep the train a rolling.  GCG!

20 hours ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Are you not seeing a pattern though?

Bear plays with Hughes one season, then is worth double his contract.

Hronek plays with Hughes one season, now a RFA and worth double his contract.

Instead of training guys and pumping up thier stats on UFA and RFA......

We need to trade Hronek at his max value NOW for someone underperforming and underCoached with a long Term cheap contract..... Should be lots of choices come TDL with so many teams not making the cut.

Just looking at some stats...

Bear: 2122  58g - 14pts  20pims  +1 Hurricanes

Bear: 2123  61 g - 16pts  25pims +6 Canucks

*Bears stats are about the same for each year, which suggests his success with Quinn

was based on his defensive game, but he lacked any offence.  His performance was

passable or, as they say, 'better than nothing.'

Hron: 2022  60g - 38pts  34pims  +8 (on a terrible Detroit team).

Hron: 2023  54g - 41pts  32pims  +37 Canucks

* Hron was the top scoring dman on a low scoring, poor defensive Red Wings.

Playing alongside Quinn, his pts have improved, but not radically. As an offensively

minded 24/25yr old dman, one would expect his #s to increase (just as Hughes'

offence has picked up this season).

Let's face it folks, the Hughes/Hronek pairing drives the Vancouver Canucks and

are arguably the top d pairing in the league.  It would be a very sad day if the

managers let go of Hronek for a defensive dman like Tanev. He could never support

the kind offensive stats acquired by Hughes/Hronek this season at 107pts in 54games.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1