Just wondering here:

If we're forced into a non-signing/trade situation here, and if a team would refuse a roster player, how many/type of picks is Pety worth?

He's an insane talent.  Would you realistically take, lets say:

2025 1st, 2nd

2026 1st

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheBearded1 said:

Just wondering here:

If we're forced into a non-signing/trade situation here, and if a team would refuse a roster player, how many/type of picks is Pety worth?

He's an insane talent.  Would you realistically take, lets say:

2025 1st, 2nd

2026 1st

Add three young A+ prospects, or two and a good player.

Gotta be players given how we might be serious contenders for at least a deep run.

If you are talking picks, unless you've got a very high draft pick, you're looking at a large number of picks. Two 1st and a 2nd isn't likely enough in my mind, if both 1sts are in the 20-30 range. If the picks are like #7 and #9, then maybe you're in the right ball park.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, TopChed said:

Of course.  

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Gotta be players given how we might be serious contenders for at least a deep run.

If you are talking picks, unless you've got a very high draft pick, you're looking at a large number of picks. Two 1st and a 2nd isn't likely enough in my mind, if both 1sts are in the 20-30 range. If the picks are like #7 and #9, then maybe you're in the right ball park.

its the rules on an RFA. If another team puts an offersheet greater value than what we offer, they get Petey, regardless of if he wants to go.

the penalty to the other team is 4 first round picks.

Its not a barter thing or a trade, its just the facts.... we save the cap, lose petey, but get four first round picks.

Now, maybe we can turn those 4 first rounders into a Bedard/Celebrini deal, if we throw in some prospects to Chicago?

1 hour ago, Iron Fist said:

if he signs an offer  sheet over 10.5. we get 4 first rounders from the signing team

if he signs an offer sheet over 9 million and we dont match, we get 4 first rounders from the signing team.

the amount does not matter.

If we dont want to pay him over 8.8 we can let him go for 4 first rounders. and save the cap to keep everyone else, and even take someone on.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dont forget, we are talking about this summer after we win the cup.

So Petey might have way more value to other teams than we do. We need cap for the next 4 or 5 years.... we have Miller, Hughes on long contracts, need to keep Demko, Boeser. We have youth coming up... We have Hoglander who will get to Petey level production when he has the ice time eventually.

After we win the cup, how do we keep rolling?

We let ep go on anyones offer sheet, flip those 4 first rounders and Garlund/Bleuger (keep Joshua) to Chicago for Bedard/Celebrini.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm quite sure Petey gets a say in the matter. He has to choose to sign the offer sheet, so he has say in the matter.

The offer sheet compensation rules say that anything ~$10.7M or more gets 4 1st round picks. Anything less than that, we obviously match and it's no question. If they offer him 10.8M...match it because that's a good deal for him. Perhaps it becomes difficult if a team offers him $12.5M or $13M, but even then, if it's a good team, then we're looking at four picks 20-32, which isn't likely to be equal to Petey's value, so the question then is do you lose out on a little value to avoid what you think may be an overpayment?

I mean, yes, you are right, Petey would have to want the money more than staying here.....

but thats the whole point. If we sign him at 10 or more... can we afford to keep him? Is it just the start of a Toronto front loaded team?

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

if he signs an offer sheet over 9 million and we dont match, we get 4 first rounders from the signing team.

If we dont want to pay him over 8.8 we can let him go for 4 first rounders. and save the cap to keep everyone else, and even take someone on.

I think they changed it a couple years ago during the CBA negotiations when they increased all the numbers to reflect inflation. 9 million and we don't match, we get 2 firsts, a second and a third. gotta be over $10,503,720.00 to qualify for 4 firsts.  entry level contracts used to be worth 750km they're 885k now.

Edited by Iron Fist

23 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I mean, yes, you are right, Petey would have to want the money more than staying here.....

but thats the whole point. If we sign him at 10 or more... can we afford to keep him? Is it just the start of a Toronto front loaded team?

Petey at anything less than 11 is a steal no matter the terms IMO and worth it in my mind.

• Cheers 1

As far as I understand things, the first round picks have to be a teams own picks.

So a question could be, can a team that has traded one of their upcoming first round picks actually put in an offer sheet which requires the first round picks? This would potentially reduce the number of teams able to submit an offer sheet.

45 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-raising-salary-thresholds-for-2022-offer-sheet-compensation/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Allvin was a Moran he might think that’s fair. But fortunately Allvin isn’t a Moran. Only a Moran would let Petey go for that kind of return. Morans need to troll elsewhere. Moran. 

moron
/ˈmɔːrɒn/

noun

• 1.a stupid person:"we can't let these morons write if they can not spell!"
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, JIAHN said:
moron
/ˈmɔːrɒn/

noun

• 1.a stupid person:"we can't let these morons write if they can not spell!"

The spelling is  likely deliberately wrong - as to mimic a rather famous picture taken of some Political protestors holding a sign with that wording.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The spelling is  likely deliberately wrong - as to mimic a rather famous picture taken of some Political protestors holding a sign with that wording.

LOL, yes, I considered that.......but with Alf and his drinking......you never know! LOL

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm quite sure Petey gets a say in the matter. He has to choose to sign the offer sheet, so he has say in the matter.

The offer sheet compensation rules say that anything ~$10.7M or more gets 4 1st round picks. Anything less than that, we obviously match and it's no question. If they offer him 10.8M...match it because that's a good deal for him. Perhaps it becomes difficult if a team offers him $12.5M or $13M, but even then, if it's a good team, then we're looking at four picks 20-32, which isn't likely to be equal to Petey's value, so the question then is do you lose out on a little value to avoid what you think may be an overpayment?

I think you also have to layer in what we could use that cap space for and consider that part of the deal too.

We could afford Lindholm (as our new 2C), Tanev, and raises to Joshua and Blueger, if we wanted to keep them, just for the price of Petey's contract... plus we have the four 1st rounders.

We also don't have to use those first rounders, they are serious currency in other trades we might want to make.

It should never get to that though.  If Petterson hasn't signed an extension by the draft you probably have to try to move him.  Him waiting and then filing for a one year arbitration award that walks him to free agency is a non starter.  Not only do you then face the prospect of having no leverage in signing him to a long term deal, but you also lose your entire summer of not being able to make other moves because you don't know what the arbitration award will be until August.  By then Lindholm will be long gone, and every other useful player we might want to fill the holes that our expiring deals will create.  It would completely paralyze the team's ability to fashion a winning roster for next season.  A Petterson trade wouldn't be pure picks, it would have blue chip young prospects, picks, and roster players in a package.

There is a number where trading him or not matching an offer sheet just makes more sense.  I would say above $12 million is right in that territory that either signing or moving on from him is pretty even value.

• Like 1