[Speculation] Pre-TDL Thread - Petey to Re-Sign and Canucks Scouting Pittsburgh/Duhaime

What do we do next?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What's our Next Acquisition?

• Top 6 W to Mooch off Petey
    • Middle 6 Swiss-Army Knife
    • Bottom Six Grinder
    • #3/4 Defenseman
    • #6/7/8 Defenseman
    • Goaltending Depth
    • Other (Answer Below)
  2. 2. Who's more likely to be dealt in a TDL deal?

• Podkolzin (young asset, but no chemistry lost)
    • Mikheyev (underperforming potential cap casualty, but could disrupt chemistry)
  3. 3. Does Zadorov get re-signed?

• Yes (Short term, 6+ Million AAV)
    • Yes (Long term, 4-5 Million AAV)
    • No

9 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

But you saw the video. So you took the bait? Just fooling with you, Stawns. You're right that without more context it shouldn't be indicative of anything more than an out of breath guy gliding around the ice. But I think there's enough there to at least urge caution.

Kessel has never been a high energy players, he's a guy who knows how to get to the right spots.  People judging him on drills is a little silly

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Canucks are likely done for the TDL with a very minor depth move.. even if say they manage to move mikheyev or Myers.. it’s dumb to try another swing for the fence and trade more trade asset for another rental.. putting all the eggs in 1 basket rarely works.. especially for a team that have not made the playoff forever. Teams that make big move disrupting the teams chemistry rarely works. Teams that add depth at the TDL usually works much better 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I could see us going after Erik Johnson as a 6/7 right shot Dman. He’s won a cup with Colorado. 

Rutherford also mentioned potentially calling up Podkolzin for the playoffs. Even Bains could be an option. I like both of them better than PDG. 

Most likely Kessel makes the team. They are saying he could stay in Abby until the playoffs. Which is what I speculated. 

Makes sense, mgmt is comfortable with core of the team, they now appear to be trying to build depth through quantity of options. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Canucks are likely done for the TDL with a very minor depth move.. even if say they manage to move mikheyev or Myers.. it’s dumb to try another swing for the fence and trade more trade asset for another rental.. putting all the eggs in 1 basket rarely works.. especially for a team that have not made the playoff forever. Teams that make big move disrupting the teams chemistry rarely works. Teams that add depth at the TDL usually works much better 

I still think they’re trying to bring Tanev back.

A 2nd a prospect like Woo or Karlsson isn’t gonna kill you.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If there are 10+ teams inquiring about Tanev it'd likely take more than a 2nd and a middling to lower tier prospect 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s 2 less trade chip for next season if we go all in and fail tanev will likely cost more than that especially if flames have to retain 50% and like I said we wouldn’t be able to fit tanev without dumping cap out. Our defense is fine the way it is already when soucy is back Jules or Friedman is the 7th/8th if anything I’d be more worried about forward depth. If anyone is out in the forward we will be bringing in ppl with almost no experience to fill. 

15 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Lybushkin, Duclair, Trenin, carrier those are guys of interest for myself, curious what depth pieces everyone here is eyeballing that are pending UFA’s? Also curious if Columbus makes some bold moves this season or wait until the off season 

It isn't bold, but I could see them moving Provorov and Roslovick

Provorov moreso if they don't think they can retain him beyond next season

Lybushkin would be a savvy add

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

We're going to resign Zadorov, he's goo good of a fit here.

Mikheyev is hard to move, but I think they will try.

Kessel will be signed as long as he shows well practicing with Abbotsford, probably around 800k range, pro rated. I can't see him wanting much, the only reason for him to come back is one more shot at competing for the cup. It's not about money for him.

We will pickup more defensive depth at the deadline, I could see us grabbing Tanev, but only if Calgary is forced to drop their price. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an offer on the table from the Canucks for Tanev that is a, "Here's what we'll give you if you can't do better..." I think that's how the Zadorov deal happened and Calgary got tired of waiting and Canucks were the first to not only put up an offer, but to also put up the cap space.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

If there are 10+ teams inquiring about Tanev it'd likely take more than a 2nd and a middling to lower tier prospect 

That’s their asking price.

Clearly they’re not getting what they wanted or a deal would be done.

All things being equal I would think Conroy is the type of GM that would wanna do right by the player too.

Edited by DeNiro

With there being many rumors out there about what teams are interested in what players. Here's an interesting question.

Knowing the Oilers are looking to add, maybe a Guentzel type player, or a Dman. Do you think Allvin would be "in" on some of those trades purely to drive the price up for a competing team like Oilers or Jets?

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All things being equal I would think Conroy is the type of GM that would wanna do right by the player too.

I disagree, there's not a whole lot of pressure for the Flames to rush a trade when the deadline is still a little ways off. Granted, there's the risk Tanev gets hurt, but there's also a better likelihood of teams getting more desperate as the deadline approaches.

The Flames may not be all that keen on helping the Leafs after Treliving left, but I do believe they're more than willing to hose them for a 1st if they can get one. There's a solid chance they could too tbh, As of today the Leafs are 7th in the East with 62 points, they have Detroit (60), New Jersey (58), and New York (57) on their tail. The Leafs missing the playoffs would be considered disastrous. Philly's also been sliding but should be in the mix around the fringes, they're two points ahead of the Leafs. 

Dallas is supposedly amongst the teams interested in Tanev too. 

The Flames know they can get a 2nd+, it's not a matter of whether they can or not, more than likely they're holding out to see if they can get a 1st. 

I don't think it'll come down to being equal, Conroy has to get the best return he can for Tanev, period. Tanev has little control over his destination beyond his 10-team NTC. Flames are looking to retool more than rebuild, they have to hit a home run with this trade. 

Short of them trading Hanifin prior to Tanev it's likely the Flames will set the D market with a Tanev trade. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

At this point, something would have to go wrong for Kessel to not get signed by us.  We have a fully healthy forward core and we're still trying to sign him.  Maybe if he gets completely outskated in practice?

I think that is also part of the equation. By skating in Abby, not only are they able to evaluate Kessel's fitness and game play, but they are also able to evaluate him directly beside Podkolzin or Bains. Being able to make a direct comparison will really help them asses the call ups when the time inevitably comes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think that is also part of the equation. By skating in Abby, not only are they able to evaluate Kessel's fitness and game play, but they are also able to evaluate him directly beside Podkolzin or Bains. Being able to make a direct comparison will really help them asses the call ups when the time inevitably comes.

That’s a very good point

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The big thing with Tanev is he'd effectively bump another effective player out of the lineup. I'm just not sure that is all that smart, when we can sign him this summer IF we see him as a player we'd like to target. My guess would be the following lineup with Tanev:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Myers

Cole

Juulsen

Friedman

Does Tanev really move the needle more than Cole? Juulsen and Friedman have shown they are more that competent to be 6th Dmen.....and we still have Irwin, Wolanin, etc in AHL that have looked okay in their appearances. IF we lose 2 Top 4 Dmen in the POs, we are screwed anyways.

In the end, it is all about $$, and I would not be willing to pay the price for Tanev (It would be a 1st plus to get him with retention)

9 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The big thing with Tanev is he'd effectively bump another effective player out of the lineup. I'm just not sure that is all that smart, when we can sign him this summer IF we see him as a player we'd like to target. My guess would be the following lineup with Tanev:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Myers

Cole

Juulsen

Friedman

Does Tanev really move the needle more than Cole? Juulsen and Friedman have shown they are more that competent to be 6th Dmen.....and we still have Irwin, Wolanin, etc in AHL that have looked okay in their appearances. IF we lose 2 Top 4 Dmen in the POs, we are screwed anyways.

In the end, it is all about $$, and I would not be willing to pay the price for Tanev (It would be a 1st plus to get him with retention)

🦒

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We're going to resign Zadorov, he's goo good of a fit here.

Mikheyev is hard to move, but I think they will try.

Kessel will be signed as long as he shows well practicing with Abbotsford, probably around 800k range, pro rated. I can't see him wanting much, the only reason for him to come back is one more shot at competing for the cup. It's not about money for him.

We will pickup more defensive depth at the deadline, I could see us grabbing Tanev, but only if Calgary is forced to drop their price. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an offer on the table from the Canucks for Tanev that is a, "Here's what we'll give you if you can't do better..." I think that's how the Zadorov deal happened and Calgary got tired of waiting and Canucks were the first to not only put up an offer, but to also put up the cap space.

I agree completely with the Kessel and Tanev take. 

IMHAO I'd wait off on Tanev save the assets for next yr as I feel our D core with Soucy back and Juulsen as a #7 is solid as is.

I could see other teams hesitant to pay a 1st for an expiring UFA especially since (once again just my opinion) Tanev may very well come home to play with Hughes and a reasonable term and cap hit.

Sure be sweet if he came back next season and helped us win a championship whether we succeed this yr or not. Kinda be full circle for him and given his relationships with current players you never know...

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I feel like rutherford may have an idea of the right approach. call it a hunch. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The Flames may not be all that keen on helping the Leafs after Treliving left, but I do believe they're more than willing to hose them for a 1st if they can get one. There's a solid chance they could too tbh, As of today the Leafs are 7th in the East with 62 points, they have Detroit (60), New Jersey (58), and New York (57) on their tail. The Leafs missing the playoffs would be considered disastrous. Philly's also been sliding but should be in the mix around the fringes, they're two points ahead of the Leafs.

the flipside to this is that giving up a 1st for a rental to just hopefully make the playoffs is terrible business. the leafs aren't a chris tanev away from being cup contenders. 

treliving might still be willing if he's convinced he can lock him up on a new deal, but if he's not going to help you win this year, why give up the asset instead of signing him as a ufa if you think he'd like to come play at home?

15 minutes ago, tas said:

the flipside to this is that giving up a 1st for a rental to just hopefully make the playoffs is terrible business. the leafs aren't a chris tanev away from being cup contenders. 

treliving might still be willing if he's convinced he can lock him up on a new deal, but if he's not going to help you win this year, why give up the asset instead of signing him as a ufa if you think he'd like to come play at home?

Leafs have both the Matthews and Nylander deals kicking in next season, this postseason is their last chance to capitalize on their current deals. Tavares isn't getting any younger either. Regardless of where they sit in the standings, the Leafs view themselves as contenders, giving themselves a chance to show that their getting out of the first round wasn't a one and done plays into why they may pay up. 

There's also a solid chance the Leafs would be willing to extend him. Brodie's 5M comes off the books at the end of the season. Muzzin's LTIR'd 5.6M does as well. So does Klingberg's 4.1M. 

Some of the cap the Leafs have coming off the books will go to Matthews and Nylander, but they're going to have to pay someone to play defense in Toronto. Canuck connection or not, Tanev was born in Toronto and his being willing to sign on with his hometown team isn't out of the realm of possibility. 

I do believe the Leafs would prefer an extension regarding Tanev, I don't necessarily know if it's a make it or break it factor for them though. Missing the playoffs during the prime of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner would be considered a failure.