[Speculation] Pre-TDL Thread - Petey to Re-Sign and Canucks Scouting Pittsburgh/Duhaime

What do we do next?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What's our Next Acquisition?

• Top 6 W to Mooch off Petey
    • Middle 6 Swiss-Army Knife
    • Bottom Six Grinder
    • #3/4 Defenseman
    • #6/7/8 Defenseman
    • Goaltending Depth
    • Other (Answer Below)
  2. 2. Who's more likely to be dealt in a TDL deal?

• Podkolzin (young asset, but no chemistry lost)
    • Mikheyev (underperforming potential cap casualty, but could disrupt chemistry)
  3. 3. Does Zadorov get re-signed?

• Yes (Short term, 6+ Million AAV)
    • Yes (Long term, 4-5 Million AAV)
    • No

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's mostly playing W because they need someone to play W and he's the most versatile.  It doesn't really have much to do with his ability to play C

Dissagree he struggled at C and has looked much better on the W. If they see him as a C they would continue to develop him as one. It's managment's job to make the moves for wingers it's not like it's hard to go get AHL wingers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's not true, not necessarily.  Not every player can play other positions.  Raty is the one best able to adapt to W.

Like I said, if he is one of the best centres on Abby, they wouldn't move him to the wing.  It's like saying we'd move Miller or Lindholm to the wing just because Lafferty or Suter can play C.  The centre position is too valuable to just move one of your best centres off to the wing just because he can adapt to it better than one of your 3Cs or 4Cs.  Makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Dissagree he struggled at C and has looked much better on the W. If they see him as a C they would continue to develop him as one. It's managment's job to make the moves for wingers it's not like it's hard to go get AHL wingers. 

Exactly.  You don't move centres to the wing just because he's more adaptable.  That'd be a terrible way to develop a young centre.

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

.... um because he is not likely to become an NHL player, or at least one of any significance.  It is really easy to get third line forwards, so the value of a prospect who will probably become that "at best" is pretty minimal.

You can replace prospects of this level with college or European free agents.  You can also find guys for those roster spots in free agency for cheap.

He isn't worth nothing, but if you get something good in a trade that helps us now you do it.

Raty is still only 20. I'm okay with letting him stew another year or more. 

He's going to be a great two-way player. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

He's actually turning 22 later this year.

27 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Imagine if something totally out of left field happens and it becomes a package centered on Crosby + Guentzel for EP

That would definitely make us better this year, and pretty clear cup favourites. Would be absolutely wild.

But the reality is, EP40 is going to come up huge for us in these playoffs and he's going to be a Canuck for a long time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

People have suggested it's his skating (footspeed) that's holding him back. High hockey IQ, heavy shot and see's the ice well but has average/below average skating to be sucsessful at the NHL level. Center is a hard position to play with questionable skating IMO, perhaps that's why he's being deployed more as a winger this season. (just guessing)   

I'd love to see him put in a really good off season of traning to see if it can be adressed, before shipping him out in a trade though.  

• Cheers 1

Briere was saying the other day that he knows teams are interested in Seeler, but they are working aggressively to re-sign him given his age, skillset and position. He definitely seems open to letting Risto go lol. I think Walker is the most likely to go. From PIT I could see us poking around Smith or Raks on a buy-low with potential reward deal. Something like Miky, Aman and a 3rd, but I can easily see LVK circling back on Smith given their recent "cap space" and familiarity with him. 

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I hope not, to an Aatu trade, but my thoughts were maybe Marcus Pettersson: you know, collect the whole set? hehehe. Aside from the name coincidence: Marcus is plus23 this year so far, with 24 points in 55 games, he is in his literal PRIME at age 27 AND has a very decent contract till the summer of 2025 at just a tick over 4million.

M. Pettersson is the player I would want from last nights Pittsburgh/Philly matchup. He just keeps getting better. THis chart is from Dobber's profile on him. 

image.png.c558bac20f53eb3ae23b58a5ef5907e7.png

Further: if Pittsburgh is about to become Schittsburgh for four or five years of rebuild, MP28 would be 32 by the time they work towards contention again, so may not be in their future plans, again only if going into a full rebuild, but maybe? I know, wishful thinking. 

I think Vancouver plans on keeping Raty, Podkolzin among others to shore up the roster for next season. Excited to see both those players get an opportunity here. Marcus would be a solid add, I am sure PA can be creative enough to make it work without moving those guys in a deal. Same with if they plan on trying to add Walker out of Philly.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Imagine if something totally out of left field happens and it becomes a package centered on Crosby + Guentzel for EP

As much as I'd be excited for that, I don't see management rushing a Pettersson trade. Petey from day 1 has said he wants to wait til the offseason to start contract negotiations. So there's likely been little to no concrete talk on any numbers to this point. Trading him before really getting down and talking would look really bad. Petey if he gets traded isn't getting traded til the offseason.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I work off the year.  If his birthday is in 2002 and it's 2024, he's 22 this year.

Raty just turned 21yrs in November   He is the youngest player on the Abby team by =/- 2yrs.

Meanwhile, he is 3rd in points and is just warming up.  I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the

big club at some point next season.

I'm more concerned about Podz than Raty. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Vancouver plans on keeping Raty, Podkolzin among others to shore up the roster for next season. Excited to see both those players get an opportunity here. Marcus would be a solid add, I am sure PA can be creative enough to make it work without moving those guys in a deal. Same with if they plan on trying to add Walker out of Philly.

I just don't see Philly moving either of their second pairing D guys unless it is for an upgrade on them at D or a severe upgrade for them on the forward lines. 

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

IS HE 20 21 or  22 FFS?!!

Aatu is 21 until November 14th 2024, then he will be 22. He literally starts next season in October at age 21 still....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I just don't see Philly moving either of their second pairing D guys unless it is for an upgrade on them at D or a severe upgrade for them on the forward lines. 

Aatu is 21 until November 14th 2024, then he will be 22. He literally starts next season in October at age 21 still....

I just assumed if they decide not to try and extend him they may want to recoup assets on Walker. But they remain in the hunt to play in the Playoffs so not really ideal to sell off one would think.