[Speculation] Pre-TDL Thread - Petey to Re-Sign and Canucks Scouting Pittsburgh/Duhaime

What do we do next?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What's our Next Acquisition?

• Top 6 W to Mooch off Petey
    • Middle 6 Swiss-Army Knife
    • Bottom Six Grinder
    • #3/4 Defenseman
    • #6/7/8 Defenseman
    • Goaltending Depth
    • Other (Answer Below)
  2. 2. Who's more likely to be dealt in a TDL deal?

• Podkolzin (young asset, but no chemistry lost)
    • Mikheyev (underperforming potential cap casualty, but could disrupt chemistry)
  3. 3. Does Zadorov get re-signed?

• Yes (Short term, 6+ Million AAV)
    • Yes (Long term, 4-5 Million AAV)
    • No

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

That by itself could bite us for years. I want us to throw em Mik and get Guentzel as well. That would guarantee us the Cup at least for one year

Nothing guarantees a cup. Look at New York and Boston last year.

If we’re paying big for another player they have to have term or be able to be signed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nothing guarantees a cup. Look at New York and Boston last year.

If we’re paying big for another player they have to have term or be able to be signed.

Crosby has one more year I believe and there would be money left over in the bank to sign Guentzel too (if reasonable) 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s not 15.

You’re kidding me right? 

It comes to close to 13M and we have some extra space after the Kuzey deal. It’s very doable 

Also the Pens can retain a small amount if need be

Edited by Grandmaster

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

You’re kidding me right? 

It comes to close to 13M and we have some extra space after the Kuzey deal. It’s very doable 

Keep dreaming.

3 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

You’re kidding me right? 

Their combined cap hits are 12.1 million. Off of both of your numbers. 

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Dissagree he struggled at C and has looked much better on the W. If they see him as a C they would continue to develop him as one. It's managment's job to make the moves for wingers it's not like it's hard to go get AHL wingers. 

And I disagree there.  He was the most versatile C to move over.

Crosby himself said he's not interested in playing for another NHL franchise just over a week ago, quit dreaming. 

https://theathletic.com/5286060/2024/02/19/penguins-guentzel-crosby-future-trade-deadline/

Will the Penguins’ decision regarding Guentzel, either before or after the trade deadline, influence Crosby’s decision to recommit to Pittsburgh?

“No,” Crosby said. “Obviously, it’s a big decision for both sides. That’s something that’s out of my control. But I don’t think that affects how I view things.

“I’m not even thinking about extensions.”

One thing that hasn’t changed: Crosby only wants to play for the Penguins his entire career.

“Yeah,” he said. “I’ve said that forever. But right now I’m trying to focus on getting into the playoffs.”

• Cheers 1

9 days to TDL...there will be PRO level scouts at practically every game from every team. We will constantly be linked to PITTS because of the history but who knows? Maybe it's a PHILLY player they're looking at...they have cap space and extra picks. Maybe Laughton or Seeler?

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Rumour has it that the Canucks are very interested in (RW) Brandon Duhaime. He'd be a great add to the 4th line. 

What would it cost the Canucks? 

Lafferty - Suter/Aman - Duhaime

Duhaime plays for the wild not penguins and I have not seen Any legit sources suggesting Canucks are interested in him? I did delete twitter a week ago to escape the negativity tho you got a link ?

29 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Ah so now you got owned you call it a dream. Like I said. It’s very doable

Why does Sid waive his NMC to come to Van?

And Guentzel, would he waive his 12 team M-NTC (I suspect Van is on it)?

Both of which have played their entire NHL career in Pittsburg.  If they were to leave

the Pens, I think they would prefer an Eastern Conferance team closer to home.

One that might have a better chance of winning a cup.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Duhaime plays for the wild not penguins and I have not seen Any legit sources suggesting Canucks are interested in him? I did delete twitter a week ago to escape the negativity tho you got a link ?

Canucks Army, Seravalli commented on it. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-canucks-have-been-keeping-close-tabs-on-wild-forward-brandon-duhaime

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Picked "grinder forward" in the poll. I too saw the article where Frank Seravalli said the Canucks were "monitoring" Duhaime. (whatever that means)

I think the team has really missed DJ's physical presence and although I think PDG and Aman are decent enough players, neither bring the physicality that Duhaime would. As a pending UFA, he likely wouldn't be expensive asset wise....

Right now, Minny is not far back in the Wild Card, so Guerin likely won't be in a hurry to move him, but if the Wild slide down the standings in the next week or so, it might make sense for both teams.

• Cheers 1