[Speculation] Pre-TDL Thread - Petey to Re-Sign and Canucks Scouting Pittsburgh/Duhaime

What do we do next?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What's our Next Acquisition?

• Top 6 W to Mooch off Petey
    • Middle 6 Swiss-Army Knife
    • Bottom Six Grinder
    • #3/4 Defenseman
    • #6/7/8 Defenseman
    • Goaltending Depth
    • Other (Answer Below)
  2. 2. Who's more likely to be dealt in a TDL deal?

• Podkolzin (young asset, but no chemistry lost)
    • Mikheyev (underperforming potential cap casualty, but could disrupt chemistry)
  3. 3. Does Zadorov get re-signed?

• Yes (Short term, 6+ Million AAV)
    • Yes (Long term, 4-5 Million AAV)
    • No

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Why does Sid waive his NMC to come to Van?

And Guentzel, would he waive his 12 team M-NTC (I suspect Van is on it)?

Both of which have played their entire NHL career in Pittsburg.  If they were to leave

the Pens, I think they would prefer an Eastern Conferance team closer to home.

One that might have a better chance of winning a cup.

Guentzel probably lands in Vegas with Stone being out

They haven't made a move yet and you know they will 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Picked "grinder forward" in the poll. I too saw the article where Frank Seravalli said the Canucks were "monitoring" Duhaime. (whatever that means)

I think the team has really missed DJ's physical presence and although I think PDG and Aman are decent enough players, neither bring the physicality that Duhaime would. As a pending UFA, he likely wouldn't be expensive asset wise....

Right now, Minny is not far back in the Wild Card, so Guerin likely won't be in a hurry to move him, but if the Wild slide down the standings in the next week or so, it might make sense for both teams.

Allvin is going to blow you all away with a swing for the fences and do this...

To Pittsburgh:

Tyler Myers (No retention)

2025 1st, top 10 protected

Sawyer Mynio

2026 4th round pick

To Vancouver:

Erik Karlsson (4 million retained)

Taylor Fedun

2025 7th round pick

Pittsburgh will then turn around and trade Myers with 50% retained for a 3rd round pick in 2024 to Tampa Bay.

Okay,

#1, I think I'm probably a draft pick or prospect light on the Canucks side on this

#2, If you don't think something like this could happen, go look at JR's history on trade deadline. This is the type of trade he would totally engineer if he's going all in, which he signaled with the Lindholm trade. He believes with the right trades that the Canucks could take the cup this year and he will do anything necessary to make that happen.

It's what he has done his whole career...

Edited by VegasCanuck

42 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Allvin is going to blow you all away with a swing for the fences and do this...

To Pittsburgh:

Tyler Myers (No retention)

2025 1st, top 10 protected

Sawyer Mynio

2026 4th round pick

To Vancouver:

Erik Karlsson (4 million retained)

Taylor Fedun

2025 7th round pick

Pittsburgh will then turn around and trade Myers with 50% retained for a 3rd round pick in 2024 to Tampa Bay.

Okay,

#1, I think I'm probably a draft pick or prospect light on the Canucks side on this

#2, If you don't think something like this could happen, go look at JR's history on trade deadline. This is the type of trade he would totally engineer if he's going all in, which he signaled with the Lindholm trade. He believes with the right trades that the Canucks could take the cup this year and he will do anything necessary to make that happen.

It's what he has done his whole career...

Brutal.  Even with that kind of retention, that's too much to pay both asset and cap wise for a defenceman who is incapable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  Myers is far less of a liability than a useless pylon like Karlsson.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Brutal.  Even with that kind of retention, that's too much to pay both asset and cap wise for a defenceman who is incapable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  Myers is far less of a liability than a useless pylon like Karlsson.

You might be right, but Karlsson wants a shot at the cup, he's not going to get that in Pittsburgh in the last part of his career, I could totally see him get moved before the deadline to a contender and I would say that Canucks would be fairly high on his list with the Swedish connection here...

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You might be right, but Karlsson wants a shot at the cup, he's not going to get that in Pittsburgh in the last part of his career, I could totally see him get moved before the deadline to a contender and I would say that Canucks would be fairly high on his list with the Swedish connection here...

Why do we care what Karlson want??????

• Cheers 2

They should go after Alex Tuch 

big size skilled winger 

Hoglander Petterson Tuch 

2 more years after this 4.75m 

Mikheyev, Raty, Aidan McDonaugh, 2024 3rd,

might have to be 2025 2nd 

As per Sportsnet. 

"The Penguins are already without Guentzel, who is on injured reserve with an upper-body injury. Guentzel did travel with the team to start the four-game trip that begins Tuesday night in Vancouver, but he's ineligible to come off injured reserve until March 10."

Could something be in play here?

Is it common place to team travel a 4 game road trip while being ineligible to play?

2 minutes ago, Catman said:

As per Sportsnet. 

"The Penguins are already without Guentzel, who is on injured reserve with an upper-body injury. Guentzel did travel with the team to start the four-game trip that begins Tuesday night in Vancouver, but he's ineligible to come off injured reserve until March 10."

Could something be in play here?

Is it common place to team travel a 4 game road trip while being ineligible to play?

If the injury won’t be hindered by travel and the trainers and medical staff are all with the team it makes sense.

Im sure he knows this next stretch will determine their season. Probably wants to be with his teammates.

I wouldn’t read too much into it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

Why do we care what Karlson want??????

The good news is, when I make a prediction, you can always safely assume that I'm either:

A. Full of shit

B. delusional

C. Being controlled by alien intelligence without my knowledge 

D. All of the above.... 

😉

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The good news is, when I make a prediction, you can always safely assume that I'm either:

A. Full of shit

B. delusional

C. Being controlled by alien intelligence without my knowledge 

D. All of the above.... 

😉

That make you perfect Canucks fun like all of us.lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, occ78 said:

They should go after Alex Tuch 

big size skilled winger 

Hoglander Petterson Tuch 

2 more years after this 4.75m 

Mikheyev, Raty, Aidan McDonaugh, 2024 3rd,

might have to be 2025 2nd 

I wish but sadly that trade is too many okay pieces and not enough good pieces. They’d reject this trade. If you’d do the trade chances are the other team wouldn’t. I’d easily do this trade. I’d do it if it was both those picks and all the players.

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the injury won’t be hindered by travel and the trainers and medical staff are all with the team it makes sense.

Im sure he knows this next stretch will determine their season. Probably wants to be with his teammates.

I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Someone stuffed him in a duffle bag to drop off in Vancouver???

• ThereItIs 1

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [Speculation] Pre-TDL Thread - Petey to Re-Sign and Canucks Scouting Pittsburgh/Duhaime
On 2/26/2024 at 6:27 PM, Trebreh said:

I actually like Duhaime, he’s a nice middleweight fighter/pest that could be useful in the PO over a Aman or Diguiseppe.

I'd like to see them grab Carrick from Anaheim as well. Fast, plays hard, on the PK, and has size and uses it.

• Like 1

Canucks could look a bit different down the stretch and into playoffs:

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Guentzel - Pettersson - Lindholm

Joshua/Bains - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Duhaime

Kessel