[Fired] Kekalainen out as GM in Columbus

3 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

ABOUT DAMN TIME! 

I'd be livid with this dude if I were a Blue Jackets fan.. Jarmo wouldn't have made it 2 Seasons in a market like Vancouver!

They're really not.  They get that it was his time to go, but they're grateful for (most of) his years.

As bad as everyone thinks he is, he was given a raw deal in Columbus.

-Boberovsky walked

-Panerin walked

-Duchene walked

-PLD forced his way out

Nobody wants to play in Columbus unless they overpaid heavily (see Gaudreau, Gudbranson, Severson). If his team was in a sunny tax free state he most definitely would have had a better team with players that wanted to be there.

Not a great GM but not as bad as some might believe.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goalie29 said:

So is Mike Gillis I believe.  I do think they might go with someone with some NHL GM experience this time.

I heard (on 32 Thoughts I think) that Lou Lamoriello prefers head coaches on their 2nd HC job and has had a great deal of success.  I wonder if it works the same with GMs?  Are they better the 2nd time around?  Learned what not to do after the first go at it?

Wouldn't mind Benning there... might have a few good deals available 🙂

But don't do deals with Gillis...

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

The franchise was in the playoffs once before him and five times with him. They were roughly a 500 team last year and this year taking the ultimate dip for Celebrini, i am guessin.  Still, you are right and I am not against his being fired. I just think he will work again. 

Doubt it was planned... if it was, he wouldn't have been fired.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Wouldn't mind Benning there... might have a few good deals available 🙂

But don't do deals with Gillis...

Going with that philosophy, they should hire Mike Milbury.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

He was there for 11 years.  For better or worse he built that team so there's really no one else to blame for that.  No one in the NHL is going to be looking at him as a sought after commodity is my guess. 

i mean he did make the playoff in 5 of those 11 years.. in a city that no one really wants to play there long term.. while his recent track record isn't really good... making the playoff 5 times in 11 years is better than a lot of the GM out there especially in columbus

Just now, tas said:

I've yet to see you substantiate your nonsense even slightly, but I'm a patient guy, so I'll be here. 

oh you were serious this whole time... i thought we were playing a friendly game of fuck you! fuck me?

Three Stooges Comedian GIF

2 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

oh you were serious this whole time... i thought we were playing a friendly game of fuck you! fuck me?

Three Stooges Comedian GIF

I'm here to discuss hockey, not dangle a keychain in front of a toddler. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I've yet to see you substantiate your nonsense even slightly, but I'm a patient guy, so I'll be here. 

the intial comment was sarcastic... so i didnt spend much time on it... but i think 1st rounders expected to make an NHL impact right away playing there d4+ season in the AHL is on the borderline of struggling so i wont feel too bad if a few ppl disagree with me and even the management

1 minute ago, PeteyBOI said:

the intial comment was sarcastic... so i didnt spend much time on it... but i think 1st rounders expected to make an NHL impact right away playing there d4+ season in the AHL is on the borderline of struggling so i wont feel too bad if a few ppl disagree with me and even the management

if only anything was ever that simple, but it never is. 

29 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

you go first.

Podz is leading Abby in goals despite missing 7 games earlier this season from that nasty hit. His 14 goals and 26 points in 37 games would translate to 31 goals and 58 points over 82 games in a low scoring league.

His 14 goals puts him at 10th among all AHL players under age 23 this despite missing those 7 games

To say he is doing well would be an understatement, especially with the fact that his game is so much more than goals.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Podz is leading Abby in goals despite missing 7 games earlier this season from that nasty hit. His 14 goals and 26 points in 37 games would translate to 31 goals and 58 points over 82 games in a low scoring league.

His 14 goals puts him at 10th among all AHL players under age 23 this despite missing those 7 games

To say he is doing well would be an understatement, especially with the fact that his game is so much more than goals.

oh thanks TAS

35 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

As bad as everyone thinks he is, he was given a raw deal in Columbus.

-Boberovsky walked

-Panerin walked

-Duchene walked

-PLD forced his way out

Nobody wants to play in Columbus unless they overpaid heavily (see Gaudreau, Gudbranson, Severson). If his team was in a sunny tax free state he most definitely would have had a better team with players that wanted to be there.

Not a great GM but not as bad as some might believe.

The year they were a borderline playoff team and decided to keep players they knew they’d probably lose for nothing! That hurts for sure! Happened to us when we lost Markstrom and Tanev for nothing as we were in a playoff spot.

He has made decent trades like Johansen for Seth Jones’ good years then flipped him for Boqvist, Sillinger, Mateychuk and a 2nd rounder that brought in Bean. Flipped Saad for Panarin. Remember the Duchene trade being good but off the top of my head can’t remember what went the other way. He’s drafted pretty well.

Really his demise is nobody wanted to stay when they became free agents! People say for hiring Babcock which I don’t think he should take the fall for another man’s actions that he didn’t know that’s what he was doing when he hired him. Johnny Hockey and Laine are way overpaid but at the time of those contracts it seemed like positive assets.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been good either. 

Well defensively he's been good. 

Smart hockey iq. Defensively, he reads the play very well, always in the right position, takes the right pursuit lanes. Is that worth 5m?

Probably not? 

Saving grace is, a lot of top 6s are liabilities if they are not scoring. 

Mik is definitely not a liability. 

In my mind, if he's not able to recover from his knee surgery and his current speed is what he will have for the rest of his career, his value is as a shutdown 3rd line winger. I don't know what those cost contractually but I think it's less than 5m.

He's currently in the hot seat because our GM has done a fantastic job of trimming the fat on this roster. Every player is playing above his contract value. One might look and say Mik is the only one not doing that. Well and Myers too but Myers will only come back next year if he takes a significant hair cut 

Why wouldn't he be able to recover? It's an injury/surgery that normally takes the better part of a year to be even close to 100% again. Of course he's not there yet.

He's a ~0.55PPG (even in this "down" season) complementary, 2 way winger with size, ELITE speed, plays both special teams (PK/defense at an elite level)  and can actually play in/complement our top 6 players. He's easily worth his $4.75 cap hit. 

He's not remotely "fat". He's the type of player you win with.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

No but he’s injury prone in his career and have 32 freakin points as his career high. Either lower cap hit or way shorter term. So far in the 2 season he’s no where close to living up to his contract being good defensively isn’t worth 4.75

Could not disagree more. Injury prone, maybe. But he's a player you win with.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Why wouldn't he be able to recover? It's an injury/surgery that normally takes the better part of a year to be even close to 100% again. Of course he's not there yet.

He's a ~0.55PPG (even in this "down" season) complementary, 2 way winger with size, ELITE speed, plays both special teams (PK/defense at an elite level)  and can actually play in/complement our top 6 players. He's easily worth his $4.75 cap hit. 

He's not remotely "fat". He's the type of player you win with.

Could not disagree more. Injury prone, maybe. But he's a player you win with.

Sure he’s a player you win with I don’t disagree but not at 4.75mil and not for 4 years coming off another injury riddle season.  Benning gave out all those 4 year contract too with ferland poolman etc none of those worked out. 

sure you can say he’s a .55 ppg guy.. well he got most of the points in the first 2.5 months.. he has a whopping 4 points in the last 1.5 months when he’s suppose to be getting better from recovery not worse. He has 3 goals in this last 30+ games 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure he’s a player you win with I don’t disagree but not at 4.75mil and not for 4 years coming off another injury riddle season.  Benning gave out all those 4 year contract too with ferland poolman etc none of those worked out. 

Your having a correlation/causation issue. That's how much an elite skating, elite defensively, .5ppg UFA player that contributes on both special teams, 5v5 etc costs.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure you can say he’s a .55 ppg guy.. well he got most of the points in the first 2.5 months.. he has a whopping 4 points in the last 1.5 months when he’s suppose to be getting better from recovery not worse. He has 3 goals in this last 30+ games 

Yeah, while playing largely with the ghost of Kuz and Suter (who I love as a solid 2 way 3rd line guy but is not a top 6 C). And no, that's not how that works, this is the "grind" part of the season. Not surprisingly, he had his best couple games coming out of the all star break, after some rest. Struggled a bit before, struggling a bit again under heavy travel while recovering from major knee surgery, with minimal rest... he could probably use some "load management" of every 3rd-4th game off +/-. Hope we see that more towards the end of the season so he's fresher for the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Your having a correlation/causation issue. That's how much an elite skating, elite defensively, .5ppg UFA player that contributes on both special teams, 5v5 etc costs.

Yeah, while playing largely with the ghost of Kuz and Suter (who I love as a solid 2 way 3rd line guy but is not a top 6 C). And no, that's not how that works, this is the "grind" part of the season. Not surprisingly, he had his best couple games coming out of the all star break, after some rest. Struggled a bit before, struggling a bit again under heavy travel while recovering from major knee surgery, with minimal rest... he could probably use some "load management" of every 3rd-4th game off +/-. Hope we see that more towards the end of the season so he's fresher for the playoffs.

lol he doesn’t contribute anything to the special team.. he’s the 17th ranked skater on the team in average penalty kill minutes.. dunno why there’s a myth he’s a good pker when he hardly even pk and contributed 0 points on the powerplay.. if he keep up his current pace the last 1.5 months he’s not even going to match his career high with like 20 more games played. Mikheyev is great skating and defensively that’s all good if he’s a 3rd liner. He’s playing on supposively the scoring line.. he’s not doing any scoring.