[PGT] Deadwings at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Juulson is signed for next season already at <800k. He's shown he can hold down the third pair job imo, and he'll be motivated for his only shot at a bigger contract next season. 

Yes.   Myers would have to be willing to accept a lot less for the club to consider keeping him.   

22 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Be interesting if Podz could become that guy at the NHL level with some tutelage from Zads. If he could play that exact brand that Zad's does we'd be in perfect shape. 

Podz will never become a legit heavyweight in the NHL.

Power forward yes please.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Myers would have to be willing to accept a lot less for the club to consider keeping him.   

Losing Myers just means shelling out big money for a top 4 rhd to replace him anyway.  Whether it's Myers or not, they're going to have to pay up to fill that spot.

Imo, it's going to be cheaper to keep Myers there than to find a replacement 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

Just now, stawns said:

Losing Myers just means shelling out big money for a top 4 rhd to replace him anyway.  Whether it's Myers or not, they're going to have to pay up to fill that spot.

Imo, it's going to be cheaper to keep Myers there than to find a replacement 

maybe if he was 30. He's 34, how much term do you want to give him?

Just now, Bob Long said:

maybe if he was 30. He's 34, how much term do you want to give him?

Id give him 2-3 years.  Myers seems like he'd put some value on staying put, and he's a workhorse.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The great thing about it is that it gives PA lots of options, and the ability to not have to overspend. As stated, the best scenario would be Myers or Tanev on a 2 year deal <3m. The savings could then be used to resign Hronek, Pettersoon and Lindholm.

Much like the D, there are a few guys in the pipe that should provide be ready soon, and cheap. If I was PA, I'd trade Boeser this summer for max value, and use the money elsewhere. I was impressed with his play early, but he has reverted to the old Boeser once he hit 20/25 goals; like he was just trying to prove people wrong and is now content.

Lindholm is a great get for sure. So is Zads. No-way I'd bring Tanev back (unless its disgustingly cheap), guy is beat up pretty much.  wouldn't move out Boeser, he's

having his best year with Miller and is a great team-mate, also a bit tougher this year. Guy doesn't score a for a couple games and some want to trade him...LOL!

The Kessel thing must be for a possible new coaching thing in Abbotsford.  LOL, that dude aint gonna be flying around 200 foot ice rinks at break neck speed.

Our record indicates we do not have to do much. We are going for it right now. Lindholm a winner for sure but we did sell off some futures. I'm OK with that,

shows me we're going for it this year.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Monnohands since trade 0 points

Lindholm since the trade 4 goals and 5 points. 
Don’t understand what Chevy was thinking wasting picks on loserdoodle Monnohands. 

Knee jerk reaction once Lindholm was pulled off the table sending GM's scrambling for whatever they could grab with the sellers also sending PA bouquets of flowers hand delivered by Swedish Touch employees ... that and Chevy Chase thought he was getting the 2nd best player available.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what if you have to pick between Myers and say a Joshua extension?

Myers.....even if it's not Myers, they're going to have to pony up for a top 4 rhd anyway.  They don't have anyone in house

It's going to be easier to replace DJ than TM

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Myers.....even if it's not Myers, they're going to have to pony up for a top 4 rhd anyway.  They don't have anyone in house

Whoever is playing that spot will ideally come in at 4-4.5 max rather than 6. Market for top 4 D may make that interesting though. I could definitely see Myers back though. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's going to be easier to replace DJ than TM

problem is tho I think some teams might be willing to go 4 years with him as a UFA. We can't and shouldn't do that.

3 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Whoever is playing that spot will ideally come in at 4-4.5 max rather than 6. Market for top 4 D may make that interesting though. I could definitely see Myers back though. 

If it's not myers, they'll be hard pressed to fill that spot under $5m on the open market, imo

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

problem is tho I think some teams might be willing to go 4 years with him as a UFA. We can't and shouldn't do that.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean TM would take it.  He's an okanagan boy and knows what they're building in Van.  Iif anyone were to ever give some kind of hometown discount, it's TM at this point in his career

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

On pace for 119.228 points ... Based on our winning percentage.   .727 x 82 x 2.    As sick as 21 out of 27 is, we are pacing that,   55 wins and a bit so far anyways this year.   55gp, 37 wins.   We've won  67.27% of our games, over 82 games, it comes to 55.   Yikes right?   

For me the best part is our 5 x 5 play produces at a much higher rate.    And we've got the best PK in the league so far in 2024.    Hopefully when Lindholm settles in, and maybe if Kessel works out (4th line and 2nd PP unit), our PP will start clicking before the playoffs too.   Boston got the book on ours and figured out how to expose it (think they might of scored more short handed goals against us, then we scored on the PP).     A hot power play for sure helps, despite ours falling off a cliff in 2024 so far (10th now, 23.9%),  we still are winning a lot.    

Once that starts clicking,  this team will have it all.   Already has enough to win a cup.  See Allvin working a little more along the edges, our depth is pretty great too with what's in Abby.   A lot of 7th D's, and 13th forwards. 

Edit:  Another way to look at it, as far as wins goes anyways, Canucks need to win 18 next 27 games, to break the club record of 54...   Way things have been going, that seems plausible/possible.   Remarkable really.  Or 2 out of every 3. 

Nice write up. I for one will be cheering then to finish as follows - the definition of entering the playoffs hot:

image.png.d997f351d4bec56e04eb3650d71c0e84.png

Certainly doable, with this group, and especially with the rest of the schedule remaining. Go 5-0-0 the next 2 home games and the road trip which includes Splatting the Rat and I would lay down about a dozen of @Alflives unemptied empties on them finishing above 120 pts. The 9 games in a row home stand will be epic.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed, but that doesn't mean TM would take it.  He's an okanagan boy and knows what they're building in Van.  Iif anyone were to ever give some kind of hometown discount, it's TM at this point in his career

I mean if he's willing to do 2 years at 3 mil? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I mean if he's willing to do 2 years at 3 mil? 

I think he'll come in around $3.5-4m over 2-3 years, which will be cheaper than replacing him, imo.  Completely a guess though 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I’m looking forward to the tougher matches with Boston Vegas Dallas and I guess now Florida Tampa bay… 

see how we match up…

I’m looking forward to the game this weekend against Winnipeg. Should be a good test against two strong defensive teams with good fire power. And great goaltending. 

• Cheers 2

Man I would love to find a way to keep Z and Joshua on reasonable contracts. Z keeps proving time and time again having a guy of his calibre keeps the other team honest and our boyz play bigger knowing he has there back. 

3.5 x 8

Give him max term with low AAV

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

The Chaos Giraffe, whom I like in a lot more games this year than I despised him in, would have some stiff competition from the group below. Most of the players below are filtered by "Free Agents that are 29 yrs old or older", a rough metric on UFA - haven't checked each individual one.

For example, would you rather have Ian Cole at $1.5 - 2M or TM at $3M each on a 2 year contract ... or ... Tanev on a 2x$3M contract ... or ... Justin Schultz on a similar contact as Ian Cole ... I am not assuming that the aforementioned players will sign contracts like that but would not be out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I think the Giraffe would be let go if he was asking for $3M AAV on term but then again I don't get paid the big bucks to make those kinds of decisions and am glad PA / JR are.

image.thumb.png.f137ec5f615cbc0b0d4a566e0dfc16c4.png

And who would they replace Myers with then?  I'm betting a good chunk of rhd on the Ufa list will re-sign with their current teams?  The tdl will give a bit of preview of who might be available as a ufa.

• Upvote 1