[PGT] Deadwings at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Man I would love to find a way to keep Z and Joshua on reasonable contracts. Z keeps proving time and time again having a guy of his calibre keeps the other team honest and our boyz play bigger knowing he has there back. 

3.5 x 8

Give him max term with low AAV

I love DJ, but if he's looking for a big payday, he'll be the easiest to replace

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

The Chaos Giraffe, whom I like in a lot more games this year than I despised him in, would have some stiff competition from the group below. Most of the players below are filtered by "Free Agents that are 29 yrs old or older", a rough metric on UFA - haven't checked each individual one (EDIT: Status says all are UFA for the 2024 - 2025 season.)

For example, would you rather have Ian Cole at $1.5 - 2M or TM at $3M each on a 2 year contract ... or ... Tanev on a 2x$3M contract ... or ... Justin Schultz on a similar contact as Ian Cole ... I am not assuming that the aforementioned players will sign contracts like that but would not be out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I think the Giraffe would be let go if he was asking for $3M AAV on term but then again I don't get paid the big bucks to make those kinds of decisions and am glad PA / JR are.

image.thumb.png.f137ec5f615cbc0b0d4a566e0dfc16c4.png

I tend to agree with this, and given how good our coaches are at implementing a solid system I'm not worried at all about letting Myers walk as a UFA. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

And who would they replace Myers with then?  I'm betting a good chunk of rhd on the Ufa list will re-sign with their current teams?  The tdl will give a bit of preview of who might be available as a ufa.

Team will need to plug some spots.   A lot of this will depend on how their RFA deals go.   Which often take time to do.    Practically every team model, is relying on Myers cap hit going elsewhere.    If WNP doesn't re-sign Dillon, he'd be a good target.    Tanev verus Myers is a reasonable discussion, an off season concern more than anything else.  

• Cheers 3

Just now, IBatch said:

Team will need to plug some spots.   A lot of this will depend on how their RFA deals go.   Which often take time to do.    Practically every team model, is relying on Myers cap hit going elsewhere.    If WNP doesn't re-sign Dillon, he'd be a good target.    Tanev verus Myers is a reasonable discussion, an off season concern more than anything else.  

Myers might go somewhere, but the caphit that goes with the top 4 rhd spot he fills isn't going anywhere.  There's no one, in house, to take that spot

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Juulson has been outplaying Meyers. He will likely end up as 7D for playoffs but his PK is superior to Meyers and Zad. I think the Van d-side might be complete as is. Juulson plays out the season for added reps. Soucy gets back for some games before playoffs. He is the 2LD IMO. Cole is decent as well. Looking good boys.

Agreed. Barring any major injuries to top 4, the D is in great shape for a PO run. Juulsen and Friedman are a VERY good 7/8 option, and we have some vet guys in the AHL that can step in to fill teh 7/8 role if need be (Irwin, Wolanin, etc).

Are biggest hole is another Dakota type player to play on teh 2nd or 3rd line. Bains or Podz would fit the mold....but maybe go after a vet like Maroon?

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

If it's not myers, they'll be hard pressed to fill that spot under $5m on the open market, imo

You could be right. I think Tanev might be an option but that would be another home town story kinda deal. 

I wouldn’t put it passed this management group to pull another Cole out of the proverbial hat though either. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Myers might go somewhere, but the caphit that goes with the top 4 rhd spot he fills isn't going anywhere.  There's no one, in house, to take that spot

In 2024/25, 100% agree. The hope would be that Willander would be in the mix in 25/26; we need the stop gap for 24/25.

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

You could be right. I think Tanev might be an option but that would be another home town story kinda deal. 

I wouldn’t put it passed this management group to pull another Cole out of the proverbial hat though either. 

Or simply resign Cole at 2.5-3m for 2 years as the stop gap. I think there are lots of options (Tanev, Myers, cole,????), it will all come down to the $; the more we save, the more we can retain of our new core (Zad, Lindholm, dakota...). 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Without Myers (and without bringing in another top four) D would look something like 

Hughes/Hronek

Cole/Soucey

Zadarov/Juulson 

that assumes we bring back Zad and Cole and also assumes Soucey can stay healthy. It’s feasible… arguments can definitely be made about whether that’s a great too 4 or not but it’s not horrendous. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love DJ, but if he's looking for a big payday, he'll be the easiest to replace

I love DJ too, but I think we are over valuing him; he is a 2ish million dollar guy. Garland truly drives that line, and sets up the chances. Dakota has chemistry with him and finishes. ON another team, he is probably just an average checking 3/4 liner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Without Myers (and without bringing in another top four) D would look something like 

Hughes/Hronek

Cole/Soucey

Zadarov/Juulson 

that assumes we bring back Zad and Cole and also assumes Soucey can stay healthy. It’s feasible… arguments can definitely be made about whether that’s a great too 4 or not but it’s not horrendous. 

Imo a playoff team can't have Cole playing top 4 mins.  That is a big regression 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

In 2024/25, 100% agree. The hope would be that Willander would be in the mix in 25/26; we need the stop gap for 24/25.

TW might be in the NHL in two seasons, but most likely not top 4 ready 

Hughes the goon...The softest slashing call I've ever seen.... 

Team is rolling... Defence playing well, again, and its refreshing to actually have confidence in the D.

Obviously helps that the forwards cover for the Dmen, when they venture into the O=zone.... structure...

Saturday is going to be big... looking forward to it already...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo a playoff team can't have Cole playing top 4 mins.  That is a big regression 

I agree, but with Soucy back, we have a 1st pair, then two x 2/3 pairs (distribute the minutes between). This has actually worked well this year, as all 4 guys (Soucy, Zad, Cole, and  Myers) fit this mold. VERY good 3rd pair guys...good but not great second pair guys. As such, even out the minutes, and it is functional.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed...but to my point previously; Cole/Myers combo is a serviceable 2nd pair evening out minutes. People under estimate how good and consistent Myers has been for us this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1