[PGT] Deadwings at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

13 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Our big three country club guys have headed off for greener pastures.

IMG_1679.png

This is accurate but I hate to say it, under Horvat as captain players like LE and OEL were allowed to exist.  I don't think either the coaching staff or the leadership now would ever let a player slide without taking quick action.  The Canucks players have all the tools now there's no excuses.  When a player doesn't give it their full effort and fit the system they're removed.  Loi and Pearson and OEL are reminders of a past culture where they were happy with mediocrity.  

• Cheers 4

59 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

617 wins over 1087 games disagree with you. He was the right coach at the time he came into the Canucks system and Tocchet was exactly the right coach to take over for Bruce when he did.

Only issue was how Bruce-Thee-It-Is termination was handled. Lots of worn our keyboards have been used on this latter topic already so will leave it at that.

Agree. Bruce wasn't bad for us, he turned the team around and got them going in the right direction. He turned a simmering, increasingly negative into a feel good positive. 

But ...

Since everyone was so caught up in the emotions of Bruce There It Is, which finally gave us something to cheer about, fans overlooked - and were willing to overlook - the fact that Bruce had a ceiling.

JR already knew this. 

It's a really great example of feelings/emotion versus tactical/systematic. Same with Kuzmenko.

We're fortunate that our management was committed to making the difficult, uncomfortable and unpopular decisions to make the team better.

That's a really key factor to our current success. With a different group more prone to giving into emotion, we could very well be still spinning our wheels and wasting this core. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Just shoot.

Coaches need to do a drill where they’re not allowed more than 3 passes before a shot.

Right now they’re moving the puck without purpose. They need to make plays that are built around someone shooting (I know crazy idea). Doesn’t matter if one of their guys are in the way, they won’t be next time.

And they fucking need to stop with the drop passes! Fucking hate it!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Team will need to plug some spots.   A lot of this will depend on how their RFA deals go.   Which often take time to do.    Practically every team model, is relying on Myers cap hit going elsewhere.    If WNP doesn't re-sign Dillon, he'd be a good target.    Tanev verus Myers is a reasonable discussion, an off season concern more than anything else.  

I agree with your statements about waiting until the offseason.  No need to rush into anything now. I'm still pretty wary on Myers. He's playing alright but only after a lot of tribulations and he needs to be surrounded by players where he can kind of be invisible. There must be a number of defenders that would fit the vision of what Allvin is looking for. Myers is also a year older and not in a contract year going forward. I'm worried we jump right back into a negative situation again if we re-sign him.

4 hours ago, Dizzle said:

You could be right. I think Tanev might be an option but that would be another home town story kinda deal. 

I wouldn’t put it passed this management group to pull another Cole out of the proverbial hat though either. 

Our management team has shown to have excellent pro scouting. I think they'll be looking for a more specific skillset to play RD behind Hronek. Perhaps someone younger as well that can possibly grow with the team as Willander comes aboard. 

4 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I love DJ too, but I think we are over valuing him; he is a 2ish million dollar guy. Garland truly drives that line, and sets up the chances. Dakota has chemistry with him and finishes. ON another team, he is probably just an average checking 3/4 liner.

That's possibly true on DJ, but at the same time we really don't have many players like him either. Almost leading the league in hits, plays with his size, and can put the puck in the net. Pretty valuable to us but in our cap crunch you're absolutely right, it's hard to pay him what he can probably command.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

WE are hated! This one really pisses me off. I didn't expect this at all....

It's from his high-stick in the game in Detroit. I'd assume whoever high-sticked Hoglander last night will probably receive the same.

Edited by ManbeastMARK
  • Vintage 1

Preview of Condensed Game for tomorrow's (I do the GDT) 'Peg vs Canucks:

sJekhp.gif

Butterbean was legendary and a really nice guy. Met him once, enormous dude.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

Not a crazy idea, I think it was Gretzky that once said, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" ... easier said than done of course but 17 passes in a row before a lucky stick bumping the puck out of the O-zone is the equivalent to not taking a shot.

No, that was Michael Scott who said that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree. Bruce wasn't bad for us, he turned the team around and got them going in the right direction. He turned a simmering, increasingly negative into a feel good positive. 

But ...

Since everyone was so caught up in the emotions of Bruce There It Is, which finally gave us something to cheer about, fans overlooked - and were willing to overlook - the fact that Bruce had a ceiling.

JR already knew this. 

It's a really great example of feelings/emotion versus tactical/systematic. Same with Kuzmenko.

We're fortunate that our management was committed to making the difficult, uncomfortable and unpopular decisions to make the team better.

That's a really key factor to our current success. With a different group more prone to giving into emotion, we could very well be still spinning our wheels and wasting this core. 

Aaaaannnnnnnndddddddd .... another keyboard sent to the landfill. 100% agree with 87.6% of the letters above.

Love this team!

Kudos to Tic-Toc

Salutations to Footy and Gonch on the D we have

You get the drift.

We will win the cup this year and the first round at the bar at GM Place (my favorite name) is on me for anyone that posts here that shows up.

I will have a bottle (or 3) of Louis XIII on ice.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A bit surprised at the fine as this kind of stuff does happen unpenalized and doesn't attract discipline through fines. I guess the league has its eye on Hoglander - I can see argument for it being irresponsible handling of the stick but again, that kind of stuff happens often. I assume they're reading intent into this.

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

A bit surprised at the fine as this kind of stuff does happen unpenalized and doesn't attract discipline through fines. I guess the league has its eye on Hoglander - I can see argument for it being irresponsible handling of the stick but again, that kind of stuff happens often. I assume they're reading intent into this.

I don't know.  I don't see intent either, careless perhaps.  Looks like a position battle in front of the net.  I guess the DoPS really doesn't like that it was to the back of the head.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know.  I don't see intent either, careless perhaps.  Looks like a position battle in front of the net.  I guess the DoPS really doesn't like that it was too the back of the head.

man the league was just dying to hand out something to placate Leafs fans. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2