[PGT] Deadwings at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know.  I don't see intent either, careless perhaps.  Looks like a position battle in front of the net.  I guess the DoPS really doesn't like that it was too the back of the head.

Why do people think lack of intent matters? 

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

A bit surprised at the fine as this kind of stuff does happen unpenalized and doesn't attract discipline through fines. I guess the league has its eye on Hoglander - I can see argument for it being irresponsible handling of the stick but again, that kind of stuff happens often. I assume they're reading intent into this.

I would counter argue that there is a sliding scale and on one end are the Canucks and the other is Bettman with "TO, Rangers and next highest bidder" up his ass (recolving door).

All kidding aside, Canucks just have to beat everyone (boogie man or imagined) and sip from Lord Stanley's cup.

We can bitch about refs, Bettnan, the Aztec Calendar but at end of day team on ice will overcome all. Will our team overcome a bad call game 7 SCF OT that results in a loss, of course not. What are we even doing in a game 7 leaving it up to Beaver!!!!! GAME 7 F-NG KILL THEM IN FIRST PERIOD!!!!! However, overall we are on the same wheel as the rest of the teams. Will the best team win, no (hello 2011) but the team that overcomes all will.

If Aquaman truly believed the league was skewed against him and his $1B investment,  the brick he would shit along with the 25+ other owners that aren't up Bettman's ass would be Pay-Per-View worthy.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Listening to some people talk about Myers is like listening to conservative nutjobs talk about Taylor Swift

I don't think its weird to worry about a 34 year old dman declining, is it? isn't that your concern with Millers contract?

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

Stupid question, with how well Juulsen's playing, should we consider going 11-7 and keep him playing for PK duties and defensive matchups?

Hog - Lindholm - Petey 

Suter - Miller - Boeser 

Dak - Blueger - Garland 

Mikheyev - Aman 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Cole 

Juulsen

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think its weird to worry about a 34 year old dman declining, is it? isn't that your concern with Millers contract?

It's not weird, but the context ain't the same. Myers is a pending UFA who can be walked away from or potentially extended on a short-term basis for less than he's making whereas Miller will be making 8M til he's in his age 36-37 season unless he's bought out or traded. The Miller contract is set in stone whereas Myer's future is very much up in the air. 

Myers, at present, is showing that he can still contribute though, and his contributions aren't tethered to offense the way much of Miller's contribution is. As a defenseman the expectations are different, you want offense from your D but his primary job is to help the Canucks defend and he's done a better job of that this season under Tochett. If the Canucks decide they want to go a different route going forward they can simply opt out of negotiating with Myers at the end of the season.  

The concern regarding Miller is how his long-term deal will age, Myers is at the end of his long-term deal. How Myers will age in regards to any extension is anyone's guess, but until he's actually got an extension with the Canucks it's not really a factor is it? 

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's not weird, but the context ain't the same. Myers is a pending UFA who can be walked away from or potentially extended on a short-term basis for less than he's making whereas Miller will be making 8M til he's in his age 36-37 season unless he's bought out or traded. The Miller contract is set in stone whereas Myer's future is very much up in the air. 

Myers, at present, is showing that he can still contribute though, and his contributions aren't tethered to offense the way much of Miller's contribution is. As a defenseman the expectations are different, you want offense from your D but his primary job is to help the Canucks defend and he's done a better job of that this season under Tochett. If the Canucks decide they want to go a different route going forward they can simply opt out of negotiating with Myers at the end of the season.  

The concern regarding Miller is how his long-term deal will age, Myers is at the end of his long-term deal. How Myers will age in regards to any extension is anyone's guess, but until he's actually got an extension with the Canucks it's not really a factor is it? 

All fair. But this is also the best we've ever seen Myers play, and it's not really close. Id be concerned about how long he can keep it going. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Was it Moj at 3:55 asking a question about Hog? Sounds like Moj, but I don't think he ever covered Canucks in the past?

Yea pretty sure is Moj. I heard him the other day as well in Tocchet's pre game interview. I guess football season is over (NFL).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

All fair. But this is also the best we've ever seen Myers play, and it's not really close. Id be concerned about how long he can keep it going. 

That's valid, but I believe he can keep it going til the playoffs are done one way or another

I've argued he could be worth retaining, but it'd have to be cheaper and a short term deal imo

Both would mitigate risk and decrease expectations from him

There are benefits to moving on from Myers as well

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

isn't that why follow through contact is allowed? 

no, it's because a player can't reasonably be expected to have that kind of control over their stick when it's the follow-through for a shot. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why do people think lack of intent matters? 

If a player is extremely careless with their stick then I could certainly see a stronger case for a fine or even a suspension without any consideration of intent.

I guess I just don't see how Hoglander's use of the stick in this situation rises to a level that requires a fine because this kind of stick contact seems to happen pretty regularly and isn't always penalized. I wouldn't defend Hoglander for being at least careless with this high stick, but that's often how high sticking penalties happen. I'm not necessarily against the handing out of a fine for this, but it's more of a question of why this infraction?

I think another poster's point about this being to the back of Walman's head is probably a factor that DOPS really didn't like, but since that pretty much just seems to be speculation on our parts, it's hard to understand the standard here.

If DOPS started reviewing games and handing out fines for infractions (including just for careless play), then maybe that would lead to some discernable standard and may even start to have a cumulative impact in how players manage themselves. While the fines are relatively small compared to a player's salary, if the league started to hit players with fines repeatedly then that could add up quickly. Not saying this is what I would want to see, but the lack of a discernable standard is likewise frustrating.

Singling out this particular high stick by Hoglander just seems a bit odd and suggests a bit of extra attention from the league on Hoglander (e.g. maybe because of his previous slew foot on Kevin Labanc). I just speculated that maybe the league is reading intent into Hoglander's high stick (including attention because of the Griddy by Walman in the previous game) which, aside from the back of head contact, could have motivated the issuing of the fine. We might never know.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

9 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If a player is extremely careless with their stick then I could certainly see a stronger case for a fine or even a suspension without any consideration of intent.

I guess I just don't see how Hoglander's use of the stick in this situation rises to a level that requires a fine because this kind of stick contact seems to happen pretty regularly and isn't always penalized. I wouldn't defend Hoglander for being at least careless with this high stick, but that's often how high sticking penalties happen. I'm not necessarily against the handing out of a fine for this, but it's more of a question of why this infraction?

I think another poster's point about this being to the back of Walman's head is probably a factor that DOPS really didn't like, but since that pretty much just seems to be speculation on our parts, it's hard to understand the standard here.

If DOPS started reviewing games and handing out fines for infractions (including just for careless play), then maybe that would lead to some discernable standard and may even start to have a cumulative impact in how players manage themselves. While the fines are relatively small compared to a player's salary, if the league started to hit players with fines repeatedly then that could add up quickly. Not saying this is what I would want to see, but the lack of a discernable standard is likewise frustrating.

Singling out this particular high stick by Hoglander just seems a bit odd and suggests a bit of extra attention from the league on Hoglander (e.g. maybe because of his previous slew foot on Kevin Labanc). I just speculated that maybe the league is reading intent into Hoglander's high stick (including attention because of the Griddy by Walman in the previous game) which, aside from the back of head contact, could have motivated the issuing of the fine. We might never know.

Intent can influence the severity of a punishment, agreed.

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Good post; Shorter players really use their arms and swing them hard back and forth even more then your standard guys to generate speed. Hoggy does very

much. This stinks though because there's nothing wrong with it, IMO, and I hope the Hog doesn't let it get to him..

24 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

Yea pretty sure is Moj. I heard him the other day as well in Tocchet's pre game interview. I guess football season is over (NFL).

Moj is a bandwagon media type…. Canucks are relevant so he figures it’s time to cover the team again… when I heard his voice around Christmas time I kinda rolled my eyes. I have nothing against him personally just found it funny how he alienated the team for the past 8 years lol “ hey Moj “ 

We are all Canucks I guess :towel:

• Vintage 2

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Myers would have to be willing to accept a lot less for the club to consider keeping him.   

Indeed ..... he'll have to decide if he wants his name on the cup just once, or multiple times