[PGT] Deadwings at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

Just now, Bob Long said:

Juuls is just getting better and better. He's certainly making a good case for himself to be the third pair guy next season.

I wish Willander was ready. The timing would've been perfect for him to replace Myers right when his contract expires and Juulsen could slot in on the third pair. You'd then have two defencemen on contracts under $1 million. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I wish Willander was ready. The timing would've been perfect for him to replace Myers right when his contract expires and Juulsen could slot in on the third pair. You'd then have two defencemen on contracts under $1 million. 

Could work out well with Tanev for a year or two as well. He'd be a great mentor for Willander.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Could work out well with Tanev for a year or two as well. He'd be a great mentor for Willander.

The great thing about Juulsen is that it gives PA lots of options, and the ability to not have to overspend. As stated, the best scenario would be Myers or Tanev on a 2 year deal <3m. The savings could then be used to resign Hronek, Petterson and Lindholm.

Much like the D, there are a few guys in the pipe that should be ready soon, and cheap. If I was PA, I'd trade Boeser this summer for max value, and use the money elsewhere. I was impressed with his play early, but he has reverted to the old Boeser once he hit 20/25 goals; like he was just trying to prove people wrong and is now content. More Bains and Podz please.

Edited by BC_Hawk

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Yes, good point, Bains could be a very good player too. More the merrier. 

Should give him a look in right now with Dakota out. Lafferty and Aman don't hurt the team system, but offense dies on there stick right now.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd put Dakota on LTIR, and call up Bains

Petterson-Lind-Hogs

Bains-Miller-Boeser

Mik-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Suter-Lafferty

Edited by BC_Hawk

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

This team desperately needed, for lack of better words,  modern day enforcer.    As in a legit NHL player, who adds colour, can cream guys, and deter players on other teams, from taking liberties on our stars (or anyone really).   They know, that we can retaliate in kind.   Soucy back, and with Juulsen as our 7th D.   

Would be nice to add another Joshua type in the top 12 forward group, Deslauriers or a Foligno, sure would look good in the Black Skate.     Speaking of which, hoping they unleash that for the post season.  11-1.     When we face EDM or Vegas, or even Dallas ... we could use any mental edge available.    EDM ... i'm sure one of Kane, Perry or Nurse is going to deliberately try and take out other players,  Vegas and Dallas at least, seem to respect the line, and can handle shenanigans.   

I'm with you Batch.  We still need a legit Gino-type who can pound the turds into mush, only attracting 5 minute majors, and skate (you gotta get there to hurt there).

Love everything except missing this old-fashioned, but as you say, modern day enforcer who fights like Ryp as a Heavyweight, but plays like a Goody-Two Shoes and draws penalties not takes them, etc.  Fast, smart, and top-of-the-league-tough.

Who do we have in the minors etc?

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

If I was PA, I'd trade Boeser this summer for max value, and use the money elsewhere. I was impressed with his play early, but he has reverted to the old Boeser once he hit 20/25 goals; like he was just trying to prove people wrong and is now content. More Bains and Podz please.

yea I could see that once Petey is inked. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

This team desperately needed, for lack of better words,  modern day enforcer.    As in a legit NHL player, who adds colour, can cream guys, and deter players on other teams, from taking liberties on our stars (or anyone really).   They know, that we can retaliate in kind.   Soucy back, and with Juulsen as our 7th D.   

Would be nice to add another Joshua type in the top 12 forward group, Deslauriers or a Foligno, sure would look good in the Black Skate.     Speaking of which, hoping they unleash that for the post season.  11-1.     When we face EDM or Vegas, or even Dallas ... we could use any mental edge available.    EDM ... i'm sure one of Kane, Perry or Nurse is going to deliberately try and take out other players,  Vegas and Dallas at least, seem to respect the line, and can handle shenanigans.   

If Edmonton tries to take out one of our players, I honestly would be disappointed if Mcdavid didn't take a cross check to the head. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I'm with you Batch.  We still need a legit Gino-type who can pound the turds into mush, only attracting 5 minute majors, and skate (you gotta get there to hurt there).

Love everything except missing this old-fashioned, but as you say, modern day enforcer who fights like Ryp as a Heavyweight, but plays like a Goody-Two Shoes and draws penalties not takes them, etc.  Fast, smart, and top-of-the-league-tough.

Who do we have in the minors etc?

Be interesting if Podz could become that guy at the NHL level with some tutelage from Zads. If he could play that exact brand that Zad's does we'd be in perfect shape. 

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Was at the game tonight. Really enjoyed it.

1. Canucks were the better team at 5-on-5 in the first period and took a 2-0 lead. Penalties were a problem with the Canucks taking 3 minor penalties. Fortunately the PK was excellent. Lindholm was particularly good. He was usually the first guy over the boards on the PK to take the D-zone faceoff. Juulsen was also very good on the PK (again).

2. By the eye-test, by scoring, and by underlying analytics stats, the Petey-Lindholm-Hoggy line was great. They dominated play. Tocchet has been patient with Hoggy, wanting him to improve his defensive consistency before giving him an extended shot in the top 6. I think that was the right call. Now he is in the top 6 and playing well. Of course, playing with Petey and Lindholm doesn't hurt as those two guys were probably the best skaters on the ice tonight. That line looks great.

4. Losing Joshua from the 3rd line hurt. Mik was "OK" (to quote Tocchet) but not great. As always, he was solid defensively but he seems to be "squeezing his stick" too hard on offence and his knee remains a question. 

5. Demko was not busy early but was excellent late when Detroit made a push. I said that Petey and Lindholm were the two best skaters on the ice, but I would vote for Demko as the best player. Once again, the team with the better goalie won. If the two teams had exchanged goalies, the score after 60 probably would have something 2-2 or 3-3. Demmer definitely covered up some flaws in the Canucks game. But the goalie is part of the team and he has been a big part of the teams' success all year.

While our results on the PK was good, I didn't think it looked good on the eye test. I saw a lot of down low passes through the front of the net where Det players either just missed it or Demko made a really good save. I thought Det was unlucky on their PP and could have easily scored one or even 2 on the PP. We lacked pressure and we gave them too much time. 

I thought Mik was fine on the 3rd line. Doesn't quite have the physical presence DJ does but the line continued to generate chances and there wasn't much of a drop off.

Hoggy deserves top 6 and seems to compliment the 2 Eliases well. It's his speed getting in on the forecheck and strong down low play that opens up the other 2 guys. 

Demko was great. His timely saves kept the game out of reach for Det and helped us feel in control throughout the game

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Juulson has been outplaying Meyers. He will likely end up as 7D for playoffs but his PK is superior to Meyers and Zad. I think the Van d-side might be complete as is. Juulson plays out the season for added reps. Soucy gets back for some games before playoffs. He is the 2LD IMO. Cole is decent as well. Looking good boys.

Juulsen is like found money.   Makes it easier to let Myers walk unless he's willing to take a Schenn/Benn like deal. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2