[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Winnipeg Jets, Rogers Arena, Feb 17, 7PM PST (10PM EST), the HOLY CRAP! WE AREN'T PLAYING AT 10AM GAME ON A WEEKEND GAME!

Rocket-68

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rick Ball is fine. But I think he's mostly with Winnipeg games. But he does the odd Alberta games.

Yes. Rick Ball does a good job.

I remember he used to do sports news on radio in Kelowna about 25 years ago. When he went to Vancouver to begin a long climb up the ladder his cohorts in Kelowna were laughing at him for being a bush league game broadcaster. I believe they’re flipping hamburgers at Dairy Queen now and he’s calling NHL hockey full time. 

ETA: I thought Rick Ball did primarily Calgary games? Could be wrong. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

I remember he used to do sports news on radio in Kelowna about 25 years ago. When he went to Vancouver to begin a long climb up the ladder his cohorts in Kelowna were laughing at him for being a bush league game broadcaster. I believe they’re flipping hamburgers at Dairy Queen now and he’s calling NHL hockey full time. 

Is Ball the guy who used to be on local radio and made fun of himself because he had a Charlie Brown sized head? 

2 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I really liked Ball when he had the noon spot on The Team. (I think it was the noon slot) He'd talk about his large cranium/head and joke about it. Which is hilarious because he's on radio how was the listeners supposed to know? 😄

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

ETA: I thought Rick Ball did primarily Calgary games? Could be wrong. 

He and Greg Milan do the Lames games. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

True. Exactly that. I just think he's not at the stage in his development to be sticking longer and traveling with the team. This is his very first call up.

We do need to see him at this level though. He's been too good. 

He'll be here awhile, imo

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is Ball the guy who used to be on local radio and made fun of himself because he had a Charlie Brown sized head? 

I know he left Kelowna radio and came to Vancouver to call games here. He’s pretty good natured so it’s entirely possibly he laughs at the size of his own gargantuan cranium. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Barnstorm said:

I know he left Kelowna radio and came to Vancouver to call games here. He’s pretty good natured so it’s entirely possibly he laughs at the size of his own gargantuan cranium. 

If that’s the guy, then he was great! But he’s now a Flame, so he’s a fat head! 

19 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

What are some of your show pieces or favorites?

Don't really have any show pieces... Too expensive. had a nice 30 year Glen Livit... Went down a treat.

But probably have the standard ones Glern Morangie, Glen Fiddich, Highland park, Glen Moray, Singleton, Monkey shoulder, Dewars and Famous grouse (Irish coffee)... are the ones I have together with my Livits and Macallan... 

I am actually prefer Spicy Rum, so I've got more of them. 

Edited by spook007

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Don't really have any show pieces... Too expensive. had a nice 30 year Glen Livit... Went down a treat.

But probably have the standard ones Glern Morangie, Glen Fiddich, Highland park, Glen Moray, Singleton, Monkey shoulder, Dewars and Famous grouse (Irish coffee)... are the ones I have together with my Livits and Macallan... 

But to be honest, I'm more likely to drink Spicy Rum these days... and them I have a fair collection of ready for a taste or two.

I am actually prefer Rum, so I've got more of them. 

Right on 30 year anything is cool

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I hear ya. I too don't like high numbers but since the past several years this arrangement seems to be the opposite of how it used to be..

Personally for a big tough guy like Joshia I love a number in the late 10s or late 20s. Like 17/18/26/27/28....

but he's #81

For Dmen I like single digit numbers. 

Back when I was young thats how it was and only the stars got high numbers. But if you go down the lineup 50% of the players on the roster have high numbers. 

10  players on Canucks have #51 or above 

And all the star players have lower numbers

Boeser #6

Miller #9

Lindholm #23

EP #40 

Hughes #43

Hronek #17

I am from the era where defensemen wore the low numbers.  Anything goes these days. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So word of caution. Baileys Light. 40% less sugar than regular Bailey's is NOT worth it. It's basically Bailey's watered down.

I just looked up Regular Bailey's it's 9 grams of sugar for 50 ml, and 18 for 100ml.

Bad call. I'm trying to cut more sugar intake. But blech.

I got you covered!

A Gorilla's Lunch

1) Fill a rocks glass with large cubed ice

2) Pour 1 oz of Banana Liqueur over the ice

3) Pour 1 oz of Kahlua over the banana Liqueur

4) Add some milk or cream or heavy cream, about 1 oz or so, volume and ingredient depending on how creamy you like your drinks

5) Water down with 2 oz of good VODKA - Grey Goose, Ketel One, Stolichnaya, Russian Standard Gold or a nod to my dear departed grandpa Moskovskaya (decent for the money)

Give a stir with a swizzle stick.

6) Garnish (optional) with a slice of pineapple, wheel of orange or Maraschino cherry

7) Make a round every 15 minutes until someone passes out then bump to 30 minutes

It is a drink I put out during Christmas and every year a couple of 60-pounders are mostly finished by the end of the night. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Does this stuff age in the bottle or only in the cask?  Can you buy a bottle and set it aside for 25 years and get a good result?

No. Once it hits the bottle she's all she wrote.

Wine can age in the bottle but not whisky.

A 30 year old has aged for 30 years in a barrel and nothing in the shelf.

Edited by chris12345
  • Thanks 1
  • chaos 1

Just now, chris12345 said:

No. Once it hits the bottle she's all she wrote.

Wine can age in the bottle but not whisky.

A 30 year old has aged fpr 30 years in a barrel and nothing in the shelf.

Thanks for that. I always wondered. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

macob.webp

I once got to taste a peaty Macallan.

That is a rare thing for Macallan. 

It was a WW2 era bottle. The reason it had heavy peat notes was that they were forced to re-use other brands casks around that time due to shortages. 

I only had one glass at a vip tasting, the entire bottle cost a bajillion dollars.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

While we wait for the game to start, now that Dallas couldn't close the deal against the Coilers, below was a prediction made pre-season by The Athletic 

image.thumb.jpeg.ce4664e7bdfec5fc3f275d52243d95b2.jpeg

A few surprises I am sure, LOL hello from our team, TO and Pittsburgh not slotted in correctly now that the season is about 2/3 through-ish ... ahh the benefit of hindsight.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

While we wait for the game to start, now that Dallas couldn't close the deal against the Coilers, below was a prediction made pre-season by The Athletic 

image.thumb.jpeg.ce4664e7bdfec5fc3f275d52243d95b2.jpeg

A few surprises I am sure, LOL hello from our team, TO and Pittsburgh not slotted in correctly now that the season is about 3/4 through-ish ... ahh the benefit of hindsight.

Took me forever to find Chicago on there lol weird logo

• Cheers 1