What are you listening to?

Coconuts

1 hour ago, Super19 said:

Go go go go @Ilunga, it's yo birthday!

Cheers brother

I have never heard that track before.

I do like some of 50 cents stuff.

Some rappers are truly wordsmiths. 

And as we know, words are the most powerful weapons of all.

" Learn to use words as weapons because they can be stronger than any fist "

Lauren Asher 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:24 AM, Rob Eh said:

The Sex Pistols covered that song.

Mate I listened to Sids version so many times.

Posters of him and  Nancy and the band all over my Walls.

I still have them.

Off my face, driving fast cars, stating live fast die young and make a good looking corpse.

Fuckin 30 !

Who wants to live to 30 man, that's ancient !

Got to 30 and I was like man, I wanna live forever..... 

Another great band from that era, the UK Subs, this album had one of the best covers ever,  Endangered Species 

• Like 1

Up until 2 day ago my life was so dark, for months I never smiled for more than a few hours at a time...

Sitting looking at pictures of my son crying....

Then I dragged my old ass out of the darkness, went and watched some hockey, saw my all time favourite band perform their last gig ever in this country, they are calling it quits after 40 years.

Friends have been calling me days, my face is almost sore from smiling  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

For D with thanks and gratitude for being here with us ....may the warmth of the sun and love always be wrapped around you.. ❤️

Thank you so much my friend.

All day I have had calls from friends, some really nice words/thoughts from friends here in our community 

I know you love this song as much as I do, it touches our souls 

This is for you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Mate I listened to Sids version so many times.

Posters of him and  Nancy and the band all over my Walls.

I still have them.

Off my face, driving fast cars, stating live fast die young and make a good looking corpse.

Fuckin 30 !

Who wants to live to 30 man, that's ancient !

Got to 30 and I was like man, I wanna live forever..... 

Another great band from that era, the UK Subs, this album had one of the best covers ever,  Endangered Species 

I had a UK subs record when i was a teenager. They were called the Subhumans but one of the members moved to Vancouver and started another band that cut an album, that's why they call them the UK Subs now. I knew a guy that played bass for them and he also filled in for DOA's bass player when he broke his wrist and couldn't perform for months. The Subhumans lead singer was convicted as part of the Squamish 5, the crazy nutters got caught trying to blow up a military installation. He's probably still in prison.

I had another friend (JB, RIP) that knew D.O.A. and the Dayglow Abortions. He lived in the same apartment building as Randy Rampage (original DOA bassist, i believe) He was in a metal band called Annihilator, they were cutting their first album around that time. Their girlfriends were sisters, i got really drunk there when i'd visit from island. 

JB was roommates Merrick, the guy on this cover. Merrick was a legend because he was in one of the first punk bands in Canada called the BFG's or Bunch of Fucking Goofs. He was the bassist for Lummox, a band with Murray singer/lead guitarist from the original Dayglow Abortions. I remember CBC did an expose on the punk scene early 80's in Toronto and the BFG's were the focal point of it.  Thats him on the cover.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I had a UK subs record when i was a teenager. They were called the Subhumans but one of the members moved to Vancouver and started another band that cut an album, that's why they call them the UK Subs now. I knew a guy that played bass for them and he also filled in for DOA's bass player when he broke his wrist and couldn't perform for months. The Subhumans lead singer was convicted as part of the Squamish 5, the crazy nutters got caught trying to blow up a military installation. He's probably still in prison.

I had another friend (JB, RIP) that knew D.O.A. and the Dayglow Abortions. He lived in the same apartment building as Randy Rampage (original DOA bassist, i believe) He was in a metal band called Annihilator, they were cutting their first album around that time. Their girlfriends were sisters, i got really drunk there when i'd visit from island. 

JB was roommates Merrick, the guy on this cover. Merrick was a legend because he was in one of the first punk bands in Canada called the BFG's or Bunch of Fucking Goofs. He was the bassist for Lummox, a band with Murray singer/lead guitarist from the original Dayglow Abortions. I remember CBC did an expose on the punk scene early 80's in Toronto and the BFG's were the focal point of it.  Thats him on the cover.

That's quite a punk rock history of Canada you are posting about there. 

I know all of those bands and are Cognizant of the history of punk rock in Canada however you sound like you have a real personal connection to it.

I am a little bit confused by your reference about the UK Subs being called the Subhumans.

They are an English band, originally called The Marauders, then later the Subversives, then changing it to the UK Subs.

They do have over 30 past members.

I only learnt on Saturday night that Lars Frederiksen, well known as a member of Rancid amongst other bands, actually played for the UK Subs at one point. 

Speaking of Lars, one his side projects I really love is his band Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards 

Have you ever watched the doco series Punk produced by Iggy Pop and John Varvatos ?

If you are into punk rock music it is must see viewing.

Going back to the really early days of punk, not many people know about Afro-American punk bands, these guys formed in 1971

Then there are there are the Bad Brains that formed in 1977.

These are so good, the lead singer used to throw backflips on stage 

• Upvote 1