What are you listening to?

Coconuts

18 hours ago, Ilunga said:

That's quite a punk rock history of Canada you are posting about there. 

I know all of those bands and are Cognizant of the history of punk rock in Canada however you sound like you have a real personal connection to it.

I am a little bit confused by your reference about the UK Subs being called the Subhumans.

They are an English band, originally called The Marauders, then later the Subversives, then changing it to the UK Subs.

They do have over 30 past members.

I only learnt on Saturday night that Lars Frederiksen, well known as a member of Rancid amongst other bands, actually played for the UK Subs at one point. 

Speaking of Lars, one his side projects I really love is his band Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards 

Have you ever watched the doco series Punk produced by Iggy Pop and John Varvatos ?

If you are into punk rock music it is must see viewing.

Going back to the really early days of punk, not many people know about Afro-American punk bands, these guys formed in 1971

Then there are there are the Bad Brains that formed in 1977.

These are so good, the lead singer used to throw backflips on stage 

Someone told me that about the Subs, i think i got the bands mixed up or something. It was at least 35 years ago that i met a guy that said he played with them.

The other stories are first hand ones, i got quite a few. I was a 15 year old punk rocker, there were about 100 or so in Nanaimo at the time, around '85.

One night about 8 of us went to Death Metal show in Victoria.. We had no idea that they hated punks but we should have got the picture when a bunch of Victoria punks said they wanted to get into a brawl and wanted us to back them up. Guess what, They never showed up and got out asses kicked and chased out of town. We got in the van and stayed quite, we could hear them looking for us, they had baseball bats.  

Then, the same night, we get back to Nanaimo and we walked straight into a punk hunt. We had no idea they were fixing to go on a punk hunt and we walked right into it.

This guy, Chicken Arms Jeff (he had muscular dystrophy but had prosthetic handles on the steering wheel.) dropped us of and left, we thought it was just another street party in Nanaimo. We ran and they got me and another guy. They laid the boots to us back it wasn't too bad. They had to get their shots in though to look bad. I had a black eye and some bruised ribs, Took two beatings in the same night, one in Victoria, one in Nanaimo. The next day i shaved off the mohawk.

Another time a drunk guy came out of Queens and put his cigarette out on my friends bald head. We began laughing about it but he started punching us in the head. We were 15 year olds. That was a tough, self inflicted upbringing.,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Someone told me that about the Subs, i think i got the bands mixed up or something. It was at least 35 years ago that i met a guy that said he played with them.

The other stories are first hand ones, i got quite a few. I was a 15 year old punk rocker, there were about 100 or so in Nanaimo at the time, around '85.

One night about 8 of us went to Death Metal show in Victoria.. We had no idea that they hated punks but we should have got the picture when a bunch of Victoria punks said they wanted to get into a brawl and wanted us to back them up. Guess what, They never showed up and got out asses kicked and chased out of town. We got in the van and stayed quite, we could hear them looking for us, they had baseball bats.  

Then, the same night, we get back to Nanaimo and we walked straight into a punk hunt. We had no idea they were fixing to go on a punk hunt and we walked right into it.

This guy, Chicken Arms Jeff (he had muscular dystrophy but had prosthetic handles on the steering wheel.) dropped us of and left, we thought it was just another street party in Nanaimo. We ran and they got me and another guy. They laid the boots to us back it wasn't too bad. They had to get their shots in though to look bad. I had a black eye and some bruised ribs, Took two beatings in the same night, one in Victoria, one in Nanaimo. The next day i shaved off the mohawk.

Another time a drunk guy came out of Queens and put his cigarette out on my friends bald head. We began laughing about it but he started punching us in the head. We were 15 year olds. That was a tough, self inflicted upbringing.,

Yeah I made some poor choices after I left school.

Just wanted to be part of a crew, had issues from being told I was adopted.

We did some pretty heavy shit.

Punchin on with racist skinheads and bikers. 

Was told I have had an interesting life and friends I worked with at Mt.Hotham media wanted to document it.

This is me 

Have you read NOFX's autobiography, The Hepatitis Bathtub and other Stories.

I never realised how violent the Punk scene was in southern cali until I read this book.

Must read if you are into punk.

All these other things have come and gone in my life, riding and racing dirt bikes, nearly 20 years of skiing bumming, riding and racing downhill MTB.

Punk rock has been their since the beginning.

I bought Never mind the Bollocks here Come the Sex Pistols in 1977, I am looking at it now, it is up in my bookcase in the lounge room.

60 years later still punkin on.

Couple of bucket list punk gigs in the last year were seeing the Circle Jerks last year, they had never toured Aus ever before.

Then a couple of weeks ago OFF, Keith Morris's (circle Jerks) band played the corner hotel. 

Both gigs were fuckin awesome.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Yeah I made some poor choices after I left school.

Just wanted to be part of a crew, had issues from being told I was adopted.

We did some pretty heavy shit.

Punchin on with racist skinheads and bikers. 

Was told I have had an interesting life and friends I worked with at Mt.Hotham media wanted to document it.

This is me 

Have you read NOFX's autobiography, The Hepatitis Bathtub and other Stories.

I never realised how violent the Punk scene was in southern cali until I read this book.

Must read if you are into punk.

All these other things have come and gone in my life, riding and racing dirt bikes, nearly 20 years of skiing bumming, riding and racing downhill MTB.

Punk rock has been their since the beginning.

I bought Never mind the Bollocks here Come the Sex Pistols in 1977, I am looking at it now, it is up in my bookcase in the lounge room.

60 years later still punkin on.

Couple of bucket list punk gigs in the last year were seeing the Circle Jerks last year, they had never toured Aus ever before.

Then a couple of weeks ago OFF, Keith Morris's (circle Jerks) band played the corner hotel. 

Both gigs were fuckin awesome.

Thats awesome, you are a little older than me so you remember punk right from the beginning. I didn't even know what it was till the mid 80's. Everything used to come to our island ten years after it's popular every where else. lol

My friend JB, who was close friends with Merrick was also a really good friend of Chris Walter, who had wrote a book on the punk scene in Vancouver. It sold well and they dubbed him the Hunter S Thompson of punk. He started a publishing company called Go Fuck Yerself press and has multiple books released now.

My childhood friend, JB is in some of the antics in that book, no doubt. One night JB got drunk, climbed the lion statue outside the Art Gallery and fell off and knocked himself out cold. 

I had been to his place in Vancouver with JB. I knew JB since i was 5, he was one of my closest friends, RIP John.

http://punkbooks.com/news.html

I also added your friend to our white noise playlists. The incredible Nicky Bomba. I segued all the selections for these playlists, i hope people are checking them out. 

Right after Punk i discovered Frank Zappa that led me to Jazz and improvisational music. From There i became obsessed with some of the great filmscore composers such as Enio Morricone and Vangelis. I listen to all sorts of genres now.

Nicky Bomba is track 74. 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Thats awesome, you are a little older than me so you remember punk right from the beginning. I didn't even know what it was till the mid 80's. Everything used to come to our island ten years after it's popular every where else. lol

My friend JB, who was close friends with Merrick was also a really good friend of Chris Walter, who had wrote a book on the punk scene in Vancouver. It sold well and they dubbed him the Hunter S Thompson of punk. He started a publishing company called Go Fuck Yerself press and has multiple books released now.

My childhood friend, JB is in some of the antics in that book, no doubt. One night JB got drunk, climbed the lion statue outside the Art Gallery and fell off and knocked himself out cold. 

I had been to his place in Vancouver with JB. I knew JB since i was 5, he was one of my closest friends, RIP John.

http://punkbooks.com/news.html

I also added your friend to our white noise playlists. The incredible Nicky Bomba. I segued all the selections for these playlists, i hope people are checking them out. 

Right after Punk i discovered Frank Zappa that led me to Jazz and improvisational music. From There i became obsessed with some of the great filmscore composers such as Enio Morricone and Vangelis. I listen to all sorts of genres now.

Nicky Bomba is track 74. 

We are truly Brothers.

I absolutely love the Toy dolls, and that track is one of my favourite songs. 

Nicky is a total gentle man, such a nice, humble person. 

Such a talented percussionist. 

Thanks for informing me about that book, I will try and hunt up a copy.

One of my favourite all time records is Joes garage by Zappa, the story of a garage band that becomes big in a society where music is illegal. 

The title song, catholic girls, crew slut, wet t-shirt night etc. 

Fuckin classic  

Just about every band probably started like this 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ilunga said:

We are truly Brothers.

I absolutely love the Toy dolls, and that track is one of my favourite songs. 

Nicky is a total gentle man, such a nice, humble person. 

Such a talented percussionist. 

Thanks for informing me about that book, I will try and hunt up a copy.

One of my favourite all time records is Joes garage by Zappa, the story of a garage band that becomes big in a society where music is illegal. 

The title song, catholic girls, crew slut, wet t-shirt night etc. 

Fuckin classic  

Just about every band probably started like this 

An absolute classic, my brother.

Back to the other post, i meant to respond more to but busy at work the last few days. I will watch that documentary when i get a chance and i had a Bad Brains cassette, they were awesome. I always thought they were from Jamaica.

These are some local guys that went to high school here, mid isle, that had an album and video come out back in the 90's. 

Don't do it, kids.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

An absolute classic, my brother.

Back to the other post, i meant to respond more to but busy at work the last few days. I will watch that documentary when i get a chance and i had a Bad Brains cassette, they were awesome. I always thought they were from Jamaica.

These are some local guys that went to high school here, mid isle, that had an album and video come out back in the 90's. 

Don't do it, kids.

Love the double bass. 

Dig the change of tempo in that track.

These guys rock a double bass 

This track is kinda punky 

This is more poppy but still good 

And it is so true... 

Nothing lasts forever.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Love the double bass. 

Dig the change of tempo in that track.

These guys rock a double bass 

This track is kinda punky 

This is more poppy but still good 

And it is so true... 

Nothing lasts forever.....

I like it. I like the variety of this thread.

Around 2000 i heard the turntable groups the X-Cutioners (X-Men) and Invisible Scratch Pickles. I had a video tape with the two groups performing  live.

I was blown away, it caught my imagination, i also liked some of the hip hop around that time. There was no internet, so i used to make my own mix tapes by recording from a great old CBC show called Brave New Waves and some hip hop shows. 

I didn't have the technic 1200's i just had old modified ones. They'd skip and i'd have to improvise around that.

I also had a weird cut style because the Radio Shack mixer i had, had a horrible fader, It was ok for beat juggling but horrible for transforming (scratching) so i used the channel switch to do that and had a unique technique. 

I saved some of it, this is 20 years ago. I haven't done any turntable stuff other remix old sfuff since then.

Edited by Rob Eh
  • Like 1