What are you listening to?

Coconuts

30 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I like it. I like the variety of this thread.

Around 2000 i heard the turntable groups the X-Cutioners (X-Men) and Invisible Scratch Pickles. I had a video tape with the two groups performing  live.

I was blown away, it caught my imagination, i also liked some of the hip hop around that time. There was no internet, so i used to make my own mix tapes by recording from a great old CBC show called Brave New Waves and some hip hop shows. 

I didn't have the technic 1200's i just had old modified ones. They'd skip and i'd have to improvise around that.

I also had a weird cut style because the Radio Shack mixer i had, had a horrible fader, It was ok for beat juggling but horrible for transforming (scratching) so i used the channel switch to do that and had a unique technique. 

I saved some of it, this is 20 years ago. I haven't done any turntable stuff other remix old sfuff since then.

Brother you are very creative. 

I couldn't play an instrument to save my life.

I was the lead singer in a couple of bands that were just locals, few pub gigs around the hills here.

Nothing special.

Wrote some songs.

Then up at my home Mountain, My.Hotham we had a band we would put together each season made up of local ski bums.

Again lead singer, playing mostly covers of current punk songs.

Wrote a few songs. 

So much fun, riding/skiiing every day, hanging out writing and playing music some nights.

Good times..... 

The lift company tried to shut us down, long story, so one cover we did was kill all the white men by NOFX.

I changed two words, from white men, to lift company.

The song starts slow, I was dressed in old 70's opp clothes and when the tempo changed I would strip down to my boxers and howl , 

KILL ALL THE LIFT COMPANY

They stated I looked like Henry Rollins on speed. 

So 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 11:36 PM, Ilunga said:

Yeah I made some poor choices after I left school.

Just wanted to be part of a crew, had issues from being told I was adopted.

We did some pretty heavy shit.

Punchin on with racist skinheads and bikers. 

Was told I have had an interesting life and friends I worked with at Mt.Hotham media wanted to document it.

This is me 

Have you read NOFX's autobiography, The Hepatitis Bathtub and other Stories.

I never realised how violent the Punk scene was in southern cali until I read this book.

Must read if you are into punk.

All these other things have come and gone in my life, riding and racing dirt bikes, nearly 20 years of skiing bumming, riding and racing downhill MTB.

Punk rock has been their since the beginning.

I bought Never mind the Bollocks here Come the Sex Pistols in 1977, I am looking at it now, it is up in my bookcase in the lounge room.

60 years later still punkin on.

Couple of bucket list punk gigs in the last year were seeing the Circle Jerks last year, they had never toured Aus ever before.

Then a couple of weeks ago OFF, Keith Morris's (circle Jerks) band played the corner hotel. 

Both gigs were fuckin awesome.

When you posted this, i didn't get a chance to watch it, i had to fly.

Now that i've seen it, i'm blown away at how much you remind me if a old friend who called himself an adrenaline junky and he was.

He was an avid skier, loved powder. Bought those Powder magazines. He liked Trevor Peterson, who died hell skiing.

I never did ski but i'd mountain bike with him in the summer and man, did he ever whip me into shape, trying to keep up to him.

We'd go on epic rides and do two laps on a 11..5 downhill single track and polished off many, many bottles of alcohol. 

I'm blown away that you were shot, rough up bringing. but a very interesting story.

My older brother was also shot when he was 15. Luckily it hit him in shoulder  a few years after that though, he was presumed dead, escaping from a mid security prison on Vancouver Island.

He was always in trouble growing up, always in Juvenile detention, he had a thieving streak to him and they got him on about 25 counts of B n E  and auto theft.

So he went to to prison at 18. That was the last time we saw him, visiting there. just before my punk days. 

One day i was at my aunt and uncle's and a news flash comes on the TV, Two inmates attempted to escape from a penitentiary on the Southern most tip of Vancouver Island and my brothers mug shot comes on the TV.

When he was shot, he broke into a gun store without realizing the owner lived up stairs. The oner said that kid was lucky because he was aiming to kill.

That was also on the news. I never did any break and enter or thefts myself after seeing that happen.

Edited by Rob Eh
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

When you posted this, i didn't get a chance to watch it, i had to fly.

Now that i've seen it, i'm blown away at how much you remind me if a old friend who called himself an adrenaline junky and he was.

He was an avid skier, loved powder. Bought those Powder magazines. He liked Trevor Peterson, who died hell skiing.

I never did ski but i'd mountain bike with him in the summer and man, did he ever whip me into shape, trying to keep up to him.

We'd go on epic rides and do two laps on a 11..5 downhill single track and polished off many, many bottles of alcohol and beer. 

I'm blown away that were shot, rough up bringing. but s very interesting story.

My older brother was also shot when he was 15. Luckily it hit him in shoulder  a few years after that though, he was presumed dead, escaping from a mid security prison on Vancouver Island.

He was always in trouble growing up, always in Juvenile detention, he had a thieving streak to him and they got him on about 25 counts of B n E  and auto theft.

So he went to to prism at 18. That was the last time we saw him, visiting there. just before my punk days. 

One day i was at my aunt and uncle's and a news flash comes on the TV, Two inmates attempted to escape from a penitentiary on the Southern most tip of Vancouver Island and my brothers mug shot comes on the TV.

When he was shot, he broke into a gun store without realizing the owner lived up stairs. The oner said that kid was lucky because he was aiming to kill.

That was also on the news. I never did any break and enter or thefts myself but i did love weed.

I had, still have, shitloads of videos of Trevor skiing with Eric Pehota ripping wild lines for RAP , Real Actions Pictures.

Those guys were heroes of mine. I know some guys that skied with Trevor and said he was an awesome person.

I would have loved to have met him.

I probably would have if he hadn't of died in that Avalanche. 

I am really sorry to hear about your brother.

The blows life deals us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Brother you are very creative. 

I couldn't play an instrument to save my life.

I was the lead singer in a couple of bands that were just locals, few pub gigs around the hills here.

Nothing special.

Wrote some songs.

Then up at my home Mountain, My.Hotham we had a band we would put together each season made up of local ski bums.

Again lead singer, playing mostly covers of current punk songs.

Wrote a few songs. 

So much fun, riding/skiiing every day, hanging out writing and playing music some nights.

Good times..... 

The lift company tried to shut us down, long story, so one cover we did was kill all the white men by NOFX.

I changed two words, from white men, to lift company.

The song starts slow, I was dressed in old 70's opp clothes and when the tempo changed I would strip down to my boxers and howl , 

KILL ALL THE LIFT COMPANY

They stated I looked like Henry Rollins on speed. 

So 

That is wild. DOA had a Reggae connection too. The first album i had was DOA War On 45. 

Later i heard the original on Greensleeves records.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

That is wild. DOA had a Reggae connection too. The first album i had was DOA War On 45. 

Later i heard the original on Greensleeves records.

Love me some DOA 

Being a hockey board  

As for the reggae connection, it was when El Hefe, Aaron Abeyta joined NOFX just before White Trash two heebs and Bean, that NOFX added that " wind " sound to their music.

He plays the trombone and the trumpet.

When he joined Fat Mike stated he was the only real musician in the band.

One of NOFX'S most moving songs is Mike's tribute to his close friend Tony Sly, lead singer/ songwriter of No Use for a Name.

Amongst other things he talks about his and Tony daughters arguing about whose dad's songs are better.

He helped raise Tony's daughter after he died.

A couple of my friends have done, and are doing this. 

Such an emotional song for me 

• Like 2