What are you listening to?

Coconuts

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

This is my favourite from that one. I'm so moody.

Love that one too! Love the whole album really, but my favourite is the opening track, Everything In Its Right Place. I thought I was tripping when I first heard it haha. 

• Like 1

This entire album. It's both painfully emotional to listen to, but I also love it. I became kind of friendly with Matt and some of his friends/family back then and we got a glimpse of it before it was released.

I was going through a devastating period of my life....single mom of 2 kids. Working 3 jobs to hold it together. Brother was completely a mess and I was scared I'd lose him to drugs. Then the kicker....mom was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and was slipping away. Dad had cancer too. I was rushing from the chemo ward to palliative. I was isolated, terrified and just plowing through. All alone. Putting on a brave face for my kids, but it was incredibly tough. My house flooded, top to bottom. That was just how things were rolling for me/us.

Completely gutted and this album hit me to my core. It felt like the songs were written about my life.

Champions of Nothing went hand in hand with a night my ex was phoning me, drunk and abusive. He was with his new girl and I was....in distress. Not over him, but he really twisted the knife that night. I heard her in the background feeding him crap about not having to pay me child support. I said "put her on the phone". And I calmly told her what was up. I was numb at that point. Don't f with me stuff. It was so much bigger than him/her and I just didn't have the time, energy or desire to engage with them. I hung up and the phone kept ringing....

It was the first time I heard that song. The intro, especially...as the phone rang and I'd answer, say nothing, hang up. Rinse/repeat. Until he finally quit. I was sitting in the dark, tears streaming down my face. I was so disconnected from the sh they were flinging at me. Just. Leave. Me. Alone.

We had kids together, so I tried to be civilized and maintain a relationship. But he was with someone who was fueling his hair finger trigger stuff and he pointed it at me. 

Very personal stuff, but I've learned that it's my story to tell and it helps me to do so. For a long time, I just kept everything "in". I'm proud of how I've navigated my life and that's my takeaway.

"Weird here is normal, weird here it the extreme somewhere else. Come in here and watch the death, love is a strong word...I hate you"

"Try again"

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

That is my favourite Matt Good album!

So good, right!

I'm listening to it in its entirety.....the whole thing is so good. Not a bad track on it.

I also really love Avalanche (album)...comes in a very close second for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Love that one too! Love the whole album really, but my favourite is the opening track, Everything In Its Right Place. I thought I was tripping when I first heard it haha. 

I had a hard time deciding between that (Everything In Its Right Place) and How To Disappear Completely.

Yep.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

My sister and I absolutely LOVE this song. We played hooky from work at the Lodge one afternoon, took the water taxi out (hers and bro-in-law's other business) to sneak in some fishing time by ourselves. A couple of hard lemonades, and Duke of Earl came on so we're dancing on the deck at the back of the boat...fishing rods in hand, singing away...my sister hooks bottom...looses hook.... Now that particular summer, these special lures were catching all the fish....they were in VERY short supply so her husband kept them locked in a vault, basically. We had absconded with a couple of extras, just in case. Anyway, she sits down...Duke of Earl is on repeat...we're still singin' away....she ties on this rare and valuable lure...hucks it overboard... only to discover that she hadn't actually tied it on, AT ALL. OMG, we laughed... and laughed some more...Gene Chandler singin'... so rinse and repeat...another lure...the last one we had except on MY line.... laughing our asses off still....and it ended up going overboard as well...unattached. Needless to say... the afternoon ended up being more about Duke of Earl and the VERY MYSTERIOUS mystery of the missing lures....and a lack of snapper on the table at dinner for the guests! Duke of Earl makes me laugh EVERY time I hear it. I

I shall now be quiet and take myself to the door! 🙃

• Cheers 2