What are you listening to?

Coconuts

23 hours ago, Ilunga said:

The same thing happened to my oldest, dearest friend.

His ex used to hit, verbally abuse him.

Ran him over with her car.

Had so many " affairs "

He bought a house 25 years ago, her name went on the title as well.

Six months later she pissed off with another guy, leaving him to raise not just their three kids, also a daughter she had to another man.

Nearly 20 years later she came at him to try and get a huge chunk of the capital gain on the house.

At one stage he did offer her $250,000 just to make it go away.

She demanded $400,000.

To put that into perspective he paid $160,000 when he bought it.

House prices exploding and subdivision laws increased the value of his land and home a lot.

A few months later his lawyer found an obscure law, if a person's name that is on the title hasn't contributed to the mortgage for 15 years then they aren't entitled to a cent.

Bottom line he could have fought it for another one- two years and not paid a cent, however he was so disillusioned he settled for $100,000.

What was even worse was she was accusing him of doing the things  she did, having affairs, being abusive.

He is the second best man I have ever known, my father was the best.

Both so kind, gentle and humble.

She wrote abusive letters to their kids because the boys refused to see her.

It was all so fucked up.

I hope all goes well for you.

And I hope you don't have to give that fucker a cent.

My mother was an incredible person.

She was a draughts woman in the 50's when not many women had " professional " jobs.

She gave up her job to build up the family farm.

Both my parents worked long hard days on the farm after dad quit his job as an aircraft design engineer.

However when they came in from working on the farm, mum worked another 4-6 hours looking after us and the house. 

She was highly intelligent, compassionate, everything that is good in a person.

If I can be half the person she was, I will have done a fantastic job of being a person.

This song left a deep impression on me when I was a kid.

Things were different for women back then.

Thanks my friend, this really means a lot. It certainly can go both ways and I'm so sorry your friend went through that.

I wish we had a law like that here (15 years). I've got all the receipts - 2.5 banker's boxes full, all in chronological order. I paid everything (mortgage, taxes, special levies, maintenance). It's just senseless to me to think he's entitled to anything. I put his name on the title...that was my big mistake and my Dad tried to warn me not to. I didn't listen. But before we got together I had $35,000 or so in assets that went into the purchase of this place. So dumb.

But...I got my two kids so that's worth all the money in the world. 

Thanks for sharing, it really helps.

• Huggy Bear 2