What happened with Lowry and Di Giuseppe is why we need more size on the 4th line

-Buzzsaw-

Caveat should be that it shouldn't just be for 4th line players, but rather sprinkled throughout the lineup.  If we could toss a couple of 3rds or average assets and get say McBain and Greenway that would be a great way to toughen up the lineup and add balance.

McBain - Lindholm - Petey
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Greenway - Aman - Lafferty/ Mikheyev?

We'll see what they do, cant have everything under the constraints of the salary cap though

Every team in the league wants big, tough players who can actually contribute a multifaceted game and not just fists

18 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Make no mistake, what we saw happen when 6' 5" Lowry started to run around is exactly what will happen in the playoffs.

Give Di Giuseppe credit, he stood up for his team mate, but without the size, it was a beat down.

Canucks do not have enough size on the 4th line, team needs a big winger who can be physical and who can fight.... also needs speed... no slowpokes.

We don't need to pay a lot for a goalscorer, the team has enough scoring, but we need to add toughness and size in a forward.

This is not just to help out the 4th line, it is because during the playoffs, when things get rough, a big body may be needed on Pettersson's line to prevent cheapshots.

Team has good size on the D, but the forwards are generally undersized, Miller's line excepted... both he and Boeser are good size and can't really be bullied.

Should not give up the farm for this... just a journeyman who has size and speed and likes to fight.

A couple of weeks ago I started having similar thoughts, how and what we should add to the roster in order to be more competitive in the playoffs.

Tweaking the roster. No major surgery. Just adding a couple of fringe players, preferably ones that would be going UFA in the summer.

I still remember the bubble playoffs and us playing Las Vegas.

Reaves was making chicken clucking noises, knowing that we would have no response to him. It was just pure intimidation and an attempt to get under the skin of the Canucks.

Carrier was running around doing his best  Ferland  impersonation. 

Tuch, who is big and fast, was dumping the puck into the right-hand corner and wreaking havoc with our smaller defenseman. They were unable to handle him. Myers was either injured or suspended for about three games, I can't remember which.

We can probably benefit from a couple of roster additions. One large winger on the 4th line and maybe a couple of large older journeyman players that we can place on the Abbotsford roster without having to go through waivers.

One such 4th line player that I had my sights on was Michael McCarron. Large, decent speed and very tough. He is averaging just under 12 minutes a night for the Preds.

Unfortunately the Preds extended him two days ago for another 2 years at an AAV $900,000. 

This signals that the Preds have plans for him.

Perhaps we could still acquire him.

12 hours ago, Artemus said:

A couple of weeks ago I started having similar thoughts, how and what we should add to the roster in order to be more competitive in the playoffs.

Tweaking the roster. No major surgery. Just adding a couple of fringe players, preferably ones that would be going UFA in the summer.

I still remember the bubble playoffs and us playing Las Vegas.

Reaves was making chicken clucking noises, knowing that we would have no response to him. It was just pure intimidation and an attempt to get under the skin of the Canucks.

Carrier was running around doing his best  Ferland  impersonation. 

Tuch, who is big and fast, was dumping the puck into the right-hand corner and wreaking havoc with our smaller defenseman. They were unable to handle him. Myers was either injured or suspended for about three games, I can't remember which.

We can probably benefit from a couple of roster additions. One large winger on the 4th line and maybe a couple of large older journeyman players that we can place on the Abbotsford roster without having to go through waivers.

One such 4th line player that I had my sights on was Michael McCarron. Large, decent speed and very tough. He is averaging just under 12 minutes a night for the Preds.

Unfortunately the Preds extended him two days ago for another 2 years at an AAV $900,000. 

This signals that the Preds have plans for him.

Perhaps we could still acquire him.

Yep they targeted Stecther and QHs.   Both guys and basically took them out of the series.   QHs had one rush, one, that I re-call past the mid way point.   The puck became a hot potatoe, and our forwards also shared the same fear of it.    The five man box, was like the bully had you on the ground, and covering your head and vitals with the fetal position.    Edler was too slow, but a couple times managed some decent net front work.    Pearson and Toffoli, these'd supposed (not to me) "tough" playoff "warriors" were ghosts.   Brock at least would take a hit to make a pass (intentionally or not).     Myers, Motte and Demko, were the only players who seemed not to be phased by Vegas.    Horvat.   EP.    Wasn't as a happy time, as it was defeating St.Louis.   Also think that the grind was catching up as well.   QHs was targeted in MIN too.  Same as EP..

We've got a couple more Myers plus guys now.   That's great.    Forward group, it's the same though.    Just needs its own tough large man.   

Edit:  At least Vegas doesn't have Tuch and Patches (a younger one) anymore. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1