[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

Just now, Hockey God said:

It's not the effort, it's the finish, and not necessarily in terms of scoring.  Over the last 10 games or so, I've noticed a trend:  some players are admiring what they or others are doing.  This is not a good sign.  It shows that there isn't total commitment, and that there may be some passengers on this team now.  I would point to Boeser as one potential candidate, and even EP40.     

I would cut them a bit of slack.  I get it.  It’s disappointing to lose and one can easily say, not again, losing to the Jets.  You can bet the management is aware of what we are missing if anything and may make a change before the TDL.  Despite the loss we are still tops in the league.  Let’s see what happens next few games vs the Jets, Bruins and GK’s.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

It takes experience to gain experience ... I am stoked for this team. Yes obvious holes need to be filled, hello PP are you listening, PA / JR will have a couple more moves up their sleeve with money out matching money in to upgrade on F and perhaps Tanev - who knows. Exciting times to be alive, even through I just about threw my Norlan Whiskey Glass with about 2.5 ounces of Dalmore 15 through the window ... exciting times still.

Fancy

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Our PK has been top 5 in the league the last two months.

Our powerplay on the other hand…

Those spots need to be earned and those guys aren’t earning it.

Personally I don't want to but would you take in Tanev if it was an option?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

Nothing to complain about, I thought we were the better team but we made the mistakes in the game. 

Let’s get them next time! 

And I’m going to the Boston game. Yay! 

At 4:00?

Had to do a double take on that one. Why is Boston being given an advantage when we’re the home team?

• MillerTime 1

Wow, that was NHL refereeing gone full-on nihilistic.  You could tell it was going to be bad when they didn't call the knee on Zadorov early on and then did call Myers for being too tall.  Not the reason we lost in the end, though. 

5 on 5 we were fine and generated enough to win the game.  But they defend a bit better than we do and that was decisive.

Our PP was dogshit.  Those guys are all pretty smart but they can't seem to adapt and problem solve.  If they included some bumper plays and generation from below the goal, they'd open up a lot more space higher up.  Endless passing on the periphery isn't cutting it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

We looked immature tonight.

Because they are. They aren't even one season removed from being the laughing stock of the NHL. They are still learning how to be a good team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks need to keep playing on the edge like they did.

Half those calls wouldn’t be penalties in the playoffs.

our team is the Canucks. It will be called on us.

Edited by Trebreh
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Lol I'm sorry, but can we stop just being negative for the sake of being negative? The team is in first in the whole league and loses a game due to poor special teams. Maybe best to pump the breaks and see how they react as a whole.

And what will be the next excuse when they next lose:  poor reffing, bad ice, bad coaching, poor game management ....  The season is basically three-quarters done, the players have got to man up.  You can't tell me that the coaches haven't been practicing special teams for most if not all of the practice time since the start of the season.  These players have got to put up now, and show they want to win.  I said in another topic that this is probably the end of the EP40 era in Vancouver, because he thinks highly of his value while the results don't show the same value on the ice.  Right now, management would be foolish to reward what he is doing.  I hope that the braintrust sees what I see, and makes a few more adjustments/additions.         

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I would cut them a bit of slack.  I get it.  It’s disappointing to lose and one can easily say, not again, losing to the Jets.  You can bet the management is aware of what we are missing if anything and may make a change before the TDL.  Despite the loss we are still tops in the league.  Let’s see what happens next few games vs the Jets, Bruins and GK’s.  

Cut them slack? When is the last time Boeser has scored? Or when Petey has scored an impact goal? It’s been so long. They can’t go on these long slumps at the same time and they are and have. Miller offensively has been pretty quiet lately.  That’s 3/6 of your top 6. We are missing a top 6. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

I didn't see his summation as negative at all. Totally fair. We've come up short vs Vegas, NJ, Boston, TO on HNIC Sat night and I think at least one other marquee matchup that I'm forgetting. Not the end of the world or necessarily a precursor to how we'll respond in a 7 game series against any of those teams but definitely something to keep an eye on as the real season approaches. We need our best to bring more when it really matters and, so far at least, they've been great 80% of the time but missing a bit of what makes the very best teams stand out from the herd under the brightest of lights.

Had you told me this would be the issue at this point when the season began I'd have been incredibly stoked to watch it all unfold. We're gonna keep getting better

I'd much rather our team struggle against the best teams now to get there act together, than just fall short in the playoffs. Our team was much better today than we were against Boston and Vegas, so at least they're getting better in my eyes.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Playoffs will be a good learning experience for our top lines, however we're doomed if we don't have good special teams 

Most of the core did perform well in the COVID cup.  

We'll have to wait and see if they still can play well this yr.   Plenty of games left to get better.  

Edited by Jaimito

1 minute ago, Hockey God said:

And what will be the next excuse when they next lose:  poor reffing, bad ice, bad coaching, poor game management ....  The season is basically three-quarters done, the players have got to man up.  You can't tell me that the coaches haven't been practicing special teams for most if not all of the practice time since the start of the season.  These players have got to put up now, and show they want to win.  I said in another topic that this is probably the end of the EP40 era in Vancouver, because he thinks highly of his value while the results don't show the same value on the ice.  Right now, management would be foolish to reward what he is doing.  I hope that the braintrust sees what I see, and makes a few more adjustments/additions.         

This is why I cut them some slack:

IMG_6736.png