[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

Yes, that looks nice, but I've seen the Canucks at #1 during the regular season before, and I'm still waiting for our first Stanley Cup to celebrate ... right now, the '94 team, warts and all, had more heart and soul than this team has, especially in the respective top 6s.  The '94 team may not have been able to outscore this version, but when they needed to, they manned up and laid everything on the ice.  That's what got them one goal post away from forcing overtime on the road in game 7 against the Rangers, and what this team lacks.     

This team has plenty of heart.  The '94 team lost games in the regular season too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well good news is Vegas lost so we keep our 12 point cushion on them.

I'm more worried about Oilers, they still have 5 games in hand. Of course it won't matter if we win more than we lose rest of the way 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

We need Petey to step up against the big teams in a big way.

Its all fun and games when he can collect points against the average to weaker teams, but can't get it done yet when we need him against the big teams.

He needs to show up. He shows up for a game or two and disappears again for the next few. His consistency is lacking. 

This matches the eye test 

lots of three point nights when the game is in the bag. Very little turning the tide against big, strong opposition AKA playoffs 

31 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

This was foreseeable, wasn't 4-0 as I predicted, but not surprised by the result.  Us fans can sugarcoat what they are getting, but the eye test as a more than 40 almost 50 year fan of hockey and this particular team tells me that this is an incomplete team against the best and the worst teams.  They play down to competition at times, and don't rise to the occasion against some top teams, as we have now seen against Boston and now Winnipeg.  They need a couple of leaders with heart, who play total hockey at all times, and who never take period or nights off.       

And before people say refs this and Juulson that and EP40 missing in action at times, good teams find ways to overcome this and still win.  Hell, make Tocchet a player coach, put him on the ice, and let him show the guys how they need to play.  They need that type of role model.  Hughes banging the boards in frustration or Miller yelling on the ice does not cut it, they need someone who grinds on every shift, who plays like his life is on the line, and will do anything to win.  The closest the Canucks have to that guy is behind the bench.  And I think that management knows this team doesn't have that killer instinct, which is why Phil the Thrill is getting a look.

Sometimes I wonder if we just don't have enough Canadians, who seem to me to play with more heart; more a Miller style. I think we have 2 active Canadians right now, while Winnipeg has 10 and Boston 9 or 10. No question we have a lot of talent, but hard working simple hockey by good teams make us look a little soft. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, van_can_fan said:

lots of three point nights when the game is in the bag. Very little turning the tide against big, strong opposition AKA playoffs 

Bo Horvat vibes... just more elite when he puts on a show against the weaker competition. 

1 minute ago, Hockey God said:

Yes, that looks nice, but I've seen the Canucks at #1 during the regular season before, and I'm still waiting for our first Stanley Cup to celebrate ... right now, the '94 team, warts and all, had more heart and soul than this team has, especially in the respective top 6s.  The '94 team may not have been able to outscore this version, but when they needed to, they manned up and laid everything on the ice.  That's what got them one goal post away from forcing overtime on the road in game 7 against the Rangers, and what this team lacks.     

No we don’t have a Linden.  Plus, the game is different now than in 94.  I will reserve judgement until I see this team and system in the playoffs.   I had a chat with Gary Monahan this afternoon (remember him?).  And he couldn’t stop gushing over this team.  I get the skepticism.  It comes from being a long time Canuck fan but I can’t project every loss they have for the rest of season as a sign of doom and gloom.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, van_can_fan said:

this has to be brought up in the contract negotiations in the summer.

3 minutes ago, GothamGhost said:

I don't think this team is ready for 4 rounds of playoffs. 

Need a few more tweaks. 

Well Soucy and Joshua being out definitely hurts in games like this. 

Both bring size and are great pkers.

Need one more big body top 6 to replace Suter though. That would also allow us to add offense to the 4th line.

• MillerTime 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

This team has plenty of heart.  The '94 team lost games in the regular season too.

Yes, the '94 team lost, and if I remember correctly, there were a few spankings that season, especially against the old Smythe Division teams, or Pacific (can't remember if they changed format by that time).  But, they almost always tried, and for me, when they made the playoffs, they just felt like a team that could do damage if things continued the way they were going, grindign and taking advanatge of opportunities, and look what happened.  This team needs the same process to happen now, because if it doesn't, they are ripe for an upset early in the playoffs.