[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

20 minutes ago, Screw said:

Jeasus man. Get get ahold of yourself.

The Canucks lost to a top team.  This will happen from time to time.

Demko and Hellebuck both can play lights out on any given night.  

If the Canucks PP clicked it would have been lopsided in the other direction.  

I think Vancouver were the better team 5 on 5.   Special teams  were the difference.

Yup any pp goals would probably have us the lead or up by two and game would be so different

please put Boeser front of net and jt up top again. I can’t stand watching petey and boes doing nothing with the puck side wall passing back up top to Quinn on pp. it isn’t working

• Like 1

Happy with the Canuck effort tonight against a good team that had been in a funk recently.  Seems like the Jets were clearly exploiting the 10-15ft zone in front of Demko as all 4 goals were scored that area - certainly the coaches will need to address the D coverage in that area moving forward in case some other teams will also exploit it now or in the playoffs (especially the Vegas + Kings)

The two late goals were were result of the D being a bit too over aggressive (2-2 transitioning to a 2-1 when two guys take on one player) - can't be doing that in the more critical games so might as well correct it now.  Also, the heavier hitting gave them a glimpse of what to expect in the playoffs (nice that it was before the TDL in case we need to get some additional personnel)

Overall, thought the team played well enough to win but PK and some costly D coverage resulted in the loss.  Also thought Hellebuyck was very good.  Not too upset at the loss - as we certainly can learn / clean up some things from tonight which will help them in upcoming games against some of the heavier teams like Vegas + Kings down the road. 

None the less, no complaints about their try tonight.  Hope the players get a good nights rest - correct a few things + re-focus for the Wild on Monday.

Just Win.jpg

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

I think if Pittsburgh is still 7-10 points out of a playoff spot at the trade deadline, you load the boat for Guentzel. Stick him with Petey and let Lindholm center Miller and Boeser. That's the top six you win with. 

Vancouver won't trade for him.

Pittsburgh will suck good assets out of Edmonton or elsewhere and move him.

28 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Happy with the Canuck effort tonight against a good team that had been in a funk recently.  Seems like the Jets were clearly exploiting the 10-15ft zone in front of Demko as all 4 goals were scored that area - certainly the coaches will need to address the D coverage in that area moving forward in case some other teams will also exploit it now or in the playoffs (especially the Vegas + Kings)

The two late goals were were result of the D being a bit too over aggressive (2-2 transitioning to a 2-1 when two guys take on one player) - can't be doing that in the more critical games so might as well correct it now.  Also, the heavier hitting gave them a glimpse of what to expect in the playoffs (nice that it was before the TDL in case we need to get some additional personnel)

Overall, thought the team played well enough to win but PK and some costly D coverage resulted in the loss.  Also thought Hellebuyck was very good.  Not too upset at the loss - as we certainly can learn / clean up some things from tonight which will help them in upcoming games against some of the heavier teams like Vegas + Kings down the road. 

None the less, no complaints about their try tonight.  Hope the players get a good nights rest - correct a few things + re-focus for the Wild on Monday.

Just Win.jpg

Back to Moral Victories

Happy Napoleon Dynamite GIF

2 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Oh.....I am playing Hughes on the right side on the PP and Hronek on the left side.

I am playing Lindholm in the middle bump position, with Pettersson on the left side, and Boeser on the righty side

All sticks to the center of the ice

You are taking Miller off of the power play?  

I would say we need more size and grit on the 4th line to compliment the rest of the lines.  Hoglander is not big, but plays much bigger than his size.  Miller is also a beast when he wants to be.  Joshua is a hitting machine and can drop the gloves too.  But PDG, Aman and Lafferty are pretty much useless right now.  Once Höglander was taken off the 4th line it has become a major weakness of the team. 

We need much more from the 4th line.  Jack McBain from Arizona would be a perfect addition to the 4th line.  He’s big, can hit, fight, kill penalties, can take faceoffs and can play centre or wing.  We will never get Crouse from Arizona but we should go hard after McBain.  He’s basically a Joshua clone, so we’d have two on the team instead of one.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

Canuck's fans seem to be forgetting that our team is no#1 in the league - EVERY team is going to play us hard to say they beat the no#1 team or catch us. It was only last year where teams didn't take the Canucks seriously, so it's not that we're playing badly it's that teams want to beat us more this year because of our ranking.

We actually dominated stretches of the game, but then took too many risks that led to the 3rd and 4th goals. It wasn't like those goals were because of a tip or a PP - they were both because players had over extended in the O zone and were slow to get back to the D zone. In both cases we had players far out of position and why? 

On the PP side, the Canucks kept trying for the perfect shot, when what they needed to score was to make it hard for Hellebuyck to see the puck - put guys in front.

The lesson is that a PP has to adapt to the team it's playing and recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the goalie. Why did we not do the same triangle that Winnipeg did and instead kept mostly passing around the perimeter. 

All the goals and all the points won't matter if we can't sort out our speciality teams.

• Like 1

Our intensity is way down. We had chances but gave up after the initial shot. When we're on our game we push for a second and third opportunity. 

PP is waning. Time to try Zad in front net front presence.  Or Myers. 

Aman is just too soft and protecting him cost us a lot today. Trade for a Martinook type already. Aman is to finesse for our 4th line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Canuck's fans seem to be forgetting that our team is no#1 in the league - EVERY team is going to play us hard to say they beat the no#1 team or catch us. It was only last year where teams didn't take the Canucks seriously, so it's not that we're playing badly it's that teams want to beat us more this year because of our ranking.

We actually dominated stretches of the game, but then took too many risks that led to the 3rd and 4th goals. It wasn't like those goals were because of a tip or a PP - they were both because players had over extended in the O zone and were slow to get back to the D zone. In both cases we had players far out of position and why? 

On the PP side, the Canucks kept trying for the perfect shot, when what they needed to score was to make it hard for Hellebuyck to see the puck - put guys in front.

The lesson is that a PP has to adapt to the team it's playing and recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the goalie. Why did we not do the same triangle that Winnipeg did and instead kept mostly passing around the perimeter. 

All the goals and all the points won't matter if we can't sort out our speciality teams.

Small bites

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would say we need more size and grit on the 4th line to compliment the rest of the lines.  Hoglander is not big, but plays much bigger than his size.  Miller is also a beast when he wants to be.  Joshua is a hitting machine and can drop the gloves too.  But PDG, Aman and Lafferty are pretty much useless right now.  Once Höglander was taken off the 4th line it has become a major weakness of the team. 

We need much more from the 4th line.  Jack McBain from Arizona would be a perfect addition to the 4th line.  He’s big, can hit, fight, kill penalties, can take faceoffs and can play centre or wing.  We will never get Crouse from Arizona but we should go hard after McBain.  He’s basically a Joshua clone, so we’d have two on the team instead of one.

Great post, I'm not a Simpson's guy but reminds me of something. 4th line, they're not bad but you're right come playoff time they won't resonate. Need more size although heck the Jets are pretty good.

We just need to get better. Podkolzin?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, ngoway said:

Lol I'm sorry, but can we stop just being negative for the sake of being negative? The team is in first in the whole league and loses a game due to poor special teams. Maybe best to pump the breaks and see how they react as a whole.

I thought this was an amazing game. Guys played hard and physical. 

Canucks had the edge in play until middle of the 3rd.

Couple bad penalties. Poor special teams and a couple mistakes by Juulsen resulted in the loss. 

Would have loved to see more out of the top 6 in terms of scoring but the effort and physical play was definitely there and the game was super entertaining. 

Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just one game so no worries at the end of the day. But we obviously need the PP to start clicking asap.

I do feel like the lines are not clicking either this way. With Joshua out we had no line working really properly tonight.

Boeser and Miller duo not working with Suter. Lindholm still trying to figure out what to do on the Pettersson line, 3rd obviously missing Joshua, and the fourth still not quite solid enough.

I personally don’t see Suter being a fit in the top 6 at this time. I’d have him center the fourth line. He has been productive in the bottom 6 as well.

20 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Our intensity is way down. We had chances but gave up after the initial shot. When we're on our game we push for a second and third opportunity. 

PP is waning. Time to try Zad in front net front presence.  Or Myers. 

Aman is just too soft and protecting him cost us a lot today. Trade for a Martinook type already. Aman is to finesse for our 4th line.

PP is a big thing. You don't have to force teams to give you them but when they do you have to capitalize, or it demoralizes you're effort.

The intensity is down but that's okay to a degree. We need to be able to pick it up when it counts though and it starts now. 

First the Bruins, now the Jets. Pressure is coming. We beat the Wings who killed it again.  I'm almost okay we lost this one. 

Final Countdown GIF

Okay, too intense.

Think Give Up GIF by Boomerang Official

Influx Site Launch GIF by Influx Marketing

Martinook is awesome but Carolina ain't giving him up. Sammy Blais or Brandon Said would be good heavy players but I doubt they give them up. Otherwise we got to keep up the belief that Aman and Lafferty can do it. If not what hope do we have ... Klim Kostin would be great but then again Detroit is doing well too.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Screw said:

Jeasus man. Get get ahold of yourself.

The Canucks lost to a top team.  This will happen from time to time.

Demko and Hellebuck both can play lights out on any given night.  

If the Canucks PP clicked it would have been lopsided in the other direction.  

I think Vancouver were the better team 5 on 5.   Special teams  were the difference.

I don't think you should be that dismissive.  This felt like a playoff loss.  Certainly not one the team can't bounce back from... but an intense, physical battle in which we got stuffed by elite goaltending and untimely goals.  It stings that we have a relatively poor season record against some of the juggernauts (ie. NYR, COL, VGK, BOS, WPG).  Every playoff team is circling the Canucks as a team to beat - that's what happens when you're #1 in the league.  It feels like we tighten up against the strongest teams (understandably) but I'm hoping they can still gut it out and get the W next time.

Special teams will be crucial in any game.  There will be many PP opportunities for all teams come playoff time, and being unable to convert/getting scored on is going to hurt our chances greatly.  We do need to figure out what's wrong with our power play.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well Soucy and Joshua being out definitely hurts in games like this. 

Both bring size and are great pkers.

Need one more big body top 6 to replace Suter though. That would also allow us to add offense to the 4th line.

The PP1 is struggling mightily too. Brock and Petey have been MIA.

They need to find a way without these guys but you need to be able to rely on them as well. 

Soucy and Joshua as the saviors is a little scary.