[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

Realistically, right now, I don't see the Canucks as a true playoff contender, they've got some serious work to do and a tough schedule to do it in.  If they can't beat the jets, oilers, knights, avs they're probably not going far in the post season

Oilers? Hello? Did you watch us play them this year at all?

I love the cherry picking here though. What about wins against the Stars, Panthers, and yes....Oilers? Rangers went to OT to decide. Some of the top teams that we ARE beating.

Realistically, losing a (one) game against a team doesn't decide things. 

It's why playoffs are series and not one and dones.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Two words 

SPECIAL TEAMS…

(were not special)

and our stars crapped the bed…

too many penalties 

undisciplined play in our zone 

Hellebyuck outplayed Demko

we need to tighten the ship defensively 

and IMPROVE the lame ass once powerful power play 

you are not special aubrey plaza GIF by Team Coco

Well, we've been playing a ton in a short time. The outcome of this game doesn't surprise me at all. 

Having said that; IMO; we're still the best frickin team in the league.

Would like to play this game again, rested, better officiating, I'd never put down Demko. no no no.

I see a Mikiev trade in the near future. But to say we are not special, missy,  (kidding ), 

hKjCKNiktgZmisjbdE.webp

• Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well, we've been playing a ton in a short time. The outcome of this game doesn't surprise me at all. 

Having said that; IMO; we're still the best frickin team in the league.

Would like to play this game again, rested, better officiating, I'd never put down Demko. no no no.

I see a Mikiev trade in the near future. But to say we are not special, missy,  (kidding ), 

hKjCKNiktgZmisjbdE.webp

But.....we don't win every game against every team.

So despite the standings and record, "we're not there yet". Except that we actually are and it counts for something. Despite the footnotes that some will try to add.

It's a tough gig and no team wins every game. But people will weigh in on the losses (only) because it fits a narrative that we're just not good enough. Wins don't matter, only losses do.

And when the playoffs roll around and only one team wins.....if it's not this team they'll rip them apart. Just waiting in the wings to do so. 

Big bad Vegas and Avs and Oilers lose too. And sometimes against "lesser" teams.

Our team can beat any team ... I'm convinced of that. Not every game, but no team can claim that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So many here just want an echo chamber, same insecurities as MAGA

Don't mistake echo chamber as educated opinion.  The posters above provided factual information that this Canucks team hasn't struggled against the top teams as much as you have insinuated.  The echo is the echo of facts, which tends to last a lot longer than personal opinions.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Don't mistake echo chamber as educated opinion.  The posters above provided factual information that this Canucks team hasn't struggled against the top teams as much as you have insinuated.  The echo is the echo of facts, which tends to last a lot longer than personal opinions.

By citing games against teams at the start of the year.  This was always going to be the part of the season that showed who they are.  If they can't beat teams in the top 5-8 at this time, they're in tough for the playoffs.

This is a good team, but the teams they're going to have to beat are battle hardened and know when games start to mean something and they know how to tighten up.  Both Boston and Winnipeg handled them pretty easily

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

What does "just a body at this point" even mean?

Yes, he is. He led the team in shots last night and he was also involved in board battles.

Garbage goals? All 30 of them?

I've seen some snipes where JT's fed him the puck. And this one wasn't garbage, it was actually pretty slick.

I agree with you he doesn’t just get garbage goals. I think he was positioning himself better when he was scoring. Tip ins, rebounds. He definitely isn’t someone who can drive play which I think is a problem on that line. I feel Miller’s and Petey’s line is missing that element. A play driver who can score with soft hands. I also think it has to be someone who can bring a physical element to their game. I don’t know if they can do it all this deadline. Seems like a lot. Boeser works if he is the last of the top 6 forwards. Problem is he is the fourth. We don’t have anyone behind him.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

Always frustrating to come out on the wrong end of score. Fortunately it has not happened much this season.

1. Despite all the criticism, I thought the Canucks were the better team overall.  In all-situations expected goals, the Canucks were ahead 4.52 to 2.34. That is a pretty big margin. And the Canucks were way ahead in all-situations Corsi, Fenwick, shots, scoring chances and high danger chances.  The Canucks deserved to win this game.

2. What went wrong? Hellybuck had an excellent night and Demko did not have a great night. Not bad, but most nights he comes up at least one more big save.

3. Obviously the PK gave up too much and the PP was not good enough.

4. I also did not like the Hoglander penalties. The first one looked like embellishment and maybe the second one, too. But Hoggy needs to be a lot more disciplined. With his reputation anything that looks questionable has a good chance of being called.

5. Juulsen is taking some blame for the 3rd and 4th goals. On the third goal he made a bit hit on Scheifele but that allowed the Jets to get a 2-on-1. But I think Garland should have played it better. He went to check Scheifele instead of taking Connor. If Garland makes that play, or if Myers makes a better play it just looks like a big hit by Juulsen.

6. On the 4th goal Juulsen deserves a lot of the blame. I think the problem is that Juulsen is just not good enough to defend against Scheifele, who was able to get behind him. But Petey and Lindholm bumped into each other on that play, taking themselves out of the play and leaving a tough situation for the D. Too bad things did not go well for Juulsen on the night he scores his first goal as a Canuck.

6. Mikheyev was pretty good but obviously the Canucks are missing Joshua.

7. As a lot of people have said, it would be good to get more from Petey. But he has been very good on a lot of nights. It is weird that a guy who leads the team in scoring, is 5th in the league in the scoring, and who is good defensively gets as much criticism as Petey does. But I see things the same way a lot of others do. On some nights (like tonight) it just looks like he should be doing more.

8. Disappointing to get the loss but I would not over-react. Winnipeg is very good and the Canucks were still the better team.

James, another very good game summary.

My take on your Point 5...... I saw something similar to what you saw. Of course I rewound that play 4 times.

Juulsen and Garland were both close to Scheifele and had him well contained.

The problem wasn't the hit by Juulsen. The hit had the desired effect of separating Scheifele from the puck. The problem was the location of the hit and Garland's reaction to the hit.

Firstly, the hit was delivered too high in the zone and allowed the Winnipeg trailer to continue in stride to pick up the puck, which was just lying on the ice about a metre from Garland, and then continue with a good, aggressive line to the net. This allowed Winnipeg to out man the Canuck defenders.

Secondly, Garland was obviously surprised by the hit, probably just as much as Scheifele was. He was in tight to Scheifele cutting off a passing lane and any possible cutback. When the hit occurred there were big bodies flying through the air. Garland instinctively, ducked and made moves to protect himself from these flying bodies.

Unfortunately he lost sight of the puck which was just laying there about a metre from him.

If Juulsen would have allowed Scheifele to enter a little further into the zone, the trailer would have been further away and probably not skating hard.

This would have allowed Garland more time to locate the puck and do something with it.

Garland is not just an "Angry Little Elf" he is also quite smart (or so I believe). As he and Juulsen play together more often, they will fine-tune plays such as this.

Basically I thought that Juulsen, for the most part, played well on the 3rd pairing. Got a goal. Blocked some shots. Had some real solid puck separating hits.

I believe that he will continue to learn and get better.

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 3

Canucks win 5-2

Fan#1- "nice game, but I'd like more physicality from line # 2"

Fan# 2 " OMG CAN"T YOU JUST ENJOY A WIN?"

Canucks lose 5-2

Fan#1 " decent game game, bit I'd like more physicality from line #2"

fan#2 "OMG YOU ONLY SHOW UP AFTER A LOSS"

In other news water -is wet.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I seem to recall a lot of these comments were the same leading up to the bubble playoffs...

Canucks can't handle Blues to tough and heavy,

Canucks can't handle wild 

Canucks can't handle Vegas (while true) it went to game 7.

Point being, just because we lost to Boston and Jets, doesn't mean we won't beat them in the play offs... have faith...

Maybe not winning these close games is a blessing in disguise... It's going to be hard and a real struggle, but now the players know it too...

For sure.  MIN "deepest blue line in the league" ... St. Louis "cup champs".   

One of the things you have to like about this team so far, is its ability to bounce back.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Artemus said:

James, another very good game summary.

My take on your Point 5...... I saw something similar to what you saw. Of course I rewound that play 4 times.

Juulsen and Garland were both close to Scheifele and had him well contained.

The problem wasn't the hit by Juulsen. The hit had the desired effect of separating Scheifele from the puck. The problem was the location of the hit and Garland's reaction to the hit.

Firstly, the hit was delivered too high in the zone and allowed the Winnipeg trailer to continue in stride to pick up the puck, which was just lying on the ice about a metre from Garland, and then continue with a good, aggressive line to the net. This allowed Winnipeg to out man the Canuck defenders.

Secondly, Garland was obviously surprised by the hit, probably just as much as Scheifele was. He was in tight to Scheifele cutting off a passing lane and any possible cutback. When the hit occurred there were big bodies flying through the air. Garland instinctively, ducked and made moves to protect himself from these flying bodies.

Unfortunately he lost sight of the puck which was just laying there about a metre from him.

If Juulsen would have allowed Scheifele to enter a little further into the zone, the trailer would have been further away and probably not skating hard.

This would have allowed Garland more time to locate the puck and do something with it.

Garland is not just an "Angry Little Elf" he is also quite smart (or so I believe). As he and Juulsen play together more often, they will fine-tune plays such as this.

Basically I thought that Juulsen, for the most part, played well on the 3rd pairing. Got a goal. Blocked some shots. Had some real solid puck separating hits.

I believe that he will continue to learn and get better.

There was no need for juuls to take himself out of the play there.  Garland was on the back check and scheifle isn't going to score on dko there.  It was a terrible read by juuls

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Realistically, right now, I don't see the Canucks as a true playoff contender, they've got some serious work to do and a tough schedule to do it in.  If they can't beat the jets, oilers, knights, avs they're probably not going far in the post season

63FFE88C-F02B-4AE7-A6BC-6E18F4F063F1.gif.ee2779b99a4edba666441d48b286e778.gif

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Believe In Blue said:

Special teams killed us. If we want to be successful in the playoffs, the PP needs to get going. 

Team looks good 5 on 5, but for some reason the PP is damn dreadful. Something had to change 

Id say they had good zone time 5v5, but rarely dangerous.  The Jets kept them outside and handled them pretty easily

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

63FFE88C-F02B-4AE7-A6BC-6E18F4F063F1.gif.ee2779b99a4edba666441d48b286e778.gif

We have more games against these top teams before the season ends. If they lose most of them we should be concerned. Small sample size against these teams so far. If those teams lost to us I am sure their fanbases are saying the same thing. If we show we can’t compete with them. I will be worried  if we lose most of all of the remaining games against Boston,Avs, Vegas, and Winnipeg. Then we can worry. What has been shown against these top teams is that they are struggling to meet pressure with pressure. This concerns me a bit right now. Top players have to show up against top teams or we don’t stand a chance.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Believe In Blue said:

Special teams killed us. If we want to be successful in the playoffs, the PP needs to get going. 

Team looks good 5 on 5, but for some reason the PP is damn dreadful. Something had to change 

Ummm...special teams in the playoffs.   I'd take a top PK over a top PP anyday.   So did ANA when they won.   So did Boston when they won.   Not saying it's not important.   But in case you haven't watched enough, even now, the whistles get put away, and it's 5 x 5 that matters,  Tochett knows this.    Not sure why ours is so anemic.   Of late it has been (six weeks?), yet we still keep winning, and it's not the playoffs.   

• Cheers 1