[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

hes 100% correct. And yep, he'll get fined.

Imagine a world of free speech where....you can be fined for being honest.

Protecting the refs is out of control. They should have to answer in pressers after the game. Validate their work.

But no.

Even Imac touched on it last night...though he tried to balance it out by being pc. Said he didn't think refs should do 2 games in a row for the same team and that there was a carryover (with Hoglander) from the Detroit game that factored in. So even before puck drop, one team is in the box.

Every game should be a clean slate....this is BS (to bring something from a previous game into one against a different opponent). Bias....that's it rigth there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Nope.

Refs gonna call more penalties on Myers. 2 min for being too tall.

True. As much as I rag on Myers for his inconsistencies and bone head plays, that was not a penalty. 

Two minutes for being too tall. 

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Protecting the refs is out of control. They should have to answer in pressers after the game. Validate their work.

But no.

I'm hopeful AI will help to keep them more honest. Clearly there was a bug up the refs ass over Hoglander. Oh excuse me, that goon Hoglander.

Poink grabbing his face like he got hit with a frying pan was just sad. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

My thing is this ...

If we're going to look ahead in the schedule and point out benchmark teams/games to measure how good we really are, which we have done in Boston and Winnipeg as big tests - there should be some grounded acknowledgment that we just failed two big benchmark tests. 

That doesn't mean all hope is lost or we're terrible. There's more to learn. Even Tocchet said that last night.

We measured ourselves against other top teams and won, passed the big tests, and acknowledged the wins to become a top team ourselves.

It's not that we can't beat top teams, it's that we didn't make big enough statements against Boston and Winnipeg as the #1 team in the league. 

If we're just going to dismiss that ... then stop looking ahead in the schedule at certain games and giving them significance or meaning. If it really is meaningless, then stop measuring us against those teams. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

One thing for sure, when Petey gets hot it pushes us further. We need him (to do a bit more).

Look at Matthews right now? As much as I can't stand him/his team....he's upping his game at the right time.

A lot really does depend on when players run hot/cold. Your best players have to be your best players. I give JT a pass when he's not scoring because he is battling hard out there and sets up plays with so much potential and could connect but just miss at times. He had a few tip in's too that could've been goals. He's a high risk high reward (when it works) player. I really watch him and he sees plays before they're there...he's quick to distribute the puck and sometimes it's even before a guy's ready to receive it. But when it clicks, it's special. It also leaves for the occasional pick off the other way, but he does some stuff out there that, for me, is one step ahead.

Let's hope Petey catches fire soon and starts showing his stuff again. 

I completely agree. It’s not fair to say he doesn’t show up against top teams because he does… sometimes. It’s also not fair to say he doesn’t show up against physical teams because he does… sometimes. So much of what he does is is cerebral and he doesn’t lack the skill or the physical ability.

He’s obviously not a guy like Crosby or Mackinnon who can power through guys on a consistent basis but he’s also not as consistent as a guy like Kucherov. Kuch can play every single game the same way by making smart passes and seeing the ice in ways others can’t. When Petey is struggling, it’s all encapsulating. He’s light on his feet and he makes bad decisions. The good thing is he has time to get out of this funk and in the past, he has always come out stronger.

I was at the game last night surrounded by Jets fans and it was a painful way to lose. On the bright side, their jaws were dropping every time Hughes touched the puck and they couldn’t believe how good he was. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

But no.

Ya I think we should move past the “oh if you do that no one will want to ref.” mentality. All the other leagues have adjusted. In every job people are held accountable. I don’t get why they are so protected from questions. It would make them do their jobs better. Isn’t that want anyone wants when they have business?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya I think we should move past the “oh if you do that no one will want to ref.” mentality. All the other leagues have adjusted. In every job people are held accountable. I don’t get why they are so protected from questions. It would make them do their jobs better.

It would give the league more accountability and respect.

Not doing that just screams of game management. And it becomes a Vince McMahon special for me when that happens. May as well write scripts to hand out.

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

My thing is this ...

If we're going to look ahead in the schedule and point out benchmark teams/games to measure how good we really are, which we have done in Boston and Winnipeg as big tests - there should be some grounded acknowledgment that we just failed two big benchmark tests. 

That doesn't mean all hope is lost or we're terrible. There's more to learn. Even Tocchet said that last night.

We measured ourselves against other top teams and won, passed the big tests, and acknowledged the wins to become a top team ourselves.

It's not that we can't beat top teams, it's that we didn't make big enough statements against Boston and Winnipeg as the #1 team in the league. 

If we're just going to dismiss that ... then stop looking ahead in the schedule at certain games and giving them significance or meaning. If it really is meaningless, then stop measuring us against those teams. 

thats a reasonable take. I do think the team is still learning what it takes, and teams are coming hard at us now too. Add to that, there's a crap ton of video to study to pick us apart. 

The coaches need to realign things a bit, and thankfully the schedule should allow that to happen. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I really do think we're 1 big F away from hanging better with the bigger teams more consistently, but as others have pointed out, we still have a winning record against the big teams.

I don't know who the target is/should/could be... it does get harder now as teams see the same pain point we do and they'll be demanding a ton. 

Maybe we already have it in Podkolzin?

Greenway/Roslovic maybe? Outside of them not really sure. People disagree but I'd also take Bjugstad. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I really do think we're 1 big F away from hanging better with the bigger teams more consistently, but as others have pointed out, we still have a winning record against the big teams.

I don't know who the target is/should/could be... it does get harder now as teams see the same pain point we do and they'll be demanding a ton. 

Maybe we already have it in Podkolzin?

Bains too? We have to start getting farm hands into games if we can.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

If anything, Canucks needs an upgrade on Miller/Boeser line.  Suter and PDG are OK but not top 6 material.

EP + Lindholm + Hogz seem to be working.  Unfortunately it seems Hogz is in the Refs sights for some reason.

Most nights the Miller Boeser line is the best. It will not be long before Tocchet puts Hoglander back there once again.

The Pettersson  Lindholm combo should have a shitkicker, enforcer, type, that can play too.                                                                         

12 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Wow, that was NHL refereeing gone full-on nihilistic.  You could tell it was going to be bad when they didn't call the knee on Zadorov early on and then did call Myers for being too tall.  Not the reason we lost in the end, though. 

5 on 5 we were fine and generated enough to win the game.  But they defend a bit better than we do and that was decisive.

Our PP was dogshit.  Those guys are all pretty smart but they can't seem to adapt and problem solve.  If they included some bumper plays and generation from below the goal, they'd open up a lot more space higher up.  Endless passing on the periphery isn't cutting it.

This is the game in a perfect nutshell,thanks Maniwaki.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It would give the league more accountability and respect.

Not doing that just screams of game management. And it becomes a Vince McMahon special for me when that happens. May as well write scripts to hand out.

I just know everytime a bad call or noncall is or isn’t made it just feels like they don’t have to answer to anyone for that. What a complete joke. I would way rather hear from a referee,  “oh I didn’t see it “ or admit that ya it was a mistake. I think egos are so great that it would be hard for the to say I made a mistake. That’s the issue. They likely feel they are the best at their jobs and no one tells them any different. This is the real issue.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm thinking we need a big body vs more smaller skill. 

He's 6'0" 184 lbs, has 24 PIM's, he seems to play with an edge when needed, not just points. But I haven't seen any Abby games. He seemed to play with some grit here in preseason.

I have 0 concerns with our D group going into the playoffs. We have an elite top pair and 5 mutants that can make simple plays and will not take shit from anybody.

I think the only thing missing is a top 6 forward to slide in next to Miller and Boeser. The player profile can be one of two things - a chippy, grinder f1 who is a puck hound like Hyman (obviously not a guy of Hyman’s calibre since we can’t afford that) or a proper power forward like a Tom Wilson (probably not Tom Wilson since, again, we probably can’t afford him). If we can add an aggressive LW, I think Miller and Boeser can work their magic. 

We will almost never have 4 lines clicking at once nor will we have our entire group click at the same time. However, we can have enough depth to cover each other in any given game and any given series. I love the all Swede line and they’ll figure things out and I love the third line. A winger for the Miller line would be the most pressing need imo and maybe a physical, trash talking, rat type of player for the 4th line but that’s just a luxury.

We need to dump Mikheyev’s salary though if we want to make any moves

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bains too? We have to start getting farm hands into games if we can.

It’s weird they don’t want to put the young guys in over players like PDG. I am sure that would be frustrating for players called up. They aren’t even giving them a chance this year to show they are ready. The Canucks overall also haven’t been injured that often but when they are like right now, you should put the kids in. 

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Joshua being out that game really sucked....that's the type of game that he can really help us in.

What's wrong with him? Hand?

Seems like it. Jeff Paterson said yesterday Joshua hid his hand in his pockets when media walked in. He looked fine in the game until the fight 

• Sad 1