[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

3 minutes ago, farinush said:

We need to dump Mikheyev’s salary though if we want to make any moves

I wonder if Buffalo would give us Alex Tuch for Mikh --- just the type of guy we can use at 6'4" 220lbs at roughly the same cap hit. 

Yeah , i know, it aint happening...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, farinush said:

I have 0 concerns with our D group going into the playoffs. We have an elite top pair and 5 mutants that can make simple plays and will not take shit from anybody.

I think the only thing missing is a top 6 forward to slide in next to Miller and Boeser. The player profile can be one of two things - a chippy, grinder f1 who is a puck hound like Hyman (obviously not a guy of Hyman’s calibre since we can’t afford that) or a proper power forward like a Tom Wilson (probably not Tom Wilson since, again, we probably can’t afford him). If we can add an aggressive LW, I think Miller and Boeser can work their magic. 

We will almost never have 4 lines clicking at once nor will we have our entire group click at the same time. However, we can have enough depth to cover each other in any given game and any given series. I love the all Swede line and they’ll figure things out and I love the third line. A winger for the Miller line would be the most pressing need imo and maybe a physical, trash talking, rat type of player for the 4th line but that’s just a luxury.

We need to dump Mikheyev’s salary though if we want to make any moves

I think we are going to see deals we weren’t even aware of. Like the Hronek deal. Maybe not to this magnitude but players where your like that is exactly what we need in the lineup. Where did that come from. I didn’t even know he was made available. Allvin and Rutherford seem to like these deals.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I wonder if Buffalo would give us Alex Tuch for Mikh --- just the type of guy we can use at 6'4" 220lbs at roughly the same cap hit. 

You'd need to add a 1st, Lek, and Podz to that just to get them to mull it over.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

You'd need to add a 1st, Lek, and Podz to that just to get them to mull it over.

there would be a significant add for sure,  I think you have liked Tuch all along if I recall correctly?

Is it odd that I don't think Petey had a bad game? I thought he was the best player on his line tonight and that Lindholm had a bad game. Boeser and Miller were way worse than Petey was. At least Petey was putting in effort.

This game boiled down to not being creative enough. We get into a rut of playing way too safe offensively to minimize turnovers. Against teams like the Jets where they lock up the house, that's when you need to send defensemen in to add dynamics to the offense and when we did that... well we scored.

Thought the forwards were bad from top to bottom tonight. Get Mikheyev off that goddamn line and stick PDG or Laff there. How does that line lose one player and goes from dominating 75% of their shifts to 50/50 hockey. Might as well put Aman there if you want to kill that line. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

If we can add Tuch to the team, the league might as well just start engraving the Canucks names into the cup haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's 6'0" 184 lbs, has 24 PIM's, he seems to play with an edge when needed, not just points. But I haven't seen any Abby games. He seemed to play with some grit here in preseason.

people seem high on him for sure. 

He's already up with the team, so who knows, maybe we'll see him tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeyD said:

Is it odd that I don't think Petey had a bad game? I thought he was the best player on his line tonight and that Lindholm had a bad game. Boeser and Miller were way worse than Petey was. At least Petey was putting in effort.

This game boiled down to not being creative enough. We get into a rut of playing way too safe offensively to minimize turnovers. Against teams like the Jets where they lock up the house, that's when you need to send defensemen in to add dynamics to the offense and when we did that... well we scored.

Thought the forwards were bad from top to bottom tonight. Get Mikheyev off that goddamn line and stick PDG or Laff there. How does that line lose one player and goes from dominating 75% of their shifts to 50/50 hockey. Might as well put Aman there if you want to kill that line. 

I think everyone just wants him to have a major impact in these types of games. He just hasn’t. We have had a few pressure games where he hasn’t looked dangerous or asserted himself at all. It makes people nervous when we aren’t even in the playoffs and he has been a no show in these games. He’s out there but he isn’t driving play. I can see where the concerns are.

37 minutes ago, Dom said:

I'd say this is a 2nd round team, 3rd max. Definitely not winning a cup, unfortunately. 

That are my thoughts as well but I would even say a 1st round exit is more likely than not. Even if Canucks gets the presidents trophy they would get slaughtered by LA and STL.

Canucks' record against the elite teams have been abysmal and now losing to the Jets. Canucks can't beat the elite (or near elite) teams.

Againts BOS, COL, VGK, WPG, and DAL the team only has 1 win.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

One thing I should mention....I'm almost to the point that I'm getting really tired of bad attitude from RA staff. I go to a lot of games....have been for 15 years or so. Always with my little cowbell. 

It's the old hags who don't know how to greet people...they're hosts ,that's part of their job is to make paying customers feel welcome and happy. But no, they're like SWAT team wannabes. Last game was a fiasco and they offered me "food and drink" in a g/c to make up for it. I wasn't really wanting anything, except to alert them to the fact that some of the staff need to be addressed/retrained. Trained at all on customer "service". 

A $25 g/c barely covers a large pop, but thanks. I did appreciate the gesture....but just really want the experience to be better. I don't like being accosted at the door...I'm a nice person (until you piss me off).

So we entered last night at Gate 16 and Hostzilla immediately said "YOU CAN'T BRING THAT IN HERE" (my lil cowbell). Not "excuse me Ma'am...hi...."). I said "oh, I've been bringing it for 15 years. She interrupted with "NO NOISEMAKERS".

Seriously? It's a frickin' hockey game not a library. And could you tell that Crazy P guy that as he's screaming in my ear? K, thanks.

I'm going to buy me an airhorn. And a kazoo. 

/rant

This is what hockey should be. The arena shouldn’t be filled with LinkedIn meetups trying to talk business 

on a side note… I miss sweet Caroline at the games

47287747-4098-45D4-A080-BE43B8E0D000.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

One thing I should mention....I'm almost to the point that I'm getting really tired of bad attitude from RA staff and prefer to watch from home. I go to a lot of games....have been for 15 years or so. Always with my little cowbell. I love the overall experience as part of it...but lately there have been some sour pusses threatening that.

It's the old hags who don't know how to greet people...they're hosts ,that's part of their job is to make paying customers feel welcome and happy. But no, they're like SWAT team wannabes. Last game was a fiasco and they offered me "food and drink" in a g/c to make up for it. I wasn't really wanting anything, except to alert them to the fact that some of the staff need to be addressed/retrained. Trained at all on customer "service". 

A $25 g/c barely covers a large pop, but thanks. I did appreciate the gesture....but just really want the experience to be better. I don't like being accosted at the door...I'm a nice person (until you piss me off).

So we entered last night at Gate 16 and Hostzilla immediately said "YOU CAN'T BRING THAT IN HERE" (my lil cowbell). Not "excuse me Ma'am...hi...."). I said "oh, I've been bringing it for 15 years. She interrupted with "NO NOISEMAKERS".

Seriously? It's a frickin' hockey game not a library. And could you tell that Crazy P guy that as he's screaming in my ear? K, thanks.

I'm going to buy me an airhorn. And a kazoo. 

/rant

That is very strange. No noisemakers??? I would write someone at the top and let them know about the atmosphere they are creating or better yet not allowing. That’s just odd and makes no sense. It should be a partylike atmosphere, especially at the prices everyone pays. I am sure they are trying to appease their corporate fans who can’t take such a ruckus. Man people with money really do control things. Sad.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

Just now, iinatcc said:

That are my thoughts as well but I would even say a 1st round exit is more likely than not. Even if Canucks gets the presidents trophy they would get slaughtered by LA and STL.

Canucks' record against the elite teams have been abysmal and now losing to the Jets. Canucks can't beat the elite (or near elite) teams.

Saving this one too.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The cherry picking is hilarious.  Your carefully selected  sample size is 6 games.   As pointed out earlier in the thread the Canucks at 10-5-2 against the top teams in the league.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well playoffs are all about luck and who has the most. Bounces good or bad. Who’s on a hot streak at the right times. It all matters and it’s out of everyone’s control. It just about bettering your chances by building a solid team and having luck on your side.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, farinush said:

This is what hockey should be. The arena shouldn’t be filled with LinkedIn meetups trying to talk business 

That is a bit too much topless men and flags for me..

Maybe if they were up in the top row but damn, hows anyone supposed to watch the game with that nonsense in front?

2 minutes ago, farinush said:

The crowd is different when games are affordable. I've been to the lower bowl once. All I saw was puck bunnies, business types on their phones the whole time. There was maybe a couple of rows of fans like myself that was cheering the Canucks on. But from what I observed most of the noise came from the upper level. And every time I'm at the upper level I have a blast.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

By citing games against teams at the start of the year.  This was always going to be the part of the season that showed who they are.  If they can't beat teams in the top 5-8 at this time, they're in tough for the playoffs.

This is a good team, but the teams they're going to have to beat are battle hardened and know when games start to mean something and they know how to tighten up.  Both Boston and Winnipeg handled them pretty easily

The Canucks literally beat the Rangers, Canes, and Leafs over the past month and a bit.  They've lost against Boston and the Jets.  Facts.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jets were 4-6 in their last 10 games. Only scoring 13 g in those 10 games. 

They came in with something to prove. 

ie more desperate.  We are getting everyone's A game now. If another team can tip the scales physically that is what they will do. We can't afford passengers. Sorry Aman that means you. We need a much needed extra tough sonofabitch there.

Seems like every NHL team is looking for that physical player who can finish checks "hard" on the opposing team + chip in a few goals as well. Several players that match that criteria right now but it's gonna cost teams in a big way in terms of picks or prospects - can't imagine the pending interest for Dakota this coming summer.

On another matter, the PP has been struggling recently with PK teams being overly aggressive on the Canuck point men (almost touching the blueline as the Canucks D have little space up top ) - teams did it earlier in the year and now seems to be back again - not sure if that is also the reason for the rash of SHGs recently - hopefully the Canucks can correct a few things and get it going again during the upcoming road trip.  

Maybe they can try Big Z in front sometime in the future or move Petey + Co around just to throw a few wrinkles if it continues to struggle. Maybe the Sedins can also mention a few things from the days of Newell B that may help them later in the season.

Just Win.jpg

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Not sure for what but yeah sure. 

If the Canucks do end up winning the cup, I would be the first to be glad that I was wrong.

And if any of the list of teams you've selected wins....it'll likely mean they get away with the crap they do and have a bit of an unfair advantage. Yes, big bad teams who somehow get a lot of blind officiating. Some teams can play a physical game and some teams...sit in the box.

Our team's learning to roll with it...except last night they did  lose composure. They'll tune that up.

I mean, I wish Tyler Myers wasn't so tall but hey, let's throw the book at him always. I just hope for a level playing field...then we stand a chance.

Listing a handful of teams does increase your odds though.

• Confused 1