[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

Just now, HKSR said:

The Canucks literally beat the Rangers, Canes, and Leafs over the past month and a bit.  They've lost against Boston and the Jets.  Facts.

Right?

But don't use facts, they're irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

One thing I should mention....I'm almost to the point that I'm getting really tired of bad attitude from RA staff and prefer to watch from home. I go to a lot of games....have been for 15 years or so. Always with my little cowbell. I love the overall experience as part of it...but lately there have been some sour pusses threatening that.

It's the old hags who don't know how to greet people...they're hosts ,that's part of their job is to make paying customers feel welcome and happy. But no, they're like SWAT team wannabes. Last game was a fiasco and they offered me "food and drink" in a g/c to make up for it. I wasn't really wanting anything, except to alert them to the fact that some of the staff need to be addressed/retrained. Trained at all on customer "service". 

A $25 g/c barely covers a large pop, but thanks. I did appreciate the gesture....but just really want the experience to be better. I don't like being accosted at the door...I'm a nice person (until you piss me off).

So we entered last night at Gate 16 and Hostzilla immediately said "YOU CAN'T BRING THAT IN HERE" (and pointed at my uzi lil purple cowbell). Not "excuse me Ma'am...hi...."). I said "oh, I've been bringing it for 15 years. She interrupted with "NO NOISEMAKERS ALLOWED". Well then quit yelling at me?

Seriously? It's a frickin' hockey game not a library. And could you tell that Crazy P guy that as he's screaming in my ear? K, thanks.

I'm going to buy me an airhorn. And a kazoo. 

/rant

They do the dumbest things. Sorry they've been jerks to you lately.

At the caps games they take your bottle cap away. Just no cap. Really great when you don't have a cup holder. I've started smuggling in caps. So dumb.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Seems like every NHL team is looking for that physical player who can finish checks "hard" on the opposing team + chip in a few goals as well. Several players that match that criteria right now but it's gonna cost teams in a big way in terms of picks or prospects - can't imagine the pending interest for Dakota this coming summer.

On another matter, the PP has been struggling recently with PK teams being overly aggressive on the Canuck point men (almost touching the blueline as the Canucks D have little space up top ) - teams did it earlier in the year and now seems to be back again - not sure if that is also the reason for the rash of SHGs recently - hopefully the Canucks can correct a few things and get it going again during the upcoming road trip.  

Maybe they can try Big Z in front sometime in the future or move Petey + Co around just to throw a few wrinkles if it continues to struggle. Maybe the Sedins can also mention a few things from the days of Newell B that may help them later in the season.

Just Win.jpg

Which makes it that more important we resign Dakota. We don’t have players that can fill that role. We need more than just him right now in the lineup. It should be a necessity that we retain him or then we are down two of these types of players. Kind of makes me nervous if we let him just walk.

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That are my thoughts as well but I would even say a 1st round exit is more likely than not. Even if Canucks gets the presidents trophy they would get slaughtered by LA and STL.

Canucks' record against the elite teams have been abysmal and now losing to the Jets. Canucks can't beat the elite (or near elite) teams.

Againts BOS, COL, VGK, WPG, and DAL the team only has 1 win.  

Abysmal?  Can't just cherry pick 4 teams in which we have only played them once.  Florida is second right behind us.  We beat them twice this year.  Carolina is in the top ten.  We also beat them twice this year.  See I can cherry pick too.  We beat teams out of the top ten like we should and play top ten teams even.  

No I don't have any delusions that we will win the cup.  We could go far, win a few rounds or get punted after one.  Who knows?  Thats why they play the games.  We haven't even played LA this year and you say we would get slaughtered by them in a 7 game series?  really?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That is a bit too much topless men and flags for me..

Maybe if they were up in the top row but damn, hows anyone supposed to watch the game with that nonsense in front?

so you’re saying you don’t want to be surrounded by a bunch of pale, sweaty guys who smell like beer and cheese? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

They do the dumbest things. Sorry they've been jerks to you lately.

At the caps games they take your bottle cap away. Just no cap. Really great when you don't have a cup holder. I've started smuggling in caps. So dumb.

Thing is....there are some wonderful "hosts" there and I've made friends with them.

Then there are the power mongering beasts. Mostly women who have their arms crossed and their entire body language says NO. Do not pass go.

It's a bit disheartening....we pay good $$ in that damn rink.

I'm done with the Karen emails though....I don't need their free pop. I'm just deciding if I want to be subjected to interrogations or opt to watch from the comfort of home with my family here. I'm leaning toward option 2.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Right?

But don't use facts, they're irrelevant.

I think what makes everyone nervous is that these were the most talked about games and they have not done well in them. I mean pressure games. Vegas, Avs, Toronto in Toronto, Boston and now Winnipeg. It’s where I have felt the most pressure on them. Like Tochett said they need to meet pressure with pressure. They haven’t really in these games and these are the games everyone has been talking about being measuring sticks for them. They have not measured up but they have a chance to face these teams and beat them again. I think it will tell us more when we face them a second time and see if we can come out on top because there will be even more pressure to beat those teams since we lost to them  last time. Can they meet pressure with pressure. Guess we will see.

3 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Seems like every NHL team is looking for that physical player who can finish checks "hard" on the opposing team + chip in a few goals as well. Several players that match that criteria right now but it's gonna cost teams in a big way in terms of picks or prospects - can't imagine the pending interest for Dakota this coming summer.

On another matter, the PP has been struggling recently with PK teams being overly aggressive on the Canuck point men (almost touching the blueline as the Canucks D have little space up top ) - teams did it earlier in the year and now seems to be back again - not sure if that is also the reason for the rash of SHGs recently - hopefully the Canucks can correct a few things and get it going again during the upcoming road trip.  

Maybe they can try Big Z in front sometime in the future or move Petey + Co around just to throw a few wrinkles if it continues to struggle. Maybe the Sedins can also mention a few things from the days of Newell B that may help them later in the season.

Just Win.jpg

Yes they are attacking our point men. We need to counter that attack by shifting the focal point somewhere else. We all want to get the puck to Huggy. We know that and they know that. Maybe shift Huggy down a bit lower and also use the back of the net. Let Hronek take bombs from Huggys spot.

Add Z to net front and muck it up. Brock and JT can support the crease when that happens.  

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

But some say Brock is awful and does nothing. I'm not sure they know what number he is.

I would say this game was out of the ordinary for Brock. He racked up six games worth of hits at his normal clip We don't see him get involved physically very often. Its nice to see it when it happens though. Mikheyev blocked a shot one of only 3 fwds to do so this is a real problem for our club. He now has a whopping nine blocks on the season for our elite defensive forward. Even got a hit. He's usually good for about one every five games, picked up an apple too. He was one of the few players involved in a positive way this game while most were running around chasing. 

It's important to recognize when players who need to step up in different areas actually do.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Canucks literally beat the Rangers, Canes, and Leafs over the past month and a bit.  They've lost against Boston and the Jets.  Facts.

They beat the Rags earlier in the year and I don't consider the Leafs or Canes to be contenders

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

No I don't have any delusions that we will win the cup.  We could go far, win a few rounds or get punted after one.  Who knows?  Thats why they play the games.  We haven't even played LA this year and you say we would get slaughtered by them in a 7 game series?  really?

The Kings have legit playoff experience. Took the Oilers to 7 games last playoffs.

They were also on pace for being the presidents trophy this year but had a bad month that caused their coach to get fired.

If the Kings somehow keep it up it's possible this Kings team being a dangerous playoff team. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, farinush said:

so you’re saying you don’t want to be surrounded by a bunch of pale, sweaty guys who smell like beer and cheese? 

That's my section right there.

Put me with the hooligans. 

will ferrell cowbell GIF

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is....there are some wonderful "hosts" there and I've made friends with them.

Then there are the power mongering beasts. Mostly women who have their arms crossed and their entire body language says NO. Do not pass go.

It's a bit disheartening....we pay good $$ in that damn rink.

Well this is a management issue and they need to talk to their staff. Are they aware of the issue? If I were part of the management I would be making sure they weren’t acting this way. They are in the business of being hosts and creating an atmosphere that is healthy and energetic. 

17 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

One thing I should mention....I'm almost to the point that I'm getting really tired of bad attitude from RA staff and prefer to watch from home. I go to a lot of games....have been for 15 years or so. Always with my little cowbell. I love the overall experience as part of it...but lately there have been some sour pusses threatening that.

It's the old hags who don't know how to greet people...they're hosts ,that's part of their job is to make paying customers feel welcome and happy. But no, they're like SWAT team wannabes. Last game was a fiasco and they offered me "food and drink" in a g/c to make up for it. I wasn't really wanting anything, except to alert them to the fact that some of the staff need to be addressed/retrained. Trained at all on customer "service". 

A $25 g/c barely covers a large pop, but thanks. I did appreciate the gesture....but just really want the experience to be better. I don't like being accosted at the door...I'm a nice person (until you piss me off).

So we entered last night at Gate 16 and Hostzilla immediately said "YOU CAN'T BRING THAT IN HERE" (and pointed at my uzi lil purple cowbell). Not "excuse me Ma'am...hi...."). I said "oh, I've been bringing it for 15 years. She interrupted with "NO NOISEMAKERS ALLOWED". Well then quit yelling at me?

Seriously? It's a frickin' hockey game not a library. And could you tell that Crazy P guy that as he's screaming in my ear? K, thanks.

I'm going to buy me an airhorn. And a kazoo. 

/rant

Wonder if the discouragement of noisemakers is a league thing?

I remember they used to give fans these blow up tubes that made a really loud banging noise when folded and knocked together.  Dont see them anymore.

17 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That are my thoughts as well but I would even say a 1st round exit is more likely than not. Even if Canucks gets the presidents trophy they would get slaughtered by LA and STL.

Canucks' record against the elite teams have been abysmal and now losing to the Jets. Canucks can't beat the elite (or near elite) teams.

Against top teams they're 3rd in the league. If they were bad do you think they'd be at the top of the league? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Wonder if the discouragement of noisemakers is a league thing?

I remember they used to give fans these blow up tubes that made a really loud banging noise when folded and knocked together.  Dont see them anymore.

Some rinks have noisemakers though, so it's inconsistent. 

And only PAID noisemakers? Is that the deal? Canned stuff.

I have some of those tubes (lol). You're giving me ideas here.....

If that's what they're doing as a league thing, no thanks. We come here to have fun and cheer our team on. Not just when/how you tell us to.

I can do so at home so that might be the best place for me to watch the game. Save some $$. The overall in game experience is losing it's lustre for me if I have to follow a bunch of rules about how to cheer. Nope.

• Cheers 1

This was the jets absolute best and we hung with them just fine.  The Myers hit was not a penalty and took some gas away.  Winnipeg were diving early showing they were scared of us.  Some of the embellishments were truly Oscar winning.  Haven't seen that in a while.  We outshot outplayed and out hit them.  No worries here.

Edited by ronning4center
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, MikeyD said:

Against top teams they're 3rd in the league. If they were bad do you think they'd be at the top of the league? 

Never said they were bad but not really on the same level as the top teams (or maybe even the team a tier lower than the top teams). 

My opinion could change of course especially in the next string of games against COL and BOS. But for now, I can't see this team hanging against the cream of the crop teams. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronning4center said:

This was the jets absolute best and we hung with them just fine.  The Myers hit was not a penalty and took some gas away.  Winnipeg were diving early showing they were scared of us.  Some of the embellishments were truly Oscar winning.  Haven't seen that in a while.  We outshot outplayed and out hit them.  No worries here.

Excellent post.

Yes.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The same Kings who have come crashing back down to earth to the point they fired their coach? Those guys? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The Kings have legit playoff experience. Took the Oilers to 7 games last playoffs.

They were also on pace for being the presidents trophy this year but had a bad month that caused their coach to get fired.

If the Kings somehow keep it up it's possible this Kings team being a dangerous playoff team. 

Besides Kopitar and Doughty, who has any real playoff experience? If they are rolling into the playoffs with the D group they have now, they are going to get caved in. Their bottom 6 is young and inexperienced and capped off with the fabulous PLD. If you think our top 6 isn’t good enough, I’d love to see what you think of theirs.

if 1 round of playoffs is “experience”, we have an abundance of that on our team.

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hmm, PLD is still there.  This is a team that lost 8 in a row not too long ago.  I'd wait till we play them a couple of games before making those claims.

• Cheers 2