[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I find it a red flag when folks say Canuck Fan in their name (Not you Canuck Fan) then do nothing but complain about players, seem to celebrate loses, and never have anything positive to say about the team. If our record was reversed so it was like Chicago, you could complain all you like. I'm not saying all is amazing in Canuckland. But it's pretty clear some so called Fans, don't seem to like the team very much. Which I find is odd.

It's ok to complain. But find something you like about the team and post it as well. Be it Joshua, Soucy, Lindholm, PDG, Juulsen. Hell if all you say is. I love the Black Skate jersey.  Or I miss the Flying V's. Or something wild like change the name to Spirit Bears. I'm sick of posters who only log on to gripe. Then when the team wins they disappear.

Well on a good note we haven't seen much of them this year :classic_ninja:

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It is, for sure.  But, some games are games you measure your team against.  These games against the top teams down the stretch are absolutely critical, more important for the Canucks than the rest combined

I think it's more important to try to get better and win the important games than it is to nail down just how short we are. That's what it's all about. The Boston game was just a bad turn of events and the last game was a  couple mistakes at the end. You have to learn from it. I don't agree it's more important though than the rest of the year. You have to build on something and we have built a really solid foundation.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think it's more important to try to get better and win the important games than it is to nail down just how short we are. That's what it's all about. The Boston game was just a bad turn of events and the last game was a  couple mistakes at the end. You have to learn from it. I don't agree it's more important though than the rest of the year. You have to build on something and we have built a really solid foundation.

I think these games against the best, at this time of year, are infinity mord important.  These are Cup winning teams or teams who are close year after year.  They know how to win those kinds of games......van simply doesn't have that kind of experience yet

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

Except that's not the case at all when people like you and CanuckFanForLife82 are so much louder and pessimistic after losses than you are after wins. 

That’s just your opinion, I rarely see you make comments when I make positive ones throughout and after the games. You just choose to comment on the negative ones. That’s your choice. Not my issue. Your narrative you want to go by. Next time comment on the positive ones.  

Saw the game last night and have to say we're still seriously outmuscled, outsized and out-gritted and why we cannot beat the top dogs in the league, which is a very, very big concern heading towards the playoffs as grit, size and muscle are the keys to victory in the brutal playoff rounds.  We might squeek thru a prelim and maybe even a 2nd round but when things get down to the remaining top dogs we'll be challenged to pull thru on Finesse Playmaking alone as we only have a few players that have those key ingredients.  Hopefully JR can continue to add a player or two more before the TDL as he himself said this was a big hole in the Canucks organization and has been trying to plug that - since.

Fingers crossed he can continue to add a couple more pieces before the TDL.  

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think what makes everyone nervous is that these were the most talked about games and they have not done well in them. I mean pressure games. Vegas, Avs, Toronto in Toronto, Boston and now Winnipeg. It’s where I have felt the most pressure on them. Like Tochett said they need to meet pressure with pressure. They haven’t really in these games and these are the games everyone has been talking about being measuring sticks for them. They have not measured up but they have a chance to face these teams and beat them again. I think it will tell us more when we face them a second time and see if we can come out on top because there will be even more pressure to beat those teams since we lost to them  last time. Can they meet pressure with pressure. Guess we will see.

And I say that we will see in play offs how the team meet the pressure.

We are almost already in playoffs and the team doesn’t have anything to prove.

The playoffs are where the team has anything to prove.

Before playoffs it’s fans, influencers, journos opinioning about almost nothing.

Tocchet, players, management had to answer questions that have no importance at all.

Tocchet most definately holds some card close to him so he won’t tell us everything. 
Why should he let the oppo know everything? 

8 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Did you even watch yesterday’s game? They matched up well against them even dominated territorially at times.  Lack of finish on our part and a couple of brain farts cost us that game.  No way we were handled easily.  

Gotta love the extreme hyperbole by the downers! 

Love this team and optimistic were making a good run in the playoffs this year. Whether we go all the way or not takes some luck for everything to align. Certainly a welcome surprise compared to the last few years 😃

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Good game but not good enough on the powerplay. Everyone standing around expecting Hughes to create something.

I still think Lindholm - Garland is something the team needs to look at. 

I want to see something like this at least once.

Suter - Miller - Boeser

TRADE - Pettersson - Hoglander

Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Mikheyev - Blueger - Lafferty

Podkolzin 

Kessel

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well on a good note we haven't seen much of them this year :classic_ninja:

:hurhur:

It’s comments like his and this that make me laugh that fans think they are more or better fans of the team than others. Just really comical. “I’m more of a fan than you.” Lol

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Saw the game last night and have to say we're still seriously outmuscled, outsized and out-gritted and why we cannot beat the top dogs in the league, which is a very, very big concern heading towards the playoffs as grit, size and muscle are the keys to victory in the brutal playoff rounds.  We might squeek thru a prelim and maybe even a 2nd round but when things get down to the remaining top dogs we'll be challenged to pull thru on Finesse Playmaking alone as we only have a few players that have those key ingredients.  Hopefully JR can continue to add a player or two more before the TDL as he himself said this was a big hole in the Canucks organization and has been trying to plug that - since.

Personally, I think it's unwise to trade all their assets for this year...... I think they've got some growing to do and changes are best made in the off season

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

One other point is our anemic P.P. which has gone back to playing almost entirely on the outside and looks like the same P.P. we've had the last few years.   Thankfully Tock-it has recognized the need to "change things up" and can hopefully get a bit more drives to the net rather than all those one timers from 60' feet out, which rarely even get to the net - let alone result in a goal.    They also need to get more traffic in front like when Kuz was here because that has been sadly lacking since he left.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think these games against the best, at this time of year, are infinity mord important.  These are Cup winning teams or teams who are close year after year.  They know how to win those kinds of games......van simply doesn't have that kind of experience yet

It sounds like you're saying it's over. Fast forward to next year I guess.

• Cheers 1

Last night was a disappointment- but one positive takeaway I had was our ability to not just match Winnipeg but I felt we were the more physical team.  

Obviously that one hit preceded a goal and they scored on the PP - so a nice lesson to pick out spots better - but even without Joshua and Soucy we’ve sneakily become one of the nastier teams in the league.  Kind of a nice silver lining thought.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Chicken. said:

Gotta love the extreme hyperbole by the downers! 

Love this team and optimistic were making a good run in the playoffs this year. Whether we go all the way or not takes some luck for everything to align. Certainly a welcome surprise compared to the last few years 😃

Honestly, I'd rather celebrate the wins/victories versus projecting imminent (we know for sure) failure. Even if it comes true.

Will we win the cup? Probably not, but not a certainty. Health is a  huge factor. If guys like Petey and Miller start hitting the scoreboard again and Demko lights it up. We have physicality. A lot of stuff has to line up....the big bad boys don't have it in the bag quite yet.

If we're holding our breath because we "think" they won't do anything, that's a loser's game to me. To have an "aha" moment and be proven right about our team's failure seems a little off to me.

One team in 32 wins and all the rest lose. So the odds are in your favour. 

If  you're convinced we're not good enough please just store that in your magic vault and pull it out to wave in our faces in the end. Not now, it's not time. You haven't earned the right to proclaim that you're right and we're wrong. 

It's ok to be critical. It's not ok to speak like an authority who knows more than the rest of us. I'll challenge that every damn time.

I avoided this place last night because I knew the naysayers would be out in full force. Telling us how it is, while ignoring a lot of how it really is. Making sh up.

Losing it's lustre.....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

No, but expectations should be tempered

But shouldn't they always be? That seems logical to me. Don't count your chickens stuff.

I believe the team has that mindset and we should too. Most of us do. We're just not counting us out yet, as some here are.

I don't see many here awarding us the cup just yet. But what I DO see is many awarding it to other teams. Why even play the games?

14 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s comments like his and this that make me laugh that fans think they are more or better fans of the team than others. Just really comical. “I’m more fan than you.” Lol

Glad I'm able to make you laugh... you should try it. It actually helps to be a jolly person. 

This team is on the best run so far of ANY CANUCKS TEAM IN HISTORY... let that sink in for a moment. THE BEST...

Once you've thought about that, maybe you can understand the frustrations of others with the constant whining, if they lose a game...

How did you survive the previous years, you watched the Canucks?

I have zero problems with folks and different view points, but I do enjoy the positivity on this forum, when the team is doing well...

And yes there are poster, who just appear, when the team is losing...

And yes as I said.... we don't that much of them, as the team is mostly winning just now. 

So laugh out loud, I know, I am... but I do it with joy over us having one heck of a season, how about you?

PS. I don't think, I am more of a fan than anyone else, but I am definitely more of a glass half full than glss half empty, when it comes to the Canucks. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It sounds like you're saying it's over. Fast forward to next year I guess.

I think they're probably a two round team this year, but failing to reach the top of the mountain is critical for most teams who eventually get to the top 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

We were well into the bottom half of the league last year and somehow we're supposed to be a seasoned contender in the space of one year?  I'm more than pumped about how far we've come.  It goes without saying that a lot of learning is going on.  Undoubtedly there is more to come.  But the very fact that our resident know-it-alls feel the need to point that out shows that they don't think it is obvious and therefore condescend to enlighten us with their benevolent wisdom. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Last night was a disappointment- but one positive takeaway I had was our ability to not just match Winnipeg but I felt we were the more physical team.  

Obviously that one hit preceded a goal and they scored on the PP - so a nice lesson to pick out spots better - but even without Joshua and Soucy we’ve sneakily become one of the nastier teams in the league.  Kind of a nice silver lining thought.

They didn't back down from the physical play, that's for sure.  However, I do think they let it get them off their game and lose focus and discipline 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well we were missing 2 key muscle pieces last night.  I hate to make injuries as an excuse to why we lost but the Jets were fully healthy.  You don’t think Soucy and Joshua wouldn’t have made any difference?  I would love to get another Physical top 6 forward but I’m sure most of the other contending teams would too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Personally, I think it's unwise to trade all their assets for this year...... I think they've got some growing to do and changes are best made in the off season

Absolutly agree!   The best option is to "TRY" and unload secondary players like Mik, Blue-Gear, Aman, D-Guiseppe, anf the likes for other 2nd tier players but with size and grit beacuse those types of players we have are a dime a dozen and they may as well sacrafice the few points they get from guys like that for those other more lacking attributes - which this team is so desperatly in need of to make a push into the playoffs and we don't want to throw away more high picks because we'll need them down the road.

Another interesting point.......Remember - only 2 teams have ever won the cup - going back 45 years without a top three pick!  Just read this report from a few years ago to get a sobering fact check on the realities of playoff hockey!        https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo