[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, igorwasgreat said:

Absolutely , by the same logic , losing to them means little as well. But it’s a good report card for where we are and where we need to be.

Agreed, it's the games against those top teams now that matter, that show us where they really are

• Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea cause he was great here. 😂

The coaching was bad, look how much better Myers looks under this staff?  OEL is playing well,has played every game for a team only 4 points back ( and game in hand) of Van and is almost a half point per game player.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, exactly this. In my opinion Boston isn't any type of powerhouse. They are like last year, a good regular season team. We shot ourselves in the foot that game gifting them 3 of their goals. Winnipeg is a very well coached team who needed a win to get off the schnied. They play a real good playoff style but are low scoring. They barely beat us. A couple of folks are really over-reacting. That's like 4 or 5 losses in the last 15 or 20 games isn't it?

Winnipeg is one of THE best teams in the league. Period. 

Like you said, shooting ourselves in the foot cost us, but overall, we played a solid game. 

We need to continue to learn from these experiences, which our coaches, and players, are more than capable of doing. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The coaching was bad, look how much better Myers looks under this staff?  OEL is playing well,has played every game for a team only 4 points back ( and game in hand) of Van and is almost a half point per game player.

Florida has better depth and value contracts.

We could not make it work here with OEL. How do we know he’s not trying harder now because he was bought out and trying to stay in the league?

Are you just trying to argue dumb points today or what?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

Here's the thing about the way we played last night:

For 45 minutes we matched them stride for stride (even better than them 5v5). Then we decided to stash the hockey IQ back in the locker room and try to match them hit for hit. If Juuls just uses his ability, agility and hockey IQ instead of trying to play like their defence and try to punish one of their forwards, we were probably headed for an OT game. Forget about what everyone says is so-called "playoff hockey"...just play smart and fast, you know, the way we've played in most games this year that has made us the best team in the world right now.

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't like paying $5m for a player not to play no.  Why would you?  I'd say he'd look pretty good right now.

Barring a cup, and knowing our fans probably even if we do win a cup, we’re going to hear a lot of this when the buyout cap hit is at 4.7 mil and guys we snapped up with that savings like Cole, Suter and Bleuger are long in the rear view mirror. 

It’s worth mentioning though that Tocchet and management are on the same page - so he was fine with / advocated for OEL being bought out. 

I’m hoping this season convinces some guys to sign with us for maybe a little longer and a little less cap hit.. or in exchange for NTCs or whatever.  Kind of like 2011.  Doubt it will add up to the height of that buyout hit, but it could take some sting off if we choose wisely.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Florida has better depth and value contracts.

We could not make it work here with OEL. How do we know he’s not trying harder now because he was bought out and trying to stay in the league?

Are you just trying to argue dumb points today or what?

OEL is a solid damn, there's no way to dispute that.  Had they held onto him, for this year at least, it would have been a much easier situation to deal with.  Now, they're dealing it for a long long timr

1 minute ago, stawns said:

OEL is a solid damn, there's no way to dispute that.  Had they held onto him, for this year at least, it would have been a much easier situation to deal with.  Now, they're dealing it for a long long timr

Lol no.

And wasted another year of our core in their prime with no guarantees.

I suggest going and watching OEL instead of just looking at stats. He still plays softer than baby shit. I guarantee Tocchett was pushing to dump him behind closed doors.

How anyone could argue with what this management group has accomplished is beyond me. Do you only come out and piss and moan after losses? 😂

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, The Duke said:

Barring a cup, and knowing our fans probably even if we do win a cup, we’re going to hear a lot of this when the buyout cap hit is at 4.7 mil and guys we snapped up with that savings like Cole, Suter and Bleuger are long in the rear view mirror. 

It’s worth mentioning though that Tocchet and management are on the same page - so he was fine with / advocated for OEL being bought out. 

I’m hoping this season convinces some guys to sign with us for maybe a little longer and a little less cap hit.. or in exchange for NTCs or whatever.  Kind of like 2011.  Doubt it will add up to the height of that buyout hit, but it could take some sting off if we choose wisely.

Keeping OELevator would mean 7.2 deadweight. Even the two worst buyout years (4.7) will be offset by a bottom pairing guy, who is helping us more than a 7.2 OELevator, for 1-2 mil. So actually we are paying less for better contribution to winning.Management has a plan. They are proving (we are well ahead of the league) that plan is brilliant. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Lol no.

And wasted another year of our core in their prime with no guarantees.

I suggest going and watching OEL instead of just looking at stats. He still plays softer than baby shit. I guarantee Tocchett was pushing to dump him behind closed doors.

How anyone could argue with what this management group has accomplished is beyond me. Do you only come out and piss and moan after losses? 😂

Lol yes

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think, for sure, he would have been much better this season than last.  And we could use someone with his offensive chops on the 2nd pair.  

We would have then had to pay to move Garland / Boeser / Mikheyev / Myers or something to carve out cap space - unless we’re talking about a completely different strategy entirely.  In which case we back up even more and really sell across the board minus Petey and Hughes or even just Hughes.  Hard to really discuss in an off hand post.

And the current path has been super fun anyways.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Keeping OELevator would mean 7.2 deadweight. Even the two worst buyout years (4.7) will be offset by a bottom pairing guy, who is helping us more than a 7.2 OELevator, for 1-2 mil. So actually we are paying less for better contribution to winning.Management has a plan. They are proving (we are well ahead of the league) that plan is brilliant. 

He's got 25 points, has played every game and is key piece of a top 2 team in the league.  Take you blinders off.......I guess you're happy paying him almost $5m to play somewhere else.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Realistically, right now, I don't see the Canucks as a true playoff contender, they've got some serious work to do and a tough schedule to do it in.  If they can't beat the jets, oilers, knights, avs they're probably not going far in the post season

They can't beat the Oilers eh Strawns. Have another space cake 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

This makes no sense. 7.2 eating popcorn while a 1 mil guy plays is 8.2 allocated to one spot on our bottom pairing. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d say he’s worth about the 3 mil he’s getting now.  He played fine up the lineup with injuries and seems to be 3rd pairing at the moment.  His minutes (and stats) are down since Montour and Ekblad have returned.  He can clearly still play, though.  And his bounce back was a huge reason Florida stayed in the playoff hunt without those two top players.

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think, for sure, he would have been much better this season than last.  And we could use someone with his offensive chops on the 2nd pair.  

We would have then had to pay to move Garland / Boeser / Mikheyev / Myers or something to carve out cap space - unless we’re talking about a completely different strategy entirely.  In which case we back up even more and really sell across the board minus Petey and Hughes or even just Hughes.  Hard to really discuss in an off hand post.

And the current path has been super fun anyways.

No argument there

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's this stretch where those top teams start to go into playoff mode.  Beating them early in the year is good, but doesn't mean much

Well it means you're in an almost surefire playoff position. So, in our situation it actually means a hell of a lot. Now the rest of the games are fairly important as you've alluded to. What is it they always say, the most important game is the next one?

To be honest you can look at is as once the playoffs start the regular season is pretty much meaningless as long as you make it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I’d say he’s worth about the 3 mil he’s getting now.  He played fine up the lineup with injuries and seems to be 3rd pairing at the moment.  His minutes (and stats) are down since Montour and Ekblad have returned.  He can clearly still play, though.  And his bounce back was a huge reason Florida stayed in the playoff hunt without those two top players.

OELevator stinks. He is a softy who will not see playoff minutes. 

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well it means you're in an almost surefire playoff position. So, in our situation it actually means a hell of a lot. Now the rest of the games are fairly important as you've alluded to. What is it they always say, the most important game is the next one?

To be honest you can look at is as once the playoffs start the regular season is pretty much meaningless as long as you make it.

No argument here, they've done a great job getting into a playoff position, but the back 9 was always going to give us the true measuring stick..........we've all been discussing these games against the top teams for months, saying how they're measuring stick games and now that theyve started off badly they suddenly don't mean as much?

• Cheers 1