[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think he'll probably argue that it was a good trade still. 😂

Well, they got garland in that trade, no?  Not mention getting rid of beagle and erikkdon.......all for Dylan guenther.  I'd do that deal again.

Had they had a decent coach, all would have been good 

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

OELevator stinks. He is a softy who will not see playoff minutes. 

If we kept him, we wouldn’t be talking about going for it this year.  

But we could be in a way better position in 3 years - by trading his whole cap hit or buying him out with a much smaller penalty window. 

TBH the decision to buyout OEL was probably made when we extended Miller.  8 mil for a 34 year old Miller + 5 mil dead cap on OEL is going to be tough to navigate.  

That’s also when Hughes’ contract is up.  Of course, 4 years is a lifetime in sports so… who knows.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

If we kept him, we wouldn’t be talking about going for it this year.  

But we could be in a way better position in 3 years - by trading his whole cap hit or buying him out with a much smaller penalty window. 

TBH the decision to buyout OEL was probably made when we extended Miller.  8 mil for a 34 year old Miller + 5 mil dead cap on OEL is going to be tough to navigate.  

That’s also when Hughes’ contract is up.  Of course, 4 years is a lifetime in sports so… who knows.

Why not?  He's playing 19 mins a night on the second place team in the league right now

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why not?  He's playing 19 mins a night on the second place team in the league right now

I think it’s more the other pieces we added with the savings.  Allvin did a great job leveraging a capped out league to land Soucy, Cole, Suter, Bleuger, Laffrety, taking on the whole contract of Zadorov.

People are getting giddy thinking Allvin is a magician - and he’s done great - but most contenders are also capped right out as well. Next year he won’t be able to stroll through the league picking and choosing who he wants - and since most of his acquisitions are UFA he can’t keep everything he picked up this year either.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

I think it’s more the other pieces we added with the savings.  Allvin did a great job leveraging a capped out league to land Soucy, Cole, Suter, Bleuger, Laffrety, taking on the whole contract of Zadorov.

People are getting giddy thinking Allvin is a magician - and he’s done great - but most contenders are also capped right out as well. Next year he won’t be able to stroll through the league picking and choosing who he wants - and since most of his acquisitions are UFA he can’t keep everything he picked up this year either.

I don't disagree there, but the defense would be a lot better too.  "What if" is a useless game to play anyway

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's played 87% of the games the last 3 years ... wrong again.

I dunno in the last 5 years he missed 14,6,18,4,35 the first 2 might have been even more if it wasn’t a shortened season that’s a shit ton of games he missed. That have to be near the top of the league for a player that isn’t out and had a surgery 

Edited by wai_lai416

And for the crowd: I’m not pessimistic about the future even though there’s clear challenges.  Allvin has proven himself to this point, no reason to doubt him.  

In any case, we’re sitting pretty this season and next IMO even with all the UFAs.  We actually have some quality prospects to roll into supporting winger roles.. and I’m hopeful our defencemen are happy to trade a bit of AAV for some job security and a team they like to play for.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

They beat the Rags earlier in the year and I don't consider the Leafs or Canes to be contenders

They beat the Rags on Jan 8th.  Earlier in the year is now a month ago?

Canes are 8th in league standings (2 wins out of 5th overall) and Leafs 10th.  You're throwing your personal opinion into the mix again.  Facts are facts.  Opinions are opinions.  The echo chamber will continue when people refer to facts.

• Vintage 1

All I’m saying is that if Petey and his agent are going to squeeze every penny they can out of this organization, he needs to show up in games like these. 

If you want to get paid up there with the best, you need to lead like them too. 

57 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

.....remember when Benning tried to fix the leaks........giphy.gif (Poor cat btw !)

It’s the system more than personal 

the predicable slow motion drop pass, cycle around the outside no net front 1 shot from the point doesn’t seem to be working. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Here's the thing about the way we played last night:

For 45 minutes we matched them stride for stride (even better than them 5v5). Then we decided to stash the hockey IQ back in the locker room and try to match them hit for hit. If Juuls just uses his ability, agility and hockey IQ instead of trying to play like their defence and try to punish one of their forwards, we were probably headed for an OT game. Forget about what everyone says is so-called "playoff hockey"...just play smart and fast, you know, the way we've played in most games this year that has made us the best team in the world right now.

Good learning lesson for Juuls. I certainly give him credit for having the guts to try it and almost make a spectacular play. Obviously he was a little too late but it'll give him an idea of what he can and what he can't do in a big moment. He's played very well the last stretch while Soucy has been hurt.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They beat the Rags on Jan 8th.  Earlier in the year is now a month ago?

Canes are 8th in league standings (2 wins out of 5th overall) and Leafs 10th.  You're throwing your personal opinion into the mix again.  Facts are facts.  Opinions are opinions.  The echo chamber will continue when people refer to facts.

That was almost two months

2 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

All I’m saying is that if Petey and his agent are going to squeeze every penny they can out of this organization, he needs to show up in games like these. 

If you want to get paid up there with the best, you need to lead like them too. 

I agree he needs to have some team-on-the-back performances in the playoffs before he gets top dollar.  

My ceiling for him of 12 mil isn’t top dollar, though. 

I actually thought ep was noticeable with his scoring chances that didn’t convert. Compared to Hughes miller and boeser. Miller I only remember the hit at the end of the 2nd period Hughes and boeser I don’t remember anything from them in the game. Even mikheyev was more noticeable with his missed chance.

im not too concern with the lost. I’m more concern with how we approach games tied after 2 periods. Including shootouts we have 4 wins to 8 loses when tied after 2 and when trailing after 1 period we are effectively 2-10.. might as well turn off the tv if we ain’t tied or leading after 20

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I agree he needs to have some team-on-the-back performances in the playoffs before he gets top dollar.  

My ceiling for him of 12 mil isn’t top dollar, though. 

What’s consider putting the team on the back though? Most of the games we won handily he doesn’t get praised coz we won handily. Most of the game we lose the entire team was bad including the goalie but he’s singled out. I mean he have 10 game winner.. that’s more than the next 2 combined and only 1 less than the next 3 combined. What’s realistic expectation? He was involved in 6 of the 7 goals against Detroit in 2 games and I still see people ripping him for being trash. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

The coaching was bad, look how much better Myers looks under this staff?  OEL is playing well,has played every game for a team only 4 points back ( and game in hand) of Van and is almost a half point per game player.

Sure, he’s great at 2.25 million but not 7.8.  Soucy played 78 games last year.  Hoping this is just a year of bad luck but he’s been solid when he is in the lineup.  I’d much rather have Soucy with his size and defensive awareness than OEL.  

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is the issue: 

Season 1 Men In Suits GIF by NBC

when it should look like this:

Dance Dancing GIF

Same everywhere, in all sports now...

Years ago Roy Keane called out the Prawn brigade at Old Trafford as the reason for lack of atmosphere...

Big issue when sports gets taken over by suits, who are more interested in being seen, that supporting their team...

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Sure, he’s great at 2.25 million but not 7.8.  Soucy played 78 games last year.  Hoping this is just a year of bad luck but he’s been solid when he is in the lineup.  I’d much rather have Soucy with his size and defensive awareness than OEL.  

He's got 25 points for FLA and they're paying him anyway.  

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

No argument here, they've done a great job getting into a playoff position, but the back 9 was always going to give us the true measuring stick..........we've all been discussing these games against the top teams for months, saying how they're measuring stick games and now that theyve started off badly they suddenly don't mean as much?

I personally was never gung ho over these games myself, in the sense that they were must win games. Yes, we lost, and sure, they're a measuring stick of sorts but we could have played amazing hockey and still lost the game. What then? The season isn't over because we lost 2 out of 82 games. What matters is moving forward. What we needed to do in each game is clear as can be. It's not like we couldn't play with these guys. We just need to be better and clean up our mistakes. Get back on the horse and rebound.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1