[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Ron is familiar. Doesn't mean he's respected or actually good. I liked Tara a lot more as an interviewer.

Only person worse than Ron on HNIC was Cassy Campbell. I really like Jenn on the panel.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Haha, no they aren't.  Junior refs aren't far removed from upper level minor hockey.  

And yet they still conduct themselves with far more professionalism than the vermin infesting the NHL.  They may not always get it right, but at least they aren't openly rigging games.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Doing what, exactly?

I don't know, blabbering? Trying to be a clown (which he usually comes off as). Talking...part of the ol' gentleman's club. Sometime guys get to hang around longer than they should. The Burrows stuff. There are times he's just put his foot in his mouth. Tries too hard to be cool, comes off as a schmoozy jackass. But you can put him on your wall of fame (shame) long with the refs...we don't all have to.

428416997_10160772207285549_708459526154

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Being a straight man for Cherry mostly.

Nope, his main job has been the host of HNIC since the late 80's, after he took over when Dave Hodge got fired.  Coach's corner was a very small part of his duties as host of HNIC

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Only person worse than Ron on HNIC was Cassy Campbell. I really like Jenn on the panel.

Me too. She's not afraid to go against the grain and seems very honest in her analysis.

Along with Juice, they add some credibility to the ship of fools.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He quotes inrelevant facts and name drops like he is the most popular guy in the league. He offers nothing to the panel.  Would much prefer Brian Burke getting a chance; his stories would be pure gold…not second hand nonsense.

Spending your life in something doesn't validate your knowledge. Sometimes it's who you know not what you know.

Just like playing hockey doesn't make you smarter than those who haven't played it...sometime the opposite. You just think you know more.

McLean's become a familiar face of hockey....but he's also past his expiry date. 

I'd love Burke to be on board.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Me too. She's not afraid to go against the grain and seems very honest in her analysis.

Along with Juice, they add some credibility to the ship of fools.

I don’t even hate Hrudy like some; at least he offers some insight and played the game for numerous teams. Ron is just a clown.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Nope, his main job has been the host of HNIC since the late 80's, after he took over when Dave Hodge got fired.  Coach's corner was a very small part of his duties as host of HNIC

Yes, might be time to pack it in. Senility's knocking on the door.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He quotes inrelevant facts and name drops like he is the most popular guy in the league. He offers nothing to the panel.  Would much prefer Brian Burke getting a chance; his stories would be pure gold…not second hand nonsense

He's the host, his job is to facilitate discussion amongst the analysts.

He has the credibility to name drop, he's interviewed the best players in the history of the game.  He also doesnt seem to have any issues getting players to contribute to his books eithet

Edited by stawns

True, but we never had the in depth panel discussions nor the crappy hockey day in Canada/heritage junk until ~ 10 years ago.

The guy’s prominence on HNIC was built by Cherry plain and simple. When the going got tough for Don, Ron stabbed him in the back to protect himself….truly pathetic.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I really don't go for that celebrity worship stuff (echo chamber). I mean Trump has his followers too from his days as a celebrity....means little in reference to his character. You can't use someone's popularity to decide they're a good person....we have sheeple out there who think anyone on TV is awesome.

Celebrity status due to viewership doesn't necessarily equate to "respectable".

I agree. I've met many celebrities in my time. Who cares? 

They're either good people or they can take a flyin' leap. 

Doesn't mean jack to me. 

Most are pretty decent people, but there's some who are just plain and simple morons. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I like her as well and I like Cheryl pounder ( clap clap clapclapclap) on SN too.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

True, but we never had the in depth panel discussions nor the crappy hockey day in Canada/heritage junk until ~ 10 years ago.

The guy’s prominence on HNIC was built by Cherry plain and simple. When the going got tough for Don, Ron stabbed him in the back to protect himself….truly pathetic.

Cherry had mins between periods of a 3 hour telecast.  

Edited by stawns

14 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Does it really need to be the 4th line? We have a bunch of guys that can play that role to give him some shifts on the 3rd or 2nd line for a couple games. We are team that tries to play balanced minutes.

Yes, it needs to be fourth line.

There’s no world where he jumps the queue and bumps someone out of the top six. There’s a third line in place who are skilled, polished, play drivers any of whom would get votes for the teams unsung hero this year.

ABains will need to cut his teeth on the fourth line and there’s nothing to suggest he deserves a leg up on the incumbents there now. Maybe that time will come. I just don’t see it as now.

Just now, stawns said:

I like her as well and I like Cheryl pounder ( clap clap clapclapclap) on SN too.

For sure! The women that did the game early on for espn was awesome too.

Cassy just never could figure when to talk and not…and to discuss stuff that was interesting versus reiterating nonsense. For a colour position, Cheech was the best in my opinion, but Ray is a close second. Tomlinson is a bit of a dud, but at least he knows when to shut up.

3 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Yes, it needs to be fourth line.

There’s no world where he jumps the queue and bumps someone out of the top six. There’s a third line in place who are skilled, polished, play drivers any of whom would get votes for the teams unsung hero this year.

ABains will need to cut his teeth on the fourth line and there’s nothing to suggest he deserves a leg up on the incumbents there now. Maybe that time will come. I just don’t see it as now.

I’d try him in Suter’s place on the 2nd for shifts. If he clicks, it’s a win win; 2nd and 4th line gets better.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't, my arguments don't change win or lose.  

Just put us all out of our misery...quite making us guess and just tell us, which NHL team do you actually cheer for?

This is the business of ENTERTAINMENT. Unless you have some sort of financial stake in the success of this team, it's merely ENTERTAINMENT. If you don't find this thrill ride we're on this year entertaining, then maybe skydiving from hot air balloons high up in the stratosphere is more your thing. I for one am thoroughly entertained by the current rendition of this team, and if we flame out in the first round of the playoffs I will still be ENTERTAINED. But you be you, I'll just be me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • chaos 1

Just now, ABNuck said:

Just put us all out of our misery...quite making us guess and just tell us, which NHL team do you actually cheer for?

This is the business of ENTERTAINMENT. Unless you have some sort of financial stake in the success of this team, it's merely ENTERTAINMENT. If you don't find this thrill ride we're on this year entertaining, then maybe skydiving from hot air balloons high up in the stratosphere is more your thing. I for one am thoroughly entertained by the current rendition of this team, and if we flame out in the first round of the playoffs I will still be ENTERTAINED. But you be you, I'll just be me...

I've likely been cheering for the Canucks longer than most here have been alive.

So you're giving me permission to have an opinion?  Thats mighty kind of you and mord than a little weird that you felt the need to declare that publicly

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I’d try him in Suter’s place on the 2nd for shifts. If he clicks, it’s a win win; 2nd and 4th line gets better.

I have a much more conservative projection for ABains but will be quite happy to be wrong in either the short, or long haul.

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The 4th line, you would think. 

But, having Suter as the 4th line center automatically strengthens the team. 

If either Bains or Podkolzin can add to the 2nd line, all the better. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

The 4th line, you would think. 

But, having Suter as the 4th line center automatically strengthens the team. 

If either Bains or Podkolzin can add to the 2nd line, all the better. 

I do think bains and garland might have chemistry as they both think the game in a similar way and have complimentary skill sets.  I do also think he could fit with miller and boes as well.  He's an incredibly cerebral player with high skill and a great motor

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1