★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild • Feb 19, 2024

Jaimito

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I really like the raw honesty that both of these guys bring.

No beating around the bush, just straight up good communication. 

Love Tocchet, he brings a good balance of coaching and listening....gets feedback and info from his players that helps him do his job. Not all coaches are open to that. Ego can get in the way..."I'm the coach" stuff of authority (mongering). Bruce was maybe too good a guy....less coach, more friend. Loved him, but Tocch's giving them some good structure and tools for the toolbox.

It's a good thing Miller didn't get canceled and run out of town. We're also fortunate that management committed to making the uncomfortable decision with Bruce. 

Tocchet was exactly what Miller needed and what the team needed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Yes, but the L will be a learning experience, as they like to say 🤪 

I HATE that. I’m not being negative towards the team but Fuc me there’s nothing worse than a coach who uses losses as “learning” experiences. Like no, you are the number 1 seed in the league. Go out and play like it. 

I’m still overly enjoyed by the team this year. Regardless of bad play lately. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Some parts of this schedule just make you go WTF?

They play 4 games in 6 days and they don’t even get to play at their regular time at home.

11:00, 6:00, 7:00, 4:00

Actual footage of the schedule makers when making the Canucks schedule:

Costume Party Laugh GIF by Halloween Party

bettman.jpg

The power play is stale bread. The pp 1 group needs to not get stuck on the set plays. Find the set plays in motion. Otherwise they are too predictable to stop. Free flowing movement keying from 43 but everyone on alert for the open space. Huggy can carry to open up space. Leave the bumper up for grabs and see who gets open. Work the puck around and read it into the crease. Standing around waiting for a pass isn't good.

4 minutes ago, Jim McMahon said:

I HATE that. I’m not being negative towards the team but Fuc me there’s nothing worse than a coach who uses losses as “learning” experiences. Like no, you are the number 1 seed in the league. Go out and play like it. 

I’m still overly enjoyed by the team this year. Regardless of bad play lately. 

Yes but he wasn't wrong.

It is a learning experience. They let the emotion of that game carry them away and they became focused on the wrong things. 

They played really well last game, until they fell apart in frustration. They out shot, out hit and, except for the pp, outplayed the Jets for stretches. It was by no means a bad game by them.

When it was 2-2 they were very much in it. Then the wheels fell off. That's a lesson to be learned....to not lose composure because the other team's goading them into that. Stay the course.

Personally, I'm glad they fought back but it took a toll and they got caught up in that game. Refs were ass, so that was part of it.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, tas said:

do people lose sight of just how difficult it is to schedule 82 games for 32 teams over 6 months in buildings they share with countless other events?

let's cut the schedule makers a little slack maybe. 

Well, I looked at the schedule and compare with other teams, I figured that they could easily swap around the calendar and still make it work and making sense.   Enough said.  No excuses for not doing their due diligence.  They don't really double or triple check their own work.  I have seen the patterns of schedule for example, season opener always the same teams, around holidays, same team match-up, for example facing Detroit was on same month after the all-stars two years in a row, Flyers always after Christmas, Columbus, just before the all-star break, same thing.   They are just too lazy to actually put an effort on using different schedule every year that actually favor the Eastern teams.  This year, we just struck gold with 9 games homestand.  Could easily put a split with a quick road trip to Seattle in March but no, they choose to put it as a part of 3 games roadies this week.  Just an example of little things.  

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, the screaming mass out there....flying airplanes and blowing smoke, aren't all the best judges. They like to hear themselves and turn the volume up.

The powers that be knew what Miller was. A heart and soul player who, yes, sometimes let the emotions take over....but for all the right reasons. He hates losing. That's a guy you want on your team...one who's all in.

Miller already knew that he danced on the line and what pushed him to excel also pushed him over the edge at times. It wasn't something he was unaware of...Tocchet helped remind him at times and did it the right way. Not poking at him or yelling....letting him know he needed a cool down period. And he did.

But I'd hate him to ever lose that edge and know he isn't the type who will. It's what makes him great (too).

There's a huge lesson to be learned from all of that if some fans are willing to look in the mirror.

A lot of it is about not running away from the uncomfortable and leaning into it to learn and be better. 

They chose the right player invest in for the future against the pressure of the noise. Also the coach.

Good times!

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The power play is stale bread. The pp 1 group needs to not get stuck on the set plays. Find the set plays in motion. Otherwise they are too predictable to stop. Free flowing movement keying from 43 but everyone on alert for the open space. Huggy can carry to open up space. Leave the bumper up for grabs and see who gets open. Work the puck around and read it into the crease. Standing around waiting for a pass isn't good.

JT's good at moving things around and getting different looks.

Petey's too predictable....love him, but he used to use subtle little moves to open up space for himself. He's just not as effective when he's standing there, waiting.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainQuin said:

Nope , he’s just up to practise and travel with the team 

Shows you how hard it is to crack the line-up, it will make them better for next season.  Will help them a lot more if it became difficult to crack in the line-up.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

There's a huge lesson to be learned from all of that if some fans are willing to look in the mirror.

A lot of it is about not running away from the uncomfortable and leaning into it to learn and be better. 

They chose the right player invest in for the future against the pressure of the noise. Also the coach.

Good times!

mirror-baby.gif

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Wonder if Myers will be awake for this game...... Bed GIF

I really liked his play last game....I'm pulling for him to do well.

I just wish he could lay a hit without the refs hating on him. Bunch of lions.

• chaos 3

Just now, -dlc- said:

JT's good at moving things around and getting different looks.

Petey's too predictable....love him, but he used to use subtle little moves to open up space for himself. He's just not as effective when he's standing there, waiting.

Yeah standing there ain't good. I was thinking like the movement in basketball drills. Make the defense work harder.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

I really liked his play last game....I'm pulling for him to do well.

I just wish he could lay a hit without the refs hating on him. Bunch of lions.

He has been playing a bit better - I have to admit - but he'll always remain "Chaos Giraffe" in our hearts.    

• chaos 1