★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild • Feb 19, 2024

Jaimito

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Let's just hope the officiating is better today than it was in the last game.

Yes, the game's being officiated by a Roomba and a 97 year old senior from the Glad Gardens retirement home. 

Should be much better as a result.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Teams are figuring them out...happens when you're on top. They start watching film and what was effective may start being predictable, that's all. The secret's out.

Also, give credit to some great goaltending....Hellebuyck was good. It's not just about what we're (not) doing, it's what they're doing.

I think they are playing great. It’s just the pp have been very static and there’s like 0 difference in all the other years.. not even sure what’s the issue.. they are very reluctant to change

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sorry Higgy but I thought Boudreau was a disaster in Van. I saw a lot of old school and saw little attempt to bring any coherence into the d-zone while he was here. His coaching record says he was capable so maybe I am off base. I didn’t see the vets embracing his game. The difference with Tocchet running things is like night and day. Maybe Tocchet was given more leeway and resources?

I seem to recall mentioning this in a prior thread, but Boudreau was actually much needed at the time he joined the Canucks.  After what the team went through during the Benning-Green era, a lot of players seemed to have lost the passion to play.  What Boudreau brought was the ability to help the players regain their passion in the game.  His only real fault was that he doesn't know how to coach defense or defensive systems, but allowing the players to play to what they felt were their strengths helped them regain confidence and passion.  

I'm not a fan of how he was let go, but I do agree that Dick Tocch is probably the right "next coach" to take over the reins because he's all about structure and system.  So after the rejuvination of the players under Boudreau, and the subsequent change of coaching staff, the players would likely have been more receptive to a teardown and restructure towards defensive systems afterwards.  To go straight from a Green systems approach to a Dick Tocch systems approach without a chance for the players to find their passion again likely would've been not well received, and would likely take longer for them to reach this point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1