★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild • Feb 19, 2024

Jaimito

23 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, he's probably having to bite his tongue in how he really feels. Imac and Myers sort of opening up a bit about it.

That game was horribly officiated and contributed to the end result...although our pp didn't help.

So, while it's not an excuse, it's a factor. Sadly, this team doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in calls a lot of the time, so it is a learning experience. To keep calm and carry on when that happens.

He and the team know what's up. He doesn't have to show his real feelings in interviews....I'd prefer he just give them the canned responses and take the high road. It doesn't do us any good to do it any other way.

Green did that when we were awful....this team is a bit different. And they can be cut an excuse for losing a game...they've earned it. The coach isn't too concerned and I'm not sure we should be. They played a good, tough game and lost. It's ok.

We can’t win them all Deb ! 

• Like 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I seem to recall mentioning this in a prior thread, but Boudreau was actually much needed at the time he joined the Canucks.  After what the team went through during the Benning-Green era, a lot of players seemed to have lost the passion to play.  What Boudreau brought was the ability to help the players regain their passion in the game.  His only real fault was that he doesn't know how to coach defense or defensive systems, but allowing the players to play to what they felt were their strengths helped them regain confidence and passion.  

I'm not a fan of how he was let go, but I do agree that Dick Tocch is probably the right "next coach" to take over the reins because he's all about structure and system.  So after the rejuvination of the players under Boudreau, and the subsequent change of coaching staff, the players would likely have been more receptive to a teardown and restructure towards defensive systems afterwards.  To go straight from a Green systems approach to a Dick Tocch systems approach without a chance for the players to find their passion again likely would've been not well received, and would likely take longer for them to reach this point.

Very good insight! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1