[Speculation] Jacob Truscott Won’t Sign With Canucks, Set To Become UFA This Summer

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Why would anyone trade anything for him when he's already announced his intention to test free agency? If he was an Adam Fox level prospect, sure. But I can't see it in this case.  No big loss 

To get a jump on such a big prize before free agency? 😄

• Haha 1

Who is this guy, drafted in the 5th round, to just be like "I'm not signing with you". He was given an opportunity to be drafted by an NHL organization in the Canucks. I wasn't even expecting Turcott to make it to the NHL, and if he happened to have done so, would've been either a bottom pairing defenseman, or a depth player (basically a journeyman). No biggie. Not a big loss. Canucks brass will just draft another player in the 5th round in this year's draft - which I ain't following cause we barely have any picks left lol. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Who is this guy, drafted in the 5th round, to just be like "I'm not signing with you". He was given an opportunity to be drafted by an NHL organization in the Canucks. I wasn't even expecting Turcott to make it to the NHL, and if he happened to have done so, would've been either a bottom pairing defenseman, or a depth player (basically a journeyman). No biggie. Not a big loss. Canucks brass will just draft another player in the 5th round in this year's draft - which I ain't following cause we barely have any picks left lol. 

I don't mind guys exercising their rights, he's a long shot to make it and if a new club gives him a bit better shot, that's cool. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Interesting feedback, mostly negative, on Truscot's alleged decision not to sign. I read an article on line which purported that the Canucks informed Truscot that they weren't going to sign him.

What are the real facts before this forum lambastes a young player for maybe exercising his rights?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, robr1can2 said:

Interesting feedback, mostly negative, on Truscot's alleged decision not to sign. I read an article on line which purported that the Canucks informed Truscot that they weren't going to sign him.

What are the real facts before this forum lambastes a young player for maybe exercising his rights?

It's just a few fans that have some rejection issues; not the 'forum'.  There is a huge number of

members on this forum; most of whom will not comment on this thread.

It's unlikely that Truscot would reach the NHL as a Canuck, if you consider the depth the team

has at LD.  He will likely spend a few years in the AHL, so as an American (born and bred in

Michigan), why not attempt to find a club that has a minor team in a more suitable location.

Makes sense to me and I wish him all the very best.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe we can move him to San Jose, Chicago, or Arizona for a 4th or 5th round pick to salvage the situation?

It's already been leaked that he wants to pick the team he plays for.  So any of the above are taking on a risk of giving away a pick for nothing.  His market value has become practically nil.  

My opinion is that a lot of these college kids have been developed somewhat and trained very well for a number of years in college but they think that they're farther along than they really are.  They also tend to be on the small side.  Hirose for example, felt he was NHL ready and showed reasonably well at the end of last season and has played 10 games with the big club.  Given the clubs NHL depth this year he's probably 8th or so on the depth chart (after they added Big Z) so, in order to keep his development going, they're playing him lots of minutes in Abbotsford.  He's 24 years old, 6'0" and 170 lbs.  So, less able to clear the net front than our captain.

1 hour ago, robr1can2 said:

I agree

I read that too. Now it’s getting spin doctored the other way.

And honestly, I don’t blame him. We have quite a few LD prospects.

The article mentioned and correctly points out we have Kurdaseyav (spelling??), Mynio, D Petey. All 3 could be heading to the AHL very soon. And Truscott would be in their way development wise, being older and having less upside.

Wish him the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sell.the.team said:

I don't really understand why any player you draft is not under strict team control for XX years if all the proper qualificaitons are made... sort of silly.

I actually don’t understand why teams should have long term control over a human being and their ability to make a living.

They are literally making multi million dollar decisions on behalf of these kids and dramatically impacting their lives.

I think the draft should take place at an older age (like the NFL) and give more limited club control.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I actually don’t understand why teams should have long term control over a human being and their ability to make a living.

They are literally making multi million dollar decisions on behalf of these kids and dramatically impacting their lives.

I think the draft should take place at an older age (like the NFL) and give more limited club control.

Over the years I have found myself in sync with many of your opinions, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Good leagues promote team-building through drafts.  In order for draft capital to be valuable, it must give the teams control over their picks.  This rewards solid drafting and developing which should be encouraged.  If players can just pick where they play right out of the gate (or soon after) then you end up with a pretty uneven playing field pretty quickly.

Edited by Sell.the.team

4 hours ago, Provost said:

sure, but if you limit team control that way, the owners are to going to want movement in how guaranteed contracts are.

On 2/19/2024 at 12:23 AM, Iron Fist said:

Is he even worth signing?

For the Canucks sure, for him a lot would have to go absolutely perfect for him to make the roster, maybe going to a team like Anaheim for example he has an easier chance to crack the roster. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:50 AM, N4ZZY said:

Its a loss no doubt about it, this management and scouting group were really hoping to develop him. He has a lot of good tools for a modern defenseman and will get a better shot elsewhere sure but this is not a player the team thinks " oh well, meh " about losing.