★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild. Feb 19 (Fan Psychotherapy Edition)

Just now, Blue said:

Utterly daft comment. Petey had 4 points the other night. And took over a game. 

The problem with Petey is he no longer look dynamic. 

That perception is causing the most frustration with him. Also getting points in bunches in one game and barely anything in another doesn't help either. 

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

4.2 GAA & .829 sv% since January. Absolutely horrible. 

And how many games has he played ? The league average was under 900 not that long ago. 

This reactionary bullshit is pure cringe. Backup goalies have rough stretches sometimes. He was lights out for half the season and part of the reason why we lead the fucking league 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Which ones are you talking about? The blatant high stick to the face with absolutely no one around to begin the mayhem? Not even a puck in sight, that certainly was 100% a penalty, as was the Miller gaffe. No question about it. The 2-man adv one in the first period was definitely of the weaker variety but it really had zero bearing on the game. They didn't score and we went up by two shortly after. 

The Petterson one we made a dumb play on the PK and were scrambling like mothrf#$kers to get back in the play while they almost scored. So I'm not sure where people are getting these phantom calls from. The referees have no leeway on those. They were bad judgements on the Canucks players behalf plain and simple.

I'd suggest Lindholms roughing call is bs.... and still fail to fathom, why the play isn't stopped with DeSmith laying on the puck...

Other than that I think its all penalties, while I think Peteys hooking is soft, bearing in mind we were on the PK and already had 2 5on3s...

In the end we still shouldn't have conceded 7 goals in the 3rd...

Back on the horse, and learn from this... Stupid penalties cost us....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

The problem with Petey is he no longer look dynamic. 

That perception is causing the most frustration with him. Also getting points in bunches in one game and barely anything in another doesn't help either. 

If Mackinnon is so perfect , why isn't Colorado leading the league ? Why aren't they even close ?

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

And how many games has he played ? The league average was under 900 not that long ago. 

This reactionary bullshit is pure cringe. Backup goalies have rough stretches sometimes. He was lights out for half the season and part of the reason why we lead the fucking league 

Its a bit hard to judge the goalie with that much 5 on 3 play as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Goaltending and poor special teams have created this bad run.....but the refs didn't help.  4 x 5 on 3s is ridiculous, but then most of the penalties were justified.  Why the whistle wasn't blown on two occasions with the scramble in front of the net is the biggest head-scratcher.  Why Tocchet didn't call a time out is another head-scratcher.  But I loved the fact that a number of players were still playing to win when down 3 goals.  Minny played well but they had a lot of help with some lucky bounces and some timely 5-on-3s.  Momentum can be a bitch and the Canucks found themselves hitting a wall of bad luck.

Some random thoughts:

- this team is not a cup contender the way they've been playing even before the Boston game.  They've found ways to win but they haven't been the same since the All-Star break.  The third line has propped them up and that masked some issues that have grown. The guys need to stop travelling and to get some practices in.  Soon we'll see as rested of a team as possible late in a season.

- those who think Joshua isn't integral to this team's success are proving to be delusional.  Say what you want but our PK is way better with him on it.  Not to mention the third line looks pretty mediocre right now.  For those who would trade Joshua or Garland before Mikheyev, you've got to be drunk.  I'd be shocked if PA doesn't find a way to trade Mikheyev before the end of the season.  Pick up another Joshua player up please (more assertive, more versatile and lower cost)....we could use one on the JT line too.

- Man I hope to see the Lotto line again for a bit.  Or at least find a better fit with JT and BB.  I really like Suter on this team, but on the fourth line, not the JT line.

- Signing EP to a $12M/yr or similar contract would be the path towards another grim decade.  I love EP on this team.  He wins games for us.  But he's not consistently playing good D from game to game.  One can say that he should get more than JT and Hughes but 150% of their salaries is ridiculous for EP right now.

- I may not be popular for saying this right now but the goaltending tandem looks very ordinary right now.  I'm hoping it's just fatigue with travel, but it is concerning nonetheless.  They've been hung out to dry more lately, but they also look to be reacting more than positionally sound.  They've had some unlucky bounces, but often those get saved anyway when positionally / structurally sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Blue said:

If Mackinnon is so perfect , why isn't Colorado leading the league ? Why aren't they even close ?

Where did I mention Mackinnon?

I am pointing out why some have ussue with Petey. He fails the eye test cause of lack dynamicisim. 

He just doesn't look cerebral out there like Hughes or one would expect for a franchise player.

He is clearly still effective and looks fine on the score sheet. 

8 games in 14 days (6 road and 2 home)...yikes. reminds me a lot of the November slow down when it was game after game.

They need to focus tomorrow and get a win somehow. 

Canucks have played the most games in the league, they'll get more rest heading into March. Only one more back-to-back left after tomorrow!

• Like 1

Not sure I've ever watched a game that featured three hat tricks before, wild game overall

The Wild's previous record for most goals in a game (regular season or playoffs) was 8: https://stathead.com/tiny/Etqvi

Today's game was the first NHL game since 1993 where multiple players had 6+ points: https://stathead.com/tiny/FOYcQ

The Canucks' 7 goals scored is tied for the most in a loss in franchise history: https://stathead.com/tiny/Yd9n9

First NHL game since 2005 that a team had at least 4 players with 4+ points: https://stathead.com/tiny/tM7R3

This was the 6th time since 2000 that a team has had 7 goals in a period: https://stathead.com/tiny/OGMSV

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Some unlucky bounces today but, like anyone would, his confidence dropped off of the cliff and he didn't look sharp in this game.  I've thought his game has dropped off over the past month or so but same with Demko's (despite winning and having some beauty saves & games here and there).  I keep thinking the schedule is to blame and things will improve in the coming weeks.  Perhaps my eye test doesn't match the stats as well.....haven't looked.

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

Where did I mention Mackinnon?

You said Petey was brutally overrated. Compared to what ? I brought up Mackinon to try and put some context to your ill thought out statement 

3 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

8 games in 14 days (6 road and 2 home)...yikes. reminds me a lot of the November slow down when it was game after game.

Canucks have played the most games in the league, they'll get more rest heading into March. Only one more back-to-back left after tomorrow!

Canucks have played 57 vs Ottawa's 51. Weird scheduling. But yes, hopefully fewer games later in the schedule will be to their advantage.

Just now, Blue said:

You said Petey was brutally overrated. Compared to what ? I brought up Mackinon to try and put some context to your ill thought out statement 

Dude I didn't say he was brutally overrated. That was someone else. 

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

LOL, sure.

Yes, the refs were awesome. I love their ability to see covered pucks, that's incredible. Skillz. 100 people piled up in the crease but they still managed to find the puck in there from20 feet behind with their eyes closed.

And I especially loved it when they blew down play for that goal we almost missed that they made up. Whew, thank God they're on the ball though. Petey got a penalty for them almost missing that.

They make some mistakes like regular people. I guess maybe they could have blown that dead in your perfect world. Sure, I could tell where the puck was myself and I didn't have any problem with it though. What I did have a problem with was the stupid penalty that put us in that situation to begin with.

Your logic doesn't make any sense in your haste to be angry. They got the non goal correct did they not, and the penalty was called long before they had even called it a goal? He didn't get a penalty for them almost missing that? Do you know how ludicrous that sounds? It's hard to take you seriously when you're getting all constantly mad at the refs and then come up with crazy stuff like this to justify your rants.

4 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Not many road games left (5), but super annoying that they play a home game against Boston with a shorter turnaround having a 4pm game.  Crikey, that takes away some of the home advantage right there.  But, a 9 game stretch at home before the playoffs should position them well for rest and practices leading into the post-season.

This was the most bizarre game I've seen in years. The team is battling adversity right now but they need to bounce back either tomorrow or against Seattle. If they don't, you can bet a long losing streak is coming that will likely knock us out of the top spot in the league and the conference.

I don't mind so much the calls against us, it's more the non calls against them that irked me.

Plus that non-whistle to stop the play. 

I could go on, but several of you have already beat that horse to death. 

37 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'm really beginning to wonder just how much the players loved Kuzmenko- don't seem the same since he left.

I feared him leaving big time. That kind of energy is rare and can really pump up a team. 

I am on record, from the beginning of the season, saying that he and Petey might not be Tocc type guys. 

That said, we have had such an amazing season that I accept that the brass are doing the right things. How could I moan at the results so far? it has been great. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1