★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild. Feb 19 (Fan Psychotherapy Edition)

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

Maybe about time fans start throwing beer at them again to show their displeasure... 

If they're bad at their job, then they should know about it.

And fans have every right to voice and demonstrate their displeasure. If you don't want beer on you, then maybe the refs do better at their job. In any other space in life, those guys would have been fired for their incompetency. Especially if it's a pattern in their reffing. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This won’t be a popular opinion but I think the refs got this call right. The puck was never covered up by DeSmith at any point in this wild scramble and when Cole tried to jump on the puck, it kept sliding out from under him. While play is supposed to be called when the referee loses sight of the puck, referee Jon McIsaac is right on top of the play and seems to have a clear line of sight the entire time. I just don’t think the puck was ever frozen long enough to draw a whistle.

That's a pretty reasonable explanation.

I actually kinda agree with this, except the highlighted part. If a team is down to 5 against 3 for the 4th time, you don't speak about covering the puck ' long enough' to draw a whistle.... The refs knows themselves they are now in unchartered territory, and should use common sense, similar to call soft penalties to even it up... that is quite normal, so they don't become the dominant factor. 
Maybe just maybe because the goalie was so far out of his net, but still... 

The whistles normally quickly, although it has to be said, there was a acamble earlier in the game, in front of the Wilds hoal, that didn't get blown down neither, even though it was hard to see the puck for anyone. 
Its just the fact that when a team is down to a 5 on 3 for the 4th time, refs would normally use a bit of game management, when posible.... 

Regardless, its done and dusted and the boys have a chance to bounce back tonight... now we'll see, what they are made of... they've been good this far to bounce back after 1 or 2 losses, so it'll be interesting. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Myers shouldn't have said anything. It's Burrows Auger all over again.

Not really ... Auger took a pre-game skate with Burrows, Burr didn't initiate their little chat.

And I'm glad Myers did what he did...something has to be said. Whether it hurts us or not...wasn't like we were getting great officiating. It's time this league wake up and realize they can't pull their stunts...they'll lose fans and revenue mighty quick if they think we're tuning in to watch their gong show. 

I know they don't care but they better start caring. 

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This won’t be a popular opinion but I think the refs got this call right. The puck was never covered up by DeSmith at any point in this wild scramble and when Cole tried to jump on the puck, it kept sliding out from under him. While play is supposed to be called when the referee loses sight of the puck, referee Jon McIsaac is right on top of the play and seems to have a clear line of sight the entire time. I just don’t think the puck was ever frozen long enough to draw a whistle.

That's a pretty reasonable explanation.

Wrong. See the video I posted for the real deal.

It's a bad look when a franchise and its fans complain about the refs constantly. And it's been this way for decades. Canucks Twitter is toxic, radio text lines are crazy, 

.. we have a statue of Roger waiving the white towel... at the refs.

It's not a good look. Refs have a tough job and hockey is a fast game. Shit happens, move on.

Watch other games, officiating is rarely consistent. It's not just against the Canucks.

I hate the cry baby stereotype Canucks fans have around the league, cause I'm not one.

End the stereo type. It's one thing to be ticked off about a call and chant ref you suck in the crowd. But to constantly complain about conspiracies against the Canucks and flood these opinions on social media and the radio talk shows is .. such.. a .. bad.. look.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's a bad look when a franchise and its fans complain about the refs constantly. And it's been this way for decades. Canucks Twitter is toxic, radio text lines are crazy, 

It's not a good look. Refs have a tough job and hockey is a fast game. Shit happens, move on.

Watch other games, officiating is rarely consistent. It's not just against the Canucks.

I hate the cry baby stereotype Canucks fans have around the league, cause I'm not one.

End the stereo type. It's one thing to be ticked off about a call and chant ref you suck in the crowd. But to constantly complain about conspiracies against the Canucks and flood these opinions on social media and the radio talk shows is .. such.. a .. bad.. look.

I would be inclined to agree with this if it wasn’t for the following series’

-Chicago 2009

-Chicago 2010

-Chicago 2011

-Boston 2011

-Los Angeles 2012

-San Jose 2013

The treatment that the Canucks received in all six of those series was basically on the same toxic level that many minorities face in the United States with regards to racist treatment.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Canucks fans wouldn’t have to complain if the refs did even a half decent job.

Theres a long list of grievances from Canucks fans. Asking for us to be quiet after all the BS calls over the years is not realistic. We’re fans after all, we’re gonna be pissed off when the refs screw us. That’s part of sports across any league. Just ask 49ers fans…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

I actually kinda agree with this, except the highlighted part. If a team is down to 5 against 3 for the 4th time, you don't speak about covering the puck ' long enough' to draw a whistle.... The refs knows themselves they are now in unchartered territory, and should use common sense, similar to call soft penalties to even it up... that is quite normal, so they don't become the dominant factor. 
Maybe just maybe because the goalie was so far out of his net, but still... 

The whistles normally quickly, although it has to be said, there was a acamble earlier in the game, in front of the Wilds hoal, that didn't get blown down neither, even though it was hard to see the puck for anyone. 
Its just the fact that when a team is down to a 5 on 3 for the 4th time, refs would normally use a bit of game management, when posible.... 

Regardless, its done and dusted and the boys have a chance to bounce back tonight... now we'll see, what they are made of... they've been good this far to bounce back after 1 or 2 losses, so it'll be interesting. 

I suppose that's fair, although I don't just automatically expect the refs to even it up for a team because they got themselves in penalty trouble. I understand the point you're making though. I was personally so past being upset at the team for taking idiotic penalties I simply couldn't have cared less to care at that point. Then they followed it up by quitting on the next 3 goals. Total horseshit execution and effort.

Enjoy the game tonight Spook, I hope we win. I can't stand the non-stop whining in here, I come for the hockey part, so I'm out for awhile.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

I hear what you are saying, but other sports have more transparency when it comes to bad calls.  NHL officiating is like a vacuum chamber.  The fans are left frustrated as they don’t know what’s going on.  I get that hockey is the toughest sport to officiate but man, some of those calls were so bad, it bordered on pure incompetence.  I too don’t believe there is a conspiracy from the NHL in general.  But refs are human beings with emotions and acquired biases.  Making them accountable and requiring them to provide explanations for their calls would go a long way to making the officiating more fair and consistent.

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Pycnotic said:

it’s bad in all sports, there’s a reason the nfl is registered as “entertainment” instead of sport, fixing through officiating is nothing new, though prior to this year NFL, NBA were  worse but the NHL has surpassed them by a mile 

Do you honestly believe that NHL games are fixed, and that referees deliberately determine the outcome of games? If so, I gots questions for you:

1. Which of the 32 owners would accept "the league" arranging for some teams to win and some to lose?

2. Since every action requires a purpose, what purpose would be served by fixing games?

3. Do you think Gary Bettman gives a fat rat's ass who wins, as long as it sells out?

4. Do you think the NHL is working with betting sites to fix games?

5. Why do you think Vancouver is on the league's "Let's screw these guys over" list?

6. Can you provide a list of specific calls that prove your point that the NHL is worse than the NFL and NBA for corrupt referees?

Here's the deal. Referees do their best to interpret the action on the ice within the framework of the rule book. They get most calls right, they miss some that they did not see and they make horrifically bad calls from time to time. They are subject to the same human frailties as anybody else and to expect them to never make a mistake isn't fair or reasonable. On balance, each team gets bad calls that mostly even out over the course of a season. There is no conspiracy to put obstacles in Vancouver's way. None.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

A good practice game.

Tocchet want them to act proffessionally under pressure and they showed they need to do that.

Great game as a practise for the players.

Spot on...

You need to fight adversity... nothing is given to you. 

They just have to let it go, just like the defeat to Pegs and learn from it...

Take it on the chin... we've seen this film lots of times during playoffs, and you have to rise above it... 

I'm quite sure they have the senior players in the team, that have been there and done that, that will help them overcome any issues or hanging faces...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I suppose that's fair, although I don't just automatically expect the refs to even it up for a team because they got themselves in penalty trouble. I understand the point you're making though. I was personally so past being upset at the team for taking idiotic penalties I simply couldn't have cared less to care at that point. Then they followed it up by quitting on the next 3 goals. Total horseshit execution and effort.

Enjoy the game tonight Spook, I hope we win. I can't stand the non-stop whining in here, I come for the hockey part, so I'm out for awhile.

Cheers amigo. Likewise, enjoy the game...

I agree, crying over spilt milk doesn't change anything......better play, and less dumb penalties will do that...

If you let you heads drop, just because them refs are bad, then we may as well pack up already.

See you around 🙂

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I would be inclined to agree with this if it wasn’t for the following series’

-Chicago 2009

-Chicago 2010

-Chicago 2011

-Boston 2011

-Los Angeles 2012

-San Jose 2013

The treatment that the Canucks received in all six of those series was basically on the same toxic level that many minorities face in the United States with regards to racist treatment.

I'm getting as angry as anyone, when I feel we don't get, what we deserve. However, we need, or more importantly the team need to be able to overcome these problems. We know, what happens, if we don't... We've been there and done that, worn the T-shirt...

Only way to overcome it, is to be better... 

Soft penalties, like Lindholms if frustrating and irritating, but they happen... Get better at killing the penalties instead. 

Our first goal was a blatant pick by Myers, and could just as well have been a penalty for him.

During the game I feel we were being victimised, but as the red mist lifted, I have to agree with a few controversy posters, that a lot of the penalties were blatant pens, that were self inflicted... Except for Lindholms 'soft' roughing and Zads soft hooking, I think they were all pens that should be called, and had it been the other way around, we would be screaming murder...

High sticking and puck over the glass happens, but they will always (or nearly always) be called.

In Boston we didn't score on our chances, while Bruins did... The off ice refereeing was sickening, but don't think the on ice were particular bad for Canucks... a few dodgy one, but in general no so much... 

San Jose was worse... really annoyed about that one.

Nevertheless, complaining about the refs in the press, all be it warranted, never helps.... if anything that is something we should have learned by now.

If it really gets bad, let the club speak outside the press to the NHL... 

• Upvote 1