[GDT] Tues Feb 20 2024 - Vancouver Canucks @ Colorado Avs - 6:00pm PT/9:00pm ET - Denver

OldFaithfulcap

From cruising along and finding themselves the number #1 team in the league at the All Star break with #1 in goals for and @3 in goals against, to playing .500 hockey in February. All the Canucks stats have slid down. GF from 1st to 3rd, GA from 3rd to 5th, and PP from 8th? to 12th. Not sure on PK, but lately it has been brutally bad.

Playing .500 hockey and losing to Boston and Winnipeg. All 4 loses were 4 goals against or more. Now playing our worst game all season against a .500 hockey team. 

• Is it the pressure of teams playing them harder?
  • Is it players changing their team play based on who they are playing ( getting too amped up against Boston and Winnipeg and then choking with subpar team play.
  • Is it the stress of being number 1 in the league and realizing how tough the schedule will be up until the playoffs?
  • Is it feeling the pressure of shifting from just playing well to 'what are we going to do in the playoffs?"
  • Is it teams figuring Canuck's players out. It seems like most of the Canucks stars have been cooling off - Hughes scoring less and players pressing him more. Boeser stuck at 30 goals. He's had 1 goal in all Feb ( 9 games )
  • Is it Casey DeSmith not propping us up as he did previously. Last 10 games he's SV% has been between .680 and 1.000. Demko's SV% has also had a very wide fluctuation from .700 to 1.000. Pressure? How players are playing vs the Canucks and the goalies?
Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

55 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

From cruising along and finding themselves the number #1 team in the league at the All Star break with #1 in goals for and @3 in goals against, to playing .500 hockey in February. All the Canucks stats have slid down. GF from 1st to 3rd, GA from 3rd to 5th, and PP from 8th? to 12th. Not sure on PK, but lately it has been brutally bad.

Playing .500 hockey and losing to Boston and Winnipeg. All 4 loses were 4 goals against or more. Now playing our worst game all season against a .500 hockey team. 

• Is it the pressure of teams playing them harder?
  • Is it players changing their team play based on who they are playing ( getting too amped up against Boston and Winnipeg and then choking with subpar team play.
  • Is it the stress of being number 1 in the league and realizing how tough the schedule will be up until the playoffs?
  • Is it feeling the pressure of shifting from just playing well to 'what are we going to do in the playoffs?"
  • Is it teams figuring Canuck's players out. It seems like most of the Canucks stars have been cooling off - Hughes scoring less and players pressing him more. Boeser stuck at 30 goals. He's had 1 goal in all Feb ( 9 games )
  • Is it Casey DeSmith not propping us up as he did previously. Last 10 games he's SV% has been between .680 and 1.000. Demko's SV% has also had a very wide fluctuation from .700 to 1.000. Pressure? How players are playing vs the Canucks and the goalies?

Could be pressure mounting as every team is bringing their very best when they're playing the Canucks. This is a valuable lesson. This is also why I'm not convinced that the team is ready to go "all the way". I still think the route to becoming champions, is that this team has to make the postseason a few times, and experience for themselves just how difficult it is to perform when they get to the playoffs, and after heartache, there's that final breakthrough after failure a few times. 

I'm not sure what fans are expecting for this team to go all the way, when they're inexperienced at the playoffs. They can't seem to handle the pressure of being on top of the league in the regular season. Makes me wonder how 'pressure' will affect them moving forward. Will they crumble tonight against the Avs? Cause you know those guys are going to want to beat the Canucks. Is there enough push back from this group of players on the team? 

• Cheers 2

Soucy must be some sort of glue guy… last time he was injured the Canucks went .500 as well…

On top of that now that Joshua is out the third line has dropped off - the third line kept us afloat while the first two lines struggled to put up points…

The coaching staff better figure something out quick work some magic to make this team rise up again while they’re missing these two players…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

47 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

the refs are counting all the pucks that go in our net DURING warm up...

final score 47 -2.

Also heard they're banking up the "too many men" on the ice calls against Vancouver at the same time.  They will spread out those calls throughout the game for game management purposes.

• Haha 2
  • MillerTime 1

12 hours ago, -dlc- said:

It's sad....I'm almost scared to watch the game.

I don't feel excited, I feel stressed out and nervous.

I didn't bargain for this shit.

I just hope for a fair game. The team's been good for the most part...I've had enough crap reffing to last me a lifetime though. I'm almost wishing for Trevor Hanson.

I'm curious what it would take for our resident ref defenders to admit that there have been bad calls? 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm curious what it would take for our resident ref defenders to admit that there have been bad calls? 

they are the best in the world

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

When the Refs make a bad call so it resulted in a Canucks win.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, -dlc- said:

It's sad....I'm almost scared to watch the game.

I don't feel excited, I feel stressed out and nervous.

I didn't bargain for this shit.

I just hope for a fair game. The team's been good for the most part...I've had enough crap reffing to last me a lifetime though. I'm almost wishing for Trevor Hanson.

Sutherland (too early).   Miss the days of Fraser and Stewart.   Especially Stewart,  scoring chances or egregious majors (sure he made some mistakes too), Stewart let the guys play.   Two refs suck.   Fire half, allow the linesman to blow down a missed a bad missed call and major penalties, take a body off the ice.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

This stretch of games will tell RT and PA whether this roster will be Cup contenders or whether more pieces are needed. Does the org go full in or make selective changes which will make it competitive for several years? Is a deep run enough incentive for UFAs to resign within the CAP restraints the org is faced with?  

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This stretch of games will tell RT and PA whether this roster will be Cup contenders or whether more pieces are needed. Does the org go full in or make selective changes which will make it competitive for several years? Is a deep run enough incentive for UFAs to resign within the CAP restraints the org is faced with?  

Usually its been the case that Rutherford previews whats coming. E.g., "major surgery" prior to moving Bo. Teasing the media before trading Kuzy for Lindholm.

Whats Rutherford said lately?

• Vintage 1