[GDT] Tues Feb 20 2024 - Vancouver Canucks @ Colorado Avs - 6:00pm PT/9:00pm ET - Denver

OldFaithfulcap

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I like to see him on the 3rd line. 

Bains, Bleuger and Garland. 

I think he'll get looks on 2,3, and 4th line. Mik and Suter can interchange with him to do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Let's all give ourselves a reminder that last year the Canucks were at the bottom of the league and the most positive projections for us were to be a wildcard team this year - at best. 

There are flaws with this team and there will continue to be flaws. Cup contending teams don't become contenders over one, single off-season. I don't know about you guys, but I want sustainable success. Achieving that is going to take longer than 1 year. 

Edit: not to mention, the team that recently went through this multi-year process is the team we're facing tonight - the Colorado Avalanche. Four consecutive seasons of early playoff exits until they finally won in 2022. 

It usually seems to require a couple tries and fails to learn what is required to take the next step. Considering where they were last year, it is a big ask to expect them to jump several hurdles at once. Hopefully they will learn from the last game and respond positively. At the level these guys are playing at, they've all been subject to terrible officiating and bad calls against. I find it hard to believe that they find it that hard to work through it.

2 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Here's hoping they can shoot on the net more if we get power plays? Screw the fancy shit, just shoot ffs !

This is usually the tried and true method of getting out of slumps just shoot the puck! Miller did that last game and was rewarded. 

Also, I don't see us taking the initiative like we were in the beginning of the season. We were coming out fast paced and hitting right from the get go. Now we are playing reactionary to what our opponent is doing. We should be getting out there right away and putting our best foot forward and see if the opponent can keep up.

We need to start the game with energy and that isn't usually coming from the top 6. Get Garland out there and get the party started. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Power play...not that I want anyone to be hurt...but the risks of making too many passes resulting in a bobble or a picked off pass increase...at least when shooting, three options, blocked (someone gets hurt?), rebound, save, cleared.  Shot guys..too much fancy stuff....I remember the same being said about so many teams in different sports when dealing with highly skilled players...keep it simple boys and crash and bang.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is usually the tried and true method of getting out of slumps just shoot the puck! Miller did that last game and was rewarded. 

Also, I don't see us taking the initiative like we were in the beginning of the season. We were coming out fast paced and hitting right from the get go. Now we are playing reactionary to what our opponent is doing. We should be getting out there right away and putting our best foot forward and see if the opponent can keep up.

We need to start the game with energy and that isn't usually coming from the top 6. Get Garland out there and get the party started. :classic_biggrin:

The good that came out of the game yesterday..... Miller scoring again, Petey scoring again, Boeser scoring again.

I dont care that we lost... seeing our stars play like stars is a great outcome. Just add Demko and Voila.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

The way Hronek has practically murdered a few guys with his point shot... I'd like to see him on the 1st unit PP shooting more. Guys are going to start getting out of his way if he breaks enough feet and ankles!

I think Myers, Hronek and Zads should be aiming at the blockers and try to bounce the rebound to opposite D...

But Zads has been doing alright just putting it in the net so thats ok too

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Could be pressure mounting as every team is bringing their very best when they're playing the Canucks. This is a valuable lesson. This is also why I'm not convinced that the team is ready to go "all the way". I still think the route to becoming champions, is that this team has to make the postseason a few times, and experience for themselves just how difficult it is to perform when they get to the playoffs, and after heartache, there's that final breakthrough after failure a few times. 

I'm not sure what fans are expecting for this team to go all the way, when they're inexperienced at the playoffs. They can't seem to handle the pressure of being on top of the league in the regular season. Makes me wonder how 'pressure' will affect them moving forward. Will they crumble tonight against the Avs? Cause you know those guys are going to want to beat the Canucks. Is there enough push back from this group of players on the team? 

It's gotten a lot more full in the player's heads. There was a time that the 'playing game to game" was working, but clearly they are in their own heads about their speciality teams and about how teams are playing them. Hughes used to shoot a lot more and now he holds onto the puck longer, because what was coming naturally to him will need to be improved because teams have scouted his fave moves. The same scouting as gone on with all the top 6 players, so Boeser sitting in the slot isn't as easy anymore as players and goales prepare for it.

Additionally the Canucks are nervous about getting penalties because their PK is nose diving, and their PP is tentative and is too pass heavy. 

Let's see how well they can go back to their "staples" and get out of their heads.

2 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

If I were Tocchet I would be showing those stats to Hughes. That's reallllly lopsided!

Not really when they win a cup and gave been a contender for years and we are just getting there.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Here's hoping they can shoot on the net more if we get power plays? Screw the fancy shit, just shoot ffs !

From what I understand, the Canucks have been trying lately to emulate the Lightning PP by creating havoc in front and firing shots from everywhere, and they showed glimpses of this, but keep reverting back to their old ways of playing passy-pass around the perimeter. I find this such a time-waster when they only have 2 minutes of PP time. They pass it around for 90 seconds, sometimes not even getting a shot on net. I'd like to see more determination and desperation.

Petey needs to grab hold of the game and drive the net. Channel his inner-Forsberg. 

29 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

It's gotten a lot more full in the player's heads. There was a time that the 'playing game to game" was working, but clearly they are in their own heads about their speciality teams and about how teams are playing them. Hughes used to shoot a lot more and now he holds onto the puck longer, because what was coming naturally to him will need to be improved because teams have scouted his fave moves. The same scouting as gone on with all the top 6 players, so Boeser sitting in the slot isn't as easy anymore as players and goales prepare for it.

Additionally the Canucks are nervous about getting penalties because their PK is nose diving, and their PP is tentative and is too pass heavy. 

Let's see how well they can go back to their "staples" and get out of their heads.

The PK is actually better. You are looking at the 5 on 3 stats? ok.... they managed the first 5 on 3. but when it was 5 on 3 for almost 8 minutes, what you expecting?

Nothing wrong with the PK they actually have been gaining ground. I have no issues with them not showing all the cards on the PP also, keep it for the playoffs.

Petey, Brock and JT all scored 5v5 and that is all we need for now. The magic needs to be used sparingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When it rains….

bad bounces, bad call, bad games. 

Colorado should be a good test but unfortunately Nucks are in their own heads and in a bit of a slump. 
hopefully Toc miller and demko can get the rest of them back on track.  
quit chasing hits, just finish checks and get pucks and traffic to the net. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Arshdeep is gonna be the Bains of their existence.

I'll see myself out.

Does anyone not want to see what he could do with some top level players?

I dont want to see Bains on the 3 or 4th line... Suter replacement. See what he can do with Brock and JT please. Suter aint cutting it, and the 4th line needs a Suter instead of Amans center.

I've said it before, and I'm sticking to it. I'm not going to worry about the Canucks at all until they lose more than 3 games in a row, even with a real stinker of a loss thrown in there. Anything can happen over a short stretch of games. The game against Winnipeg was close, they are another great team and we made a couple of mistakes. The Wild game was a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of weird shit that I'm not even going to try to analyze. If they lose tonight at the end of another oddly scheduled road trip against a Stanley Cup contender that almost never loses at home to anybody, so be it. Not the end of the world. I still fully believe that this team can beat anyone in a best of 7 series if they are firing on all cylinders come playoff time. The rest of the regular season is just a playoff tune-up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Avs used to be my least favorite team. Used to work with an avs fan and we'd argue well before bert-moore. I hated the avs so much that when i went to quebec city in 2004 i placed a puck in a hidden space in a hotel room and cursed the avs to never win a cup again. Curse did a good job and they playoff imploded a tonne until i saw them in the finals during my hockey break and decided to release the curse as tampa had won enough. 

Curses are bs of course but makes for a fun story.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

In my mind shooting is a state of mind. Of extreme confidence and focus. Almost like anger. Just willing it intimidated the net as much as possible.  Clean off the stick, right into the best danger zone possible.