[Report] Dubas listening on all Penguins' non-core players

18 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

A legit point of criticism for Dubas: he inherited an obvious mess brought on by Hextall and Rutherford... but why didn't he try to do something sooner?  It was apparent to everyone this core was stale and the Eriksson trade didn't move the needle enough.

Think there was a pretty clear directive from ownership what direction the team was to go in.

I would imagine they gave him the job saying "do what you can" while Crosby is here, and the real job starts after his retirement.

17 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Think there was a pretty clear directive from ownership what direction the team was to go in.

I would imagine they gave him the job saying "do what you can" while Crosby is here, and the real job starts after his retirement.

Would you say he has done what he can?  One big splash and one little splash?  Karlsson looks okay, but okay doesn't address the needs enough, especially on the PP.  Puljujärvi is getting scratched after six quiet games, so that's not changing much.

Should he have bet bigger?  Maybe sign Jágr for real??

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Would you say he has done what he can?  One big splash and one little splash?  Karlsson looks okay, but okay doesn't address the needs enough, especially on the PP.  Puljujärvi is getting scratched after six quiet games, so that's not changing much.

Should he have bet bigger?  Maybe sign Jágr for real??

I just don't know if Pittsburgh has the assets to make many splashes the size of Karlsson. I'd like to see what they get for Guentzel, I wouldn't put it past Dubas to do something similar to what Allvin did with Horvat/Hronek

What sports-writers do when there isn't anything else to write about: "GM <insert name here> of the <insert team here> is actively seeking to improve his team / get younger / will be a seller / will be a buyer"...no shit. TDL is 15 days away...32 GM's are actively <insert activity here>

Now, how do I get paid for writing such articles...

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I've always liked Reilly Smith, but that trade feels like it would be a trade just for the sake of making a trade. They're similar players offensively and defensively at this point but Reilly Smith is 3.5 years older. I wouldn't be against the trade necessarily, but it's not like Mikheyev has been a problem that needs to be moved on from.

What if we swapped Mikheyev for Guentzal, with some retention to make cap work?  He's only getting a million and change more.   That would definitely cost us big.     

15 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

And sometimes you have to let legacy go. 

image.png.47fc02b7fc1e804d530dc20e58a1b4a8.png 

Sometimes it works out... and sometimes it doesn't.

image.png.b764d08bf643e535c77df4079d238eed.png

image.png.7917288e9b65e0b1d9fa438bc2e9d5b3.png 

Zero regrets for hanging onto the Sedins.  They will spend the rest of their lives here.  Nothing wrong with chasing for one more, though.

Maybe, but as impressive a career as Kane had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Mario saved the Penguins

There were dark days in Chicago because of dollar bill Wirtz, but I don't know if things had gotten quite so bad that they were at risk of relocating like the Pens

I'm in the same boat on the twins, it'd have been wrong for them to go elsewhere, just as it'd be wrong for those guys to not be Pens 

It's rare, but sometimes a franchise gets a superstar player worth keeping their entire career, Pens hit the jackpot and had four of them (Fluery) who could have fit into that bracket all playing together

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but as impressive a career as Kane had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Mario saved the Penguins

There were dark days in Chicago because of dollar bill Wirtz, but I don't know if things had gotten quite so bad that they were at risk of relocating like the Pens

I'm in the same boat on the twins, it'd have been wrong for them to go elsewhere, just as it'd be wrong for those guys to not be Pens 

It's rare, but sometimes a franchise gets a superstar player worth keeping their entire career, Pens hit the jackpot and had four of them (Fluery) who could have fit into that bracket all playing together

Well, Fleury has had an interesting journey for the final chapter of his career.  You have to ask yourself whether or not a team is willing to suck for longer.  Because barring a miraculous Canucks-style turnaround, the Penguins will continue to be mediocre until Crosby retires.  And given his current level of play, who knows when that'll be.  Sid is such a competitive player that has kept an absolute garbage team afloat.  So Dubas has three choices: do nothing and pray, do something and gamble your futures for some short-term help, or do the unthinkable.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

What if we swapped Mikheyev for Guentzal, with some retention to make cap work?  He's only getting a million and change more.   That would definitely cost us big.     

Lol you’re kidding right? Guentzal has 52 points in 50 games this season. He had 70 points last year. Double and then more of Mikheyevs career high.
 Mikheyev has never gotten more than 32 points in a season.

At this point we’d have to attach a pick or prospect to Mikheyev just to get rid of him. 

15 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, Fleury has had an interesting journey for the final chapter of his career.  You have to ask yourself whether or not a team is willing to suck for longer.  Because barring a miraculous Canucks-style turnaround, the Penguins will continue to be mediocre until Crosby retires.  And given his current level of play, who knows when that'll be.  Sid is such a competitive player that has kept an absolute garbage team afloat.  So Dubas has three choices: do nothing and pray, do something and gamble your futures for some short-term help, or do the unthinkable.

Dubas doesn't have a choice outside of opting not to extend him, which is likely a non-starter coming from above

As of three days ago

https://theathletic.com/5286060/2024/02/19/penguins-guentzel-crosby-future-trade-deadline/

Will the Penguins’ decision regarding Guentzel, either before or after the trade deadline, influence Crosby’s decision to recommit to Pittsburgh?

“No,” Crosby said. “Obviously, it’s a big decision for both sides. That’s something that’s out of my control. But I don’t think that affects how I view things.

“I’m not even thinking about extensions.”

One thing that hasn’t changed: Crosby only wants to play for the Penguins his entire career.

“Yeah,” he said. “I’ve said that forever. But right now I’m trying to focus on getting into the playoffs.”

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Would it really be an NHL trade deadline period without Vegas being able to add because of injuries?

No it doesn’t because his injury won’t keep him out until playoffs unless they manipulate the timeline which the NHL should be watching closely.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Was it Mark Stone who suddenly was well enough tom play last play offs, after being LTIR?

I believe so

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No it doesn’t because his injury won’t keep him out until playoffs unless they manipulate the timeline which the NHL should be watching closely.

Well, we'll see

• Cheers 1