[PGT] Canucks @ Avs -- 3 losses for the 1st time this season

HKSR

Rather them lose a few in a row in the regular season and get a real taste of adversity than go into the playoffs overconfident and struggle against a wild card team in the first round. They also need to figure out the PP if they want to have any success of making a deep run this year. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

....and we're stuck with him for 2 more years - after this year.   

BTW......Alvin was responsible for this signing....and not the first bad signing he's done either!

Really?

Have you noticed how many good signings he’s made…???

the dude is a stud

Ladies Man Swag GIF

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I haven't heard the post game interviews but I assume it's more his comment on the player and not the refs. 

I don't envy the life of a Ref. Hockey is a fast game so it's not easy o get everything right and when you don't the fanbase (for any team) is going to just rip you to shreds. So when a dive looks legit on the Ref's perspective it's hard to blame them on that. 

Someone mentioned using AI as a tool or even a replacement for refs. But realistically that isn't going to happen since the Refs Unión will fight hard against it. At least during the game itself. 

Humans are bad enough.

AI would be horrible.

I wouldn't over-react on a 3 game losing streak but if it continues then we're in trouble. Seattle up next and we'll be pretty tired, then it's Boston at home which will surely get us fired up. Good teams don't go on long losing streaks, that's for sure. There's no way we would have gone the whole year without losing 3 in a row but if they start piling up, we're in trouble and may have peaked too soon.

No surprise this team is a mess since Joshua went down to injury but we cannot be relying on a 3rd liner so much, and it's much more than that. Our top-6 scoring was an issue, but now they're contributing here and there. Our depth scoring is definitely an issue now with our 3rd line basically neutered since putting Mikheyev on it, and our 4th line has been atrocious of late. Aman and Lafferty really haven't been very good and that coincides with Hoglander moving up into our top-6 - he was the glue that held those pylons together. We essentially need more Hoglander/Joshua/Garland-type players right now to keep these guys together and their energy up.

The defence from our forwards has been terrible of late, especially that 4th line which just seems to get eaten alive. On defence, Hughes and Hronek have been victimised a few times defensively too, just caught cheating or up ice too many times. That Minnesota game was hard to see because they just got beaten so many times. 

We're a bit of a mess right now but just need a break, some practices and I'm sure we'll get back to playing well, just have to try and slow the bleeding down and hope the Bruins game is an injection rather than a beating.

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wouldn't over-react on a 3 game losing streak but if it continues then we're in trouble. Seattle up next and we'll be pretty tired, then it's Boston at home which will surely get us fired up. Good teams don't go on long losing streaks, that's for sure. There's no way we would have gone the whole year without losing 3 in a row but if they start piling up, we're in trouble and may have peaked too soon.

No surprise this team is a mess since Joshua went down to injury but we cannot be relying on a 3rd liner so much, and it's much more than that. Our top-6 scoring was an issue, but now they're contributing here and there. Our depth scoring is definitely an issue now with our 3rd line basically neutered since putting Mikheyev on it, and our 4th line has been atrocious of late. Aman and Lafferty really haven't been very good and that coincides with Hoglander moving up into our top-6 - he was the glue that held those pylons together. We essentially need more Hoglander/Joshua/Garland-type players right now to keep these guys together and their energy up.

The defence from our forwards has been terrible of late, especially that 4th line which just seems to get eaten alive. On defence, Hughes and Hronek have been victimised a few times defensively too, just caught cheating or up ice too many times. That Minnesota game was hard to see because they just got beaten so many times. 

We're a bit of a mess right now but just need a break, some practices and I'm sure we'll get back to playing well, just have to try and slow the bleeding down and hope the Bruins game is an injection rather than a beating.

Greenway/Bjugstad-Miller-Boeser

EP40-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Bains-Suter-Aman/Kessel

Hopefully this is what we see come the TDL, or something close. 

Edited by Dom

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I haven't heard the post game interviews but I assume it's more his comment on the player and not the refs. 

I don't envy the life of a Ref. Hockey is a fast game so it's not easy o get everything right and when you don't the fanbase (for any team) is going to just rip you to shreds. So when a dive looks legit on the Ref's perspective it's hard to blame them on that. 

Someone mentioned using AI as a tool or even a replacement for refs. But realistically that isn't going to happen since the Refs Unión will fight hard against it. At least during the game itself. 

Not sure I would describe the officials as being ripped to shreds for their frequent mistakes.

The league or the officials don’t field any questions, offer any explanations or answer to any one regarding their errors. In reality they get booed for 5 minutes and then disappear into the night to repeat their performance another day. 

Hell, they don’t even identify themselves pre-game on tv like they used to and they no longer show their names on the jersey. 

No accountability and practically anonymous. I wonder why? 

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, just so you know.....anyone can throw a PGT up. 

We like to give everyone a chance to have a go at it but if one's not up, I'll pick up the slack. 

I didn't stick around last night because the negativity is getting to me. But no worries, we'll be more consistent with the PGT's.

Re the game: I thought the team played well. One goal called off could've been the difference but it is what it is.

The reffing was ok...I mean, it was a bit of a relief for me. I don't mind them getting some wrong or some soft calls..happens. It wasn't a fiasco like the last two games so overall I was satisfied with it. Let's hope it continues to be better.

• Like 3

Tocchet's line 

"I thought we played a good game. We had a bunch of chances, just didn't put them in."

just needs...." that's a good team over there" to be added to make it perfect. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Tocchet's line 

"I thought we played a good game. We had a bunch of chances, just didn't put them in."

just needs...." that's a good team over there" to be added to make it perfect. 

But it's the truth, they did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

....and we're stuck with him for 2 more years - after this year.   

Do you honestly believe that there is any team in the league who doesn't have at least one player not playing to their contract? At least with Mik, he had a really bad ACL injury which could be used as an excuse for his substandard play. (Though I haven't once heard him use that as an excuse).

I supported the signing at the time. I think the main issue is that the excellent speed he used to have has been in short supply since his return. I am not a medical professional, but is it not reasonable to expect that although he's been back that perhaps it isn't truly 100% healed and might take more time before he's back to square? (I am legitimately not sure). 

• Like 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Agreed.  2nd of a back to back in the mile high city too.  The game was close.  One bounce for us and it's likely a win.  

• Cheers 1

Call me a negative nancy blah blah whatever you want to say but: 

I truthfully believe we will be sitting 2nd or 3rd in the division by the time the end of the year rolls around. I don't think we have it in us to keep the division lead, which is totally fine. I would be ecstatic if you told me that at the beginning of the year.  

14 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yes I agree they played a good road game. If they could just get their pp to work they would have got points out of these last three games. The pp is the big issue right now. They need the top players to really step up in this department. As I said it looks like they are out there for a free skate. The pp has to look like it has purpose. They just don’t look very determined to score on it.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Don’t think we’ve had much practice time  since the AS Break.  Shows on our PP.  Soucy and Joshua are more important to our team than we think

10 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Keep it, Use it !!

Yea. Soucy and Daks are missed for sure. Injuries are bound to happen for our Canucks. It's a given what with all the travel miles we are subject to an' 'all. A normal thing that sucks but hey. We'll have Daks back soon and I understand Soucy should be back around the 2nd week of March. Kinda' like a trade deadline acquisition if ya' think of it that way!

Lotto line? Well. If it warrants such. It's kind of our weapon of war that ya' deploy when needed. Do we need it?!?!?!??? Ahhh......No need to panic yet. We're still good.

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

On the positive, Bains had a decent debut.

Think he deserves another game in Seattle.  His family and friends can drive there and watch. 

Yea. I thought so too. He definitely wasn't invisible and made a strong case for his depth position regarding call ups from the farm. From what I saw, he's legit!

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You mean.....Slipping Falling Down GIF..........giphy.gif200.webp?cid=790b7611b1q6gop49aoenx2hyid

LOL'ed!!!! The macaque and the cat are hilarious!

9 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Not a bad response for a back to back. The PP is definitely becoming a concern (as many have already said).

So...............This be one of those so called.......Moral victories?!?!?!??

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Dom said:

Call me a negative nancy blah blah whatever you want to say but: 

I truthfully believe we will be sitting 2nd or 3rd in the division by the time the end of the year rolls around. I don't think we have it in us to keep the division lead, which is totally fine. I would be ecstatic if you told me that at the beginning of the year.  

We will be fine. We played the most number of games in the league. Brutal schedule thus far. 

We will be getting plenty of rest and practice time as the season concludes while the likes of Edmonton is gonna get the gauntlet to make up for all those games in hand in a relatively short amount of time. 

Edited by 24K
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would rather the refs just don't call anything going forward until they get their act together or allow video review on penalties by another ref in the sky. I rather get missed calls than bad and soft calls.

Edited by 24K

Canucks have become a 0.500 team since the Lindholm trade (4-4-1). Losing Joshua a few games ago hurts, but c'mon, it's Dakota Joshua. Team needs more from the stars. Where's Boeser been? Is Petey no longer having fun? This team needs some veteran leadership. 

What I'd like to see:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - O'Reilly - Lindholm

Joshua/Bains - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Kessel

Podkolzin

Glad to see Bains had a good first game, hope they keep him up and make a trade or two. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Humans are bad enough.

AI would be horrible.

Generative ai ain't very good but ai for detection and classification is mature.

Problem is you can't get enough information to the ai with the restricted camera angles and lack of sensors required to get it working well. 

• Like 1

Of the 3 losses Vancouver was the better team against WPG and for most of the MIN game and last night Makar and Mackinnon looked far from special. Vancouver player a solid game coming off a back-to-back at altitude. We absolutely dominated the faceoff dot, our PK did a great job and COLs biggest stars were hardly noticeable outside of Makars one toedrag on PDG. We had lots of traffic infront of the net jamming away at rebounds, COL collapsed around Georgiev and they blocked a timely shot that woulda tied it up. 

everyone thought we would get beat up and pushed around by a big strong fast WPG team. We didnt, we pushed them around and laid the body heavily on them.

The MIN game we had a parade of pentalties to the box and several 5v3s to try and kill with very little PP time of our own, they scored 4 of their 10 with  the man advantage and two against an empty net. We scored 6/7 5v5 and we made it close up until the empty netters.

last night we played a relatively mistake free game after travel off a back to back at altitude against a team all you fuckin quitters thought would be a shit kicking and we played above COL level. Mackinnon was kept to the outside and unnoticeable and Makar was hardly a factor in the game himself and was noticeable on one fuckin play that led to nothing.

you fuckin bandwagoners can sit down and shut the fuck up. 

also Bains had himself a good game.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Canucks have become a 0.500 team since the Lindholm trade (4-4-1). Losing Joshua a few games ago hurts, but c'mon, it's Dakota Joshua. Team needs more from the stars. Where's Boeser been? Is Petey no longer having fun? This team needs some veteran leadership. 

What I'd like to see:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - O'Reilly - Lindholm

Joshua/Bains - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Kessel

Podkolzin

Glad to see Bains had a good first game, hope they keep him up and make a trade or two. 

We're not getting O'Reilly, the Preds just signed him long term & they are in the playoff hunt. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2